Options

Apple's share price tops 600 for the first time in the companys history.

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Apple Shares Hit $600 For The First Time Ever

In the article it mentioned that it only took Apple stock in 23 days to go from 500-600 and before that 34 days 400-500.

It might be time to sell if you owe Apple stock however, Morgan Stanley projects the stock to be at 720.

What is scary is the release of the iPad3 and the new iPhone 5 later this year. In theory the price could continue to trend upwards.

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't understand stocks and trading, I tried to study up on it when I was younger because i thought it would be a nice side hobby to do monthly trades. Finally I said "meh" and stuck with watching trends and stuck with just dollar cost averaging and mutual funds.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm thinking it'll get to 800, ballpark figure. People with 2 year contracts will be waiting for iPhone 5 upgrades, most will probably stick with the iPhone. But if Apple mess up the iPhone 5 and people say meh then the stock will drop real quick and questions about where the company is going after Steve Jobs will be asked... But as far as I understand it, before he died he was working on things about a year or two ahead so iPhone 5 will probably be much better than the 4S - ride that pony as long as it lasts and get out real quick.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    One of the funds my 401K invests in includes Apple stock, so I'm sure that helps. ;)

This is an area I need to do some more studying on. I think I have a pretty good investing when it comes to retirement funds like a 401K or an IRA. I want to start getting into stock trading though, gotta reach my goal of Millionaire by age 40. :P Not going to be able to do that with savings alone, interest rates for savings accounts, money market accounts, CDs, etc. are all awful right now, too low to even be worth it. You won't end up with hardly anything more than you put in on any of those. Gotta put that money to work!
  • Options
    When I switched to Android (mostly to get off AT&T) I realized there is much more to the iPhone than just the phone. Its the backend mostly iTunes that I missed the most. So I don't think many customers will ditch the iPhone because most users stick with what they are happy with and don't need much except a widely supported infrastructure with app developers.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    When I switched to Android (mostly to get off AT&T) I realized there is much more to the iPhone than just the phone. Its the backend mostly iTunes that I missed the most. So I don't think many customers will ditch the iPhone because most users stick with what they are happy with and don't need much except a widely supported infrastructure with app developers.

Our family has slowly migrated to Apple. We have an iPad 2, both my wife and I have 4s phones and the kids have the IPod touches with the cameras. I was tempted to get a macpro, but I decided to get furniture for our upstairs. My next purchase will be the Iphone 5. I use my Iphone for everything email, surfing the web, watching netflix, you name it I use it for that. My desktop upstairs I will be using for my MBA program and that's about it. For the use of minitab and Excel.

One other thing when I purchased the Ipad2 for my wife, I bought the swap/upgrade plan for 150 to get the Ipad 3 as soon as it released.
  • Options
    aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's all going to end in tears
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153

Yep. Is there a +1 for this?
  • Options

But made a lot of millionaires along the way.
  • Options
    aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□

Well exactly, the money's been made. time to walk away with your shirt.
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153

Greed and what if's never fail
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well exactly, the money's been made. time to walk away with your shirt.
    It still has market share, it still has innovation - sure there will be competition from HP, Dell & others with the Win8 tablets but the iPad as a complete system cannot be matched... it will continue to go up for me...
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So at 600 bucks you have your choice:

Would you like a new Iapd3 or one share of Apple stock?

The choice is yours.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Wish I had bought some when I was a kid. I figured it out once that you spent like $1,000 on walmart stock in 1970 you would be making around $250k/year just on dividends today if you didn't sale any of the stock.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We have two Apple devices in our home: first gen iPod Shuffle that I won as a door prize to a vendor event and an iPhone 4S that I bought for my daughter's last birthday. I understand the appeal that a lot of folks have towards these devices, but I just cannot jump on board. Apple has failed to win me over on many occasions. Sure, the devices have been "sexy" for the past 12 years... but the interface is nothing spectacular... Android and Windows Phone 7 are both very usable and fun, as well. Beyond that, Apple really disappointed me with Mac OS X... I thought it was going to be fantastic to have a Windows alternative based on a Unix kernel, but still get that feeling of being stupid when I sit in front of one... the same feeling I get when I use a Blackberry.

I also think that Apple is going to have a hard time on the innovation front, which will eventually catch up with them. For now, they can keep riding the success of the iPhone and iPad, and faster hardware and more memory will keep people happy for a couple of generations. Time will tell if they can overcome the loss of Steve Jobs... I initially thought it would work out, but with the new iPad, I see that it is going to be much more daunting for them.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    It still has market share, it still has innovation - sure there will be competition from HP, Dell & others with the Win8 tablets but the iPad as a complete system cannot be matched... it will continue to go up for me...

If you enjoy the fact that the iPad 3 was manufactured with child labor and labor abuses that haven't been seen since before the Industrial Revolution (both in your part of the world, and mine), then hey, enjoy the iPad 3.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you enjoy the fact that the iPad 3 was manufactured with child labor and labor abuses that haven't been seen since before the Industrial Revolution (both in your part of the world, and mine), then hey, enjoy the iPad 3.

