Options

Icnd2

Ramair2kRamair2k Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. I have been studying for ICND2 ever since I passed ICND1 about two weeks ago. I have the Cisco Press ICND2 book as well as Todd Lammle CCNA study Guide (great book by the way.) I never feel ready. I have been studying Cisco, off and on, since 1998. I was in the IT field for 6-7 years before I got my current job working for an MSO. I am a Metro Ethernet Technician and our cores uses MPLS with Cisco CRS-8, ASR 9000, Juniper EX4200s, etc.. I wish I could land more of a hands on networking job than what I have now, but it has certainly helped me understand all this along the way.

I have heard people say that ICND2 is harder than ICND1. If so, how much harder? I feel I am ready for the test, but also feel like I need to brush up some more on a few topics. Do you ever really truly feel ready? haha...Hopefully I can sit the exam in a couple of weeks.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My impression of my ICND2 was that it was about the same if not easier. but you have to know ICND2 obj's pretty while and solid ICND1 knowledge. it will be a piece of cake. Good Luck on your ICND2
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The ICND2 is a tough exam. It goes way into depth about routing protocols, wan, acls, and switching. It goes a little bit more into subnetting. I used this website that someone else on this forum recommended. Practice Subnet Skills: A Place to Practice Your Subnetting Skills I suggest that you go to the design section (bottom left) and do vlsm stuff. This website has increased my score in subnetting by a lot on the test. I almost got 90% on that section. What kind of lab do you have?

I think things will be easier for you because you have hands on experience. Did you take the practice test that came with the book? If you score atleast an 80% on the practice test that came with the ICND2 book, I think you're ready. The practice tests that come with the cisco press books are usually harder than the regular test.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Subnetting skills are expected to be top notch by the time you get to ICND2. The quicker you can subnet, the quicker you can move through problems. Know VLSM how to summarize IP addresses.
    Knowing the command strings for NAT and ACL is hard at first.
    There's a lot of theory that you're expected to know for WANs.
    But for me I had questions on the test that the official book didn't cover - in ICND1 or ICND2. Which sucked, and I commented on the test.
    I had a lot of IPv6 questions the second time around.

ICND1 was easy - just lab basic things over and over. Know where to find things. A little bit of theory.
    ICND2 was harder - Troubleshooting will be tested here. Which means you'll need to know a) theory b) how to apply the theory with commands c) what commands to see the problems. Troubleshooting though, is the most fun.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    ICND1 was easy - just lab basic things over and over. Know where to find things. A little bit of theory.

My 1st ICND1 exam was the other way around - should have passed it. But I was an idiot and marked a couple of questions wrong on routing. I know exactly where I went wrong... *currently kicking myself*

Anyway, my first ICND1 exam was 50 questions and almost all theory. There were a lot of subnetting questions, too. I'm more prepared this time around, though. My subnetting ability has improved by about 90%. I don't know why I didn't practice more. I haven't invested any money in Boston exams, since my fiancee would kill me, and I believe that the CD that came with my book is good enough to use as a practice exam.

I can't speak for the ICND2 exam (yet). But from what I've heard it is a lot harder. Though, it's only as hard as you want it to be. If you study and put the time in, it should be pretty easy. Learn all the technologies. Set realistic times on learning everything. If you have a book, take the end of chapter quizzes - this will help you gauge whether or not you have learned the subject. If you're not getting more than 90% on the chapter quizzes, go back, read it again and see how much you improve.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Ya I pretty much average 76-84% on those exams on the CD that came with the book. I also got an 850 on my ICND1 exam
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took my ICND2 on March 3rd.. it is not as bad as people think. Yes you need to know subnetting, VTP, OSPF, EIGRP, ACL well enough to troubleshoot them. there is alot of material but it is not that bad, the questions are not excepting you to know everything and most of time you can get the correct answer by getting rid of the obviously wrong ones. Know the concepts, show commands (VTP, OSPF, EIGRP, Frame Relay) and ACL(how they work and how to apply them)..
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Anyway, my first ICND1 exam was 50 questions and almost all theory. There were a lot of subnetting questions, too. I'm more prepared this time around, though. My subnetting ability has improved by about 90%. I don't know why I didn't practice more. I haven't invested any money in Boston exams, since my fiancee would kill me, and I believe that the CD that came with my book is good enough to use as a practice exam.

LOL, my wife always gives me a funny look when I buy a new router or switch. As far as subnetting I'm to the point where I can look at network address and almost immediately comprehend it. I never though that would happen, much less that I would enjoy doing subnetting.
  • Options
    Thats kinda how I felt about ICND1. I think part of the problem is that we, naturally, amp ourselves up too much for these exams. I know that before my test, I was very nervous and anxious. Once I was done with questions 4, I started to calm down and breathe and i finished the exam with 40 minutes left with a score of 850. I will give ICND2 another week or two of studying and then I am going to bang it out. Once I pass, I am done with Cisco for a while. Between my job, two little kids at home, and the spring/summer time, I want to enjoy life and not be couped up studying all the time.
  • Options
    LOL, my wife always gives me a funny look when I buy a new router or switch. As far as subnetting I'm to the point where I can look at network address and almost immediately comprehend it. I never though that would happen, much less that I would enjoy doing subnetting.

I feel the same way. I have my test soon (i haven't booked it yet, but i know I'm going to take it). I can look at the subnet address and know what increment I need. Just need to practice and it helps a lot!

And I definitely know how you feel.... My woman hates it when there's a box on the door step and it's a switch/router :) in turn, I always go out and buy her something nice the day I get something new - keeps her off my back. hehe.

