Options

What router are you using at home?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a D-Link DIR-655 that has been rock solid, I also have a Watchguard Firebox x1000 for playing with.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cisco ASA5505, UC520, and some old Linksys APs (running DDWRT). Need to bite the bullet and switch to decent 802.11n APs soon though.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    All you chaps are making me feel inadequate for using the wireless router that came with my Verizon service. I'm not sure that I even know the brand.
  • Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently running an 877W. At work we are a Cisco partner and I'm enquiring about what it would cost to upgrade to a 887VA or 887VA-W.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Started with a Draytek 2920n .. then I had a Cisco 877 - but whilst that is an awesome router - it fails on ADSL2+ .. you have to hit the perfect combination of IOS and ADSL firmware to get it stable (the latter mostly have to be requested by Cisco as the ones on the website aren't the latest).
    I am now using a Billion BiPAC 7402NX which is so far rock solid
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I've got Linksys e2000 with dd-wrt installed. Handles 25Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload speeds just fine. I am satisfied with the hardware and the dd-wrt firmware is a beast.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Patel128 wrote: »
    I am using a pfSense box that I built. It is hooked into an 8 port switch. pfSense works very well for me, and was easy to setup.

pfSense is great. I have it running in a VM... Two WAN connections into the host, load balanced, 1 LAN connection going out to the WRT330N.

I'll get around to moving pfSense off a VM on my desktop and onto either a dedicated ESX host, or a dedicated physical box, someday.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    Cisco ASA5505, UC520, and some old Linksys APs (running DDWRT). Need to bite the bullet and switch to decent 802.11n APs soon though.

Sounds like a very nice setup!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    If you're interested, I can sell you my 871W. Opened and powered it up but never really used it.

Yes and no. I'd really like one, but since it only has wireless G I'll probably hold off for now. I'd really like to get Wireless N setup and running on my home network.

I have been looking at getting a HP MSM410 from eBay. Anyone else used these before?
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you say "router" ? or what you are aiming is the device which connects us to the Internet at home? If so, i use only single device in order to
    talk wirelessly between computers, connect them with cables, exit to the Internet and traffic control simultaneously in a single package. Thats the Cisco linksys WAG120N.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    thedrama wrote: »
    Did you say "router" ?

Well, the title says What router are you using at home.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    I was using a Netgear WNDR3400, however that has changed to an Apple Airport Extreme.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I plan to soon configure my 881W. I was able to get a good deal on one off of Craigslist.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Started with a Draytek 2920n .. then I had a Cisco 877 - but whilst that is an awesome router - it fails on ADSL2+ .. you have to hit the perfect combination of IOS and ADSL firmware to get it stable (the latter mostly have to be requested by Cisco as the ones on the website aren't the latest).
    I am now using a Billion BiPAC 7402NX which is so far rock solid
    Hi jibbajabba,

I've got my 877W running in ADSL2+ on a Be Wholesale LLU line. Are you using a LLU provider or a BT based provider?

As you rightly say, you need to hit the right combo of IOS and ADSL firmware. I've had some good results with this combo:

c870-advipservicesk9-mz.150-1.M7.bin

Init FW: init_AMR-5.0.007.bin
    Operation FW: AMR-E-0.0.026.bin
    FW Source: external
    FW Version: 0.0.26

Currently synced at 10.5Mbps downstream and 1.2Mbps upstream for 4 days.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Netgear WNDR3700 is what I'm currently using prior to Cisco Linksys and it's an amazing router!!

No issues and very easy to setup and configure. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Netgear WNDR3700 is what I'm currently using prior to Cisco Linksys and it's an amazing router!!

No issues and very easy to setup and configure. :)

You've obviously never upgraded the firmware. icon_lol.gif If you had, you'd probably be singing a different tune.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bought a Linksys E2500 two weeks ago, I really wanted to try DD-WRT but unfortunately the final version for this model is not released yet.