Options

40% of Government Websites FAILED mandatory security update

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not surprised from personal work experience but also not surprised if this applies to the private sector as well.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Not surprised from personal work experience but also not surprised if this applies to the private sector as well.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if private sector is actually WORSE.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everyone wrote: »

Yeah true, I just know from personal experience that the military lacks the resources to harden systems up. Plenty of people government side, the problem is they hold positions they should not have.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    According to a very recent research by Veracode, government-produced code sucks twice as bad as that made by private sector:

Study Confirms The Government Produces The Buggiest Software - Forbes
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Costs tons of money for major changes or investments that the tax payers would be reluctant to fund. Apparently it would cost Iowa $30 million just to replace the software employees use to do their timesheets. It's a custom app that we login to via a terminal program from the early 90s.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818

Considering the open relay I was finally authorized to shutdown after it was harvested and started sending spam I wouldn't be surprised either. The original argument several years back was that since it was on a non-standard port the server was perfectly safe.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Costs tons of money for major changes or investments that the tax payers would be reluctant to fund. Apparently it would cost Iowa $30 million just to replace the software employees use to do their timesheets. It's a custom app that we login to via a terminal program from the early 90s.

How much you want to bet that most of that cost is support and licensing. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    40% seems to be a hot percentage these days:

40% of UK businesses breached due to spam
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Not surprised at all, but still disappointed.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    phantasm wrote: »
    How much you want to bet that most of that cost is support and licensing. lol.

Nailed that one! I could complain for hours about BS licensing and useless support!