Options

anyone know Royal Holloway(ISG)'s Master in Information Security?

hi icon_silent.gif
i'm just an undergraduate student, but, i'm just surfing around on internet today, and i really wanna know the followings

Royal Holloway- UOL is a UK college and its master program sounds great
they are offering via online too

what i would like to know is

its master program VS SANS's Master programs
which is more recognized internationally ?

the problem is that SANS is not a state university, and , so, is it accredited in US?

icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    SANS is currently affiliated, not accredited, which means they are in the process of applying for accreditation.According to their FAQ, they became affiliated in March 2010. I don't know how long it normally takes to achieve accreditation.

I haven't looked at Royal Holloway yet, but I am interested in international Master's programs.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Even though I have a huge respect for SANS and their courses, I don't quite feel the STI program can be considered an academic degree. Granted, one may learn more in the SANS courses than in academia, but to me the former is still a bundle of expensive, high-quality, short-track courses.

I would also welcome comments on the Royal Holloway's program. Have been considering this program lately, it looks attractive.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I really like the sound of the SANS courses, but unless someone else is footing the bill, $50,000(!?!) for a MS that isn't accredited is just craziness. Not to mention, if you want to keep the certs active, you still have to re-certify or they will expire.

I looked a little deeper into Royal Holloway and I really like it. It's going on the short list. The biggest drawback for me is the time required to graduate: 3-5 years. I'm looking for something closer to 18 to 24 months. RH's schedule is start classes in Sept, test in May. Reasonably, you could do 3 classes at a time, if you can do it full time. You could possibly start your project between your first and second years and graduate in 2 years, but it would be quite the rush job. Also, I will have to apply by June 30, before I graduate from WGU, in order to start this year. Otherwise it will be fall of 2013 before I get to start.
  • Options
    swild wrote: »
    I looked a little deeper into Royal Holloway and I really like it. It's going on the short list. The biggest drawback for me is the time required to graduate: 3-5 years.
    The Master's in InfoSec at Royal Holloway takes 1 year full-time, or 2 to 3 years part-time distance (done through University of London's International Programme).

From their brochure:
    Distance Learning

The MSc may also be studied from home by distance learning.
    This is an ideal way to combine study with full or part-time
    employment or with family commitments. Students study
    at their own pace and normally take two or three years. For
    example, three core modules might be taken in the first year,
    the fourth core module and two options in the second, and the
    project in the third. Note that distance learning is administered
    centrally (including applications) through London University’s
    External Programme (www.londonexternal.ac.uk).
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    hi guys, thanks for replies, it helped me a lot. cos, i'm also planning royal holloway program

i like the WGU programs also, but, i think they don't accepts international students from outside of US, izzit ?
    any other university that accept students from outside of US ?
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    and, anymore inputs for royal holloway & STI are welcomed
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    The Master's in InfoSec at Royal Holloway takes 1 year full-time, or 2 to 3 years part-time distance (done through University of London's International Programme).

From their brochure:

I'm not in US and I study at WGU from Canada. As long as you have a pearson vue in your city, you're fine. Everything is online anyway. The only thing I could see as an issue for WGU is if they have to ship some material oversea (cost money). But I think they already ship for active duty so I wonder why they wouldn't for you?? And if you want to discuss with your mentor, you just have to pay the bill for the long distance charge... We are in 2012 and WGU will have to accept that the planet is getting smaller every day with all the technology. I think they should have implemented Skype years ago as a way of communication with the mentors. It's a shame they haven't yet. There is already a bunch of good online programs in USA that will accept people from across the world. Just do your research. I can name you a few: Iowa state, penn state World campus, Bonston U, almost all state college actually, HES, etc... UK have good schools, but I would suggest you a degree from USA, it's just better.
  • Options
    phaneuf1 wrote: »
    UK have good schools, but I would suggest you a degree from USA, it's just better.
    I'm sorry, better in what way? Are you saying that any US degree is better than a degree from UK?

GetCertified4Less
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    I'm sorry, better in what way? Are you saying that any US degree is better than a degree from UK?

Not any US degree but If you don't go to Oxford or Cambridge, I don't see why you would study in UK when almost all US/Canadian degree will do the job perfectly and have a better recognition in North America, and in some case the world...
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I have admission from Royal Holloway for their distance learning program and I'm supposed to start in September 2012. I have to pay the fees before 1st of August.

The only turn off for me is the cost: 13,000 GBP for the total degree. I'm not sure if it's worth the investment since my career is in Unix Administration, Servers support, storage, ..etc. Information Security isn't exactly what I do right now.

The program is great with excellent reputation, but you should be warned that it is difficult. The exams are difficult, and the failure rate is high.

Regarding the comment that US degrees are better. This is a very false generalization. It depends on the university. A lot of degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    swild wrote: »

I looked a little deeper into Royal Holloway and I really like it. It's going on the short list. The biggest drawback for me is the time required to graduate: 3-5 years. I'm looking for something closer to 18 to 24 months...

You can finish it in 24 months. In fact, most students finish in 2-3 yrs. It's just 6 modules + a dissertation. you can take 4 core modules in the first year, and 2 optional modules + dissertation in the second year. They run from September to May.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com