See attached photo of how my rack looks as of right now. It looks a little bare, I took all the cables off the punch down block over the weekend, I'm going to re-cable it this sunday. It was extremely messy.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    TremiataTremiata Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are making 80%+ on various practice tests then I think you will be fine. I used Boson from cisco books, boson ex sim max, printed tests from exam cram etc. Use different tests so you just arent memorizing the questions but are understanding the concepts. When test day arrives be very mindful of your time but thoroughly read the question and eliminate wrong answers.
  • Options
    Thats a lot of equipment. (must be a cisco addiction) haha I usually just use packet tracker, which I know lacks all the goodies, but is more than enough to pass CCNA. My work also loaned me a couple of 2500s and 1 24 port 2960g switch and 1 48 port 2960g switch. I have all the optics for each as well, 850nm mm fiber or single mode grey optics if I am feeling jiggy, but my job allows me to play with various types of optics. YES, even 10g!! I think in my work truck right now I have every Cisco CWDM SFP wave length possible. At 800 bucks a piece, maybe I shouldn't say that out loud..icon_lol.gif Either way, cool lab you got there.
  • Options
    Ramair2k wrote: »
    Thats a lot of equipment.
    Indeed! I think I have a Cisco hoarding problem :) Actually I've picked up mostly all this equipment rather cheap and decided to put it all in my rack. I know for a fact that I'm going to be going onto CCNP and if all goes according to plan CCIE.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    No. You will be going onto CCIE. With all that equipment, man. Im jealous.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    No. You will be going onto CCIE. With all that equipment, man. Im jealous.
    Meh, don't be jealous. Just keep searching on eBay and your time will come.

Speaking of the ICND2, what's a realistic time frame on taking the exam? I'm studying 2 hours per day on a week day and 4 - 6 hours per day on Saturday and Sunday. I'd like to go take the test in 4 weeks time, does that seem visible?
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I passed the ICND2... 3 months over holidays. It was a helluva time between lawsuits, roommate drama, holidays... blargh.

Honestly, if you feel ready. You probably are. My mistake is not doing enough theory, and doing a lot of labs. It came to bite me in the arse though.

Im hoping I can picking a set of 4 switches: 3560 and 3550s. I might as well start looking for the pieces for the IE.

• Options
    Im hoping I can picking a set of 4 switches: 3560 and 3550s. I might as well start looking for the pieces for the IE.
    Hmmm, I wonder if we're going to be in a bid-war on eBay against each other and not actually know it? I may secretly hate you. Just joking.

I'm going to try to work my studying to the best I can. Plenty of reading and plenty of labs. I ordered the Odom book today, should be here within the next few days.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I think I'm starting to realize how to study odom's books.

My secret - 6 color highlighters. It's like a cold slap to the eyeballs. It makes it more enjoyable, I guess too.

Green: Hostnames.
    -- For example: "Note that R3 has no route to 10.16.3.0/24, because R1 and R2 filter the Type 3 LSA."
    -- Allows me to focus on what's happening in the examples by cutting the sentenses in shorter chunks .

Yellow: Generally Important Text / Example Router&Switch Highlights.

Orange: All Commands (Bolded) and Command parameters.
    -- I used two orange highlighters between ICND1 and CCNP ROUTE. There's a lot of commands.

Purple: "Key Topics" and key topic bullets.

Blue:
    Any word that begins with "Example 7-2" or "Figure 7-3" or "Chapter 9".
    -- If I think I've caught what's being thrown at me, I can skip to the Blue stuff. Dissect it, see if I'm right or wrong.
    -- If I didn't catch what's being thrown at me, I can not go to the example, and go back to the main theory only.
    -- or something like that.

Pink:
    Anywhere else. Usually in figures, and arrows.

It's keeping me awake and alert by going through the section first, highlighting all of those, then reading it. It may take me 8 times to read the as to how odom is trying to explain something. But I finally figured it out and I feel like a smart man! It's the only way I can keep my focus at starting to a black/white page. Jeez.

Case in point: Type 3 LSA Filtering. After I realized it's at the area's point of view - instead of the ACL's Router Point of View. It was easy. I read that slowly about 5 times to try to understand "What are you saying Odom"

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Great advice Roguetadhg! Odom's book can be pretty confusing and wordy to read. Especially using the book as a reference and review guide, the different color highlighting is going to make it super easy to find what I'm looking for!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    to the OP Ramair2k. What's your username from? ramair make performance air filters don't they? you a car enthusiast? just wondering. Sorry this is very off topic.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    MrXpert wrote: »
    to the OP Ramair2k. What's your username from? ramair make performance air filters don't they? you a car enthusiast? just wondering. Sorry this is very off topic.

I was into cars back in the day. I had a Pontiac Grand Am GT, with RamAir intake (real one as I swapped out the stock hood) and had the thing all souped up. I miss that car very much. Now I have 2 kids and drive a Honda mini Van??icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    ^ lol sorry icon_sad.gif Thats what nice/quick wagons are for ;)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Ok guys, I am 99.9% sure I am going to book the exam, (ICND2) for this upcoming Saturday. I have gone over the Todd Lamalee book and labs so many times. His book is "CCNA" however I marked the chaperts geared to ICND2 based on my Odom Cisco Press ICND2 book. I never feel ready for these exams as I mentioned before, but I just need to take the test. I take the practice exams that come with the Lamallee book and score anywhere from 80% to 95%.

Oh CCNA, how I have longed to achieve you.icon_study.gif
  • Options
    good luck

• Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ramair2k wrote: »
    Do you ever really truly feel ready?

I agree. I didn't even feel ready for my Sec+ exam.... and i scored 871/900. Good luck with it. I am trying to get myself ready to take the composite. I think I can safely say I've been studying for 15 months now (7 months was during Afghanistan...) and I've also helped people pass there CCNA tests. It would be nice to take the test within the next 3 weeks, I just need to dedicate some time to lab after my refresher studying.