Ping private addresses

bon_chanbon_chan Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I was reading some information about the ping command and ICMP error messages, and then wanted to try to ping some addresses to get to see those actual messages.

My address is 192.168.0.15/24, and I tried to ping (randomly) 10.0.0.1, and it worked.
I thought that it was a bug, or that it came from my virtual machines.
Then I thought that it came from my proxy app, but it wasn't running

So I randomly tried to ping 172.31.250.15, and it worked again.
I don't get it. Why, since I'm not in the same network.
Do you guys have any idea?

Edit: Could the addresses be routers?

Comments

• dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    have you tried doing a traceroute to those addresses?
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like these addresses are being used on your network. Is this at home or work?

As dead_p00l pointed out a trace route can give yo some info on where they are located.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • bon_chanbon_chan Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thx for your replies.
    I'm doing this at home

When I trace the 172.x address, it goes through several routers of my ISP (into the Toll network maybe).

As for the first address (the 10.x... one), it says Trace complete straight after i typed the command (doesn't even go through my dsl box)
    1 1ms <1ms <1ms 10.0.0.1
    Trace complete
    Just for giggles I ran a trace to 10.0.0.1 on my network and it traces all the way through my corporate network. This is coming from my home network in the 192.168.23.0/24 range and completing at 10.0.0.1. I know for a fact that we use the 10.0.0.0 range on our internal corporate network so it's routing across my network, across my public interface and through our private structure and resolving.
    beauty of the baud.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dead_p00l wrote: »
    Just for giggles I ran a trace to 10.0.0.1 on my network and it traces all the way through my corporate network. This is coming from my home network in the 192.168.23.0/24 range and completing at 10.0.0.1. I know for a fact that we use the 10.0.0.0 range on our internal corporate network so it's routing across my network, across my public interface and through our private structure and resolving.

Unless you are connecting to your work through a VPN connection you are not hitting your corporate network. Most likely you are hitting an internal address to your ISP.
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Did you check the output of the route print?
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Unless you are connecting to your work through a VPN connection you are not hitting your corporate network. Most likely you are hitting an internal address to your ISP.

I may have misspoken. I work for my ISP so to me they're one an the same.
    beauty of the baud.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahh. That makes more sense.