We would have to go back to using pen and paper and postal mail if we wanted to avoid that. So that means so far today I did some websurfing on my iPad, updated my wife's iPhone, played a little COD on the Xbox, then watched a movie on my PS3. So I kind of abused a whole lot of Chinese people today if you look at it. Just a few months ago they had suicides at the Xbox plant at Foxconn in China.

Actually us talking on here probably contributed to Chinese abuse because our web traffic went through Cisco, Dell, HP, Intel equipment.

Foxconn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Foxconn manufactures products for companies including:
    (country of headquarters in parentheses)

• Options
    Yup, it's true...all of those companies are Foxconn customers. Seven companies of those Foxconn customers have products that exist in my home. Yet Apple was the one that always said that they were proud to be an American company...until they too had to backtrack and use cheap labor like everyone else does. Coupled with the fact that their iThis and iThat is so trendy looking and cool, they got to have their high stock price.

Apple is a huge company, but at least it isn't because of their Macs. And as a disclaimer, I do own funds that have APPL holdings. I will also concede that I'm not so much altruistic as I am a big Apple hater. (Though I wish not to get into this whole Apple sux thing....if I have to own APPL stock, so be it, but I would personally not want to be an Apple customer.)
  • Options
    Yup, it's true...all of those companies are Foxconn customers. Seven companies of those Foxconn customers have products that exist in my home. Yet Apple was the one that always said that they were proud to be an American company...until they too had to backtrack and use cheap labor like everyone else does. Coupled with the fact that their iThis and iThat is so trendy looking and cool, they got to have their high stock price.

Apple is a huge company, but at least it isn't because of their Macs. And as a disclaimer, I do own funds that have APPL holdings. I will also concede that I'm not so much altruistic as I am a big Apple hater. (Though I wish not to get into this whole Apple sux thing....if I have to own APPL stock, so be it, but I would personally not want to be an Apple customer.)

I think my point is, do you enjoy using products that according to you
    was manufactured with child labor and labor abuses that haven't been seen since before the Industrial Revolution (both in your part of the world, and mine)

Isn't a bit hypocritical to slam Apple when your profiting from Chinese employee abuses? I mean I just find it odd you slam somebody for the iPad 3 yet own stock and own products that are made in the same plants with the same employee abuse history.
  • Options
    I think my point is, do you enjoy using products that according to you

Isn't a bit hypocritical to slam Apple when your profiting from Chinese employee abuses? I mean I just find it odd you slam somebody for the iPad 3 yet own stock and own products that are made in the same plants with the same employee abuse history.

What part of
    I will also concede that I'm not so much altruistic as I am a big Apple hater
    did we not understand?

I can't control what those funds buy. I just know that I own a piece of the fruit...and it's a tiny piece at that.

While I wish I was more altruistic, I find it more funny than hypocritical that you would use the "every company on the planet does it, so it's ok for Apple" argument. Truth be told, I wish I could do a ban Chinese products thing, but as you pointed out, we'd have no electronics whatsoever. And yes, we wouldn't be having this discussion if a ban were even possible.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey, I would prefer if conditions were better, but if these kids are working I am pretty sure they are doing so to survive. If we were to yank the rug out from under them, it would probably make things even worse for them. Education and a higher standard of living will improve the situation, if that is permitted to build... who knows what is really happening in that regards, under a Communist regime (great "friends" we have there).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    What part of did we not understand?

I can't control what those funds buy. I just know that I own a piece of the fruit...and it's a tiny piece at that.

While I wish I was more altruistic, I find it more funny than hypocritical that you would use the "every company on the planet does it, so it's ok for Apple" argument. Truth be told, I wish I could do a ban Chinese products thing, but as you pointed out, we'd have no electronics whatsoever. And yes, we wouldn't be having this discussion if a ban were even possible.

I find it funny you tried to say I think it's ok if Apple does when I did not.

You tried to play the guilt trip on another poster with the child labor iPad 3 argument while I pointed out that pretty much all products we own are made under the same conditions. So I think it's pointless to try and make one product look bad while typing away on another product made under the same conditions.

I just think its pretty cheap display of bias to use labor conditions to bash one company while using products made under the same conditions. Sort of like studying for your CCNA and I bring up "hope you enjoy your raise earned on the backs of dead Chinese laborers". Does it have anything to do with it? Nope but it is a cheap way to bring up a bias.
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    Hey, I would prefer if conditions were better, but if these kids are working I am pretty sure they are doing so to survive. If we were to yank the rug out from under them, it would probably make things even worse for them. Education and a higher standard of living will improve the situation, if that is permitted to build... who knows what is really happening in that regards, under a Communist regime (great "friends" we have there).

Before the media attention Foxconn employees were making more than the national norm. After the media attention they got "substantial raises" now what substantial means who knows. So the electronics industry over there as a whole benefitted from the media attention.