Options

What router are you using at home?

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm using a netgear WGR614 - Wireless G. Never had any problems, never needs to be rebooted. It's a beast.

Though, I'd like to upgrade to wireless N very soon.

I do have a spare Cisco 1841 that I've been thinking of using with a small PoE switch, linking a Wireless N Access point to it. Though, I'm not sure if that's the best way to go or not. The challenge sounds fun. Just not sure.

What is everyone else using to run their home networks?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    I'm rocking a Linksys e1000 Wireless N at the moment. Might upgrade to a used Cisco 800 series with a wireless access point sometime in the future, something for me to toy around with and configure.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    I was looking at the Cisco 881W. Such a nice router. Very a nice price tag, too.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    I also have an e2000 right now, works like a charm. rather use PFsense If I could I love this routing platform I have a large portion of my work network running on it now. It never gives me trouble
  • Options
    danielno8danielno8 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I'm using a netgear WGR614 - Wireless G. Never had any problems, never needs to be rebooted. It's a beast.

Though, I'd like to upgrade to wireless N very soon.

I do have a spare Cisco 1841 that I've been thinking of using with a small PoE switch, linking a Wireless N Access point to it. Though, I'm not sure if that's the best way to go or not. The challenge sounds fun. Just not sure.

What is everyone else using to run their home networks?

I am also running an old ADSL netgear, and also have an 1841....was looking today at buying an ADSL2 HWIC today for it and using that, but they are about £200-£300!

Is your internet cable based? i.e. presented via ethernet?
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    TRENDnet TEW-some#. It's running DD-WRT, which is a GREAT feature rich aftermarket firmware.
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Linksys E4200. I believe the best router that Cisco makes under the Linksys name.

Cisco introduces new top-of-the-line Linksys Wi-Fi Router | ZDNet

Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router: Electronics

Edit:

What about wireless adapters?

Wireless Adapter with Dual 7dbi Hi-Gain Antenna, 300 Mbps
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130081
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    tr1x wrote: »

How is it? I've been thinking about upgrading to the new E4200v2...

I have a Linksys WRT330N right now. Had it for 6 or 7 years now, maybe a little longer, can't remember. It's served me well, but starting to show its age.
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    Linksys WRT310n ... works fine for what I need it for. :) I got it for free from one of my last companies.... they used to use it for wireless AP access... they upgraded to an Aironet wireless... so.... I took it home. :D
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    How is it? I've been thinking about upgrading to the new E4200v2...

I have a Linksys WRT330N right now. Had it for 6 or 7 years now, maybe a little longer, can't remember. It's served me well, but starting to show its age.

I like it a lot, no problems so far. Has a lot of unnecessary features (being able to control the LEDs on the back and on the main logo using the web interface) but also some really handy stuff (media server and USB storage, which I've not used yet. DHCP reservations, QoS seems to work better than on my previous Linksys routers, etc etc). The range is also very good.

I can't believe you had that router for 6 or 7 years. I seem to go through them every 2. I don't know if it's the strain I put on them from constantly uploading/download (torrenting mostly) or just bad luck. I still like Linksys the best despite the failure rate I've experienced, so I only buy Linksys.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using a dlink dir-655 (revision B), works fine for me.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I like it a lot, no problems so far. Has a lot of unnecessary features (being able to control the LEDs on the back and on the main logo using the web interface) but also some really handy stuff (media server and USB storage, which I've not used yet. DHCP reservations, QoS seems to work better than on my previous Linksys routers, etc etc). The range is also very good.

I can't believe you had that router for 6 or 7 years. I seem to go through them every 2. I don't know if it's the strain I put on them from constantly uploading/download (torrenting mostly) or just bad luck. I still like Linksys the best despite the failure rate I've experienced, so I only buy Linksys.

It's been good, but having random issues lately. I have my work laptop sitting next to my personal desktop, and I use Synergy to control 1 from the other... Both connected to the router with CAT7. If I'm using the IP phone on my work laptop, I'll randomly lose connection to the laptop for up to 10 seconds at a time.

I also have these WD Live Plus boxes to stream media to. They're connected via wireless. Signal strength is 4 bars, where they sit, usually getting between 200-300mbps to them. Sometimes they won't connect to the shared folder on my desktop until I go reset the router. Same thing with Netflix from time to time, it'll start having problems connecting, go reset the router, and it's fine. Sometimes I have to reset it just to get performance back up, it won't crap out completely, just kinda slow down.

So I'm thinking it's about time for a new one, and that E4200v2 is looking good.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    It's been good, but having random issues lately. I have my work laptop sitting next to my personal desktop, and I use Synergy to control 1 from the other... Both connected to the router with CAT7. If I'm using the IP phone on my work laptop, I'll randomly lose connection to the laptop for up to 10 seconds at a time.

I also have these WD Live Plus boxes to stream media to. They're connected via wireless. Signal strength is 4 bars, where they sit, usually getting between 200-300mbps to them. Sometimes they won't connect to the shared folder on my desktop until I go reset the router. Same thing with Netflix from time to time, it'll start having problems connecting, go reset the router, and it's fine. Sometimes I have to reset it just to get performance back up, it won't crap out completely, just kinda slow down.

So I'm thinking it's about time for a new one, and that E4200v2 is looking good.

Yep, sounds like the same issues that I get every couple years. Router will just randomly start dropping packets or lose connection altogether. It will require constant resets and at that point I just buy a new one. I got the E4200 because it was the best one at the time (sick of replacing these things) and I got the warranty with it, too.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ASUS RTN 16 w/Tomato USB. Took some work to get Tomato loaded on there, but it's worked really well since.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    danielno8 wrote: »
    Yep, cable modem with ethernet. I did have it setup on a 1721 but it wasn't fast enough. Old router slow speeds.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Netgear 3700. 18 months now without a reboot. Rock solid. Love the dual band. Keep the 5ghz for me, and the lil lady gets 2.4.
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170

I usually keep routers for 5-6 years... before they die. I have used D-link products for quite some time... and like them... but the WRT310n that I got has gigabit switching... as well as Wireless N... (which only 1 of the devices in my house support wireless N... and it's not even mine)

I keep all my network equipment in a structured wiring box... and the router used to overheat and shut down. I cleaned out a lot of the cables and equipment... and now it stays pretty cool. :)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Asus RT-N16 with DDWRT. First one was DOA from Newegg but the replacement has been solid.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Netgear WNDR3700 Version 1. I've had it for a few years and it's still a top of the line router as far as the comparison reviews with the newest high-end routers go.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    WRT310n running dd-wrt....runs rock solid.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I have the Cisco E4200, it's a beast, and Ihave the N usb adapter, both work perfect with absolutely no problems
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netgear WNDR3700 Version 1. I've had it for a few years and it's still a top of the line router as far as the comparison reviews with the newest high-end routers go.

I have the same router and its been working fine without issues. Very easy to setup and configure. I was thinking in a near future get a fortinet wireless firewall to practice network and security stuff.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    I ran a Linksys WRT54g V2 w/ DD-WRT forever. I'm currently using a Netgear WNR3500L w/ DD-WRT and love it.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My workplace was gracious (we don't use Cisco) enough to pass on an 1841 to me for use. Although before that it was the standard Linksys WRT54g with tomato on it.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    My workplace was gracious (we don't use Cisco) enough to pass on an 1841 to me for use.
    Nice! I think I'll probably go with my Cisco 1841 since it'll be fun to setup. Just need a firewall to block various things.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just replaced my WGR 614 with WNDR3800.
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I was looking at the Cisco 881W. Such a nice router. Very a nice price tag, too.

If you're interested, I can sell you my 871W. Opened and powered it up but never really used it.
  • Options
    NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Linux box, 2950 switch and an 1130 AP.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I am using a pfSense box that I built. It is hooked into an 8 port switch. pfSense works very well for me, and was easy to setup.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    danielno8 wrote: »
    I am also running an old ADSL netgear, and also have an 1841....was looking today at buying an ADSL2 HWIC today for it and using that, but they are about £200-£300!

Buy a cheap ADSL2 modem - bridge mode it and passthrough to the 1841... much cheaper!
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Im running a Cisco 891W which is handing off to a Cisco 871W
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a Netgear 3500 along with a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem.

I'd like a new router like a Cisco 1941. I think 800 series routers look good but the 892 only has one Gig interface the last time I looked.

Also, waiting to see the draft 802.11ac routers to start popping out to the market.