SWITCH OCG - Extra material likely on the exam

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
For those of you who are using the OCG and haven't downloaded these "extras", you might want to take a look. These came out after a bunch of people started taking the SWITCH exam and were failing because the OCG missed several important topics. This was bad luck for those who had to be guineas pigs and take the exam early, but good news for those of us who haven't as it is extremely likely this content is on the exam.

Supplemental Planning topics

http://www.ciscopress.com/content/images/9781587202438/updates/CCNP_SWITCH_CertGuide_Ch1PlanningSupplement.pdf

Appendix B of the OCG (otherwise known as stuff that you will probably be tested on :) )

http://www.ciscopress.com/content/images/9781587202438/updates/CCNP_SWITCH_CertGuide_AppendixB.pdf
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent stuff thanks. Are you aware of anything similar for ROUTE?

Nate
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Alternatively, use a book that actually covers all the exam topics like SWITCH Simplified. :)

Nate, the Routing FLG consistently scores high marks as a good prep source.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Yes, the ROUTE OCG will be enough for you to pass the exam, but the SWITCH OCG will set you up for failure. I wish this material had been published before I took the SWITCH exam. I had a horrible time with that one.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    saved for the future. Definitely Rep worthy :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alternatively, use a book that actually covers all the exam topics like SWITCH Simplified. :)

Nate, the Routing FLG consistently scores high marks as a good prep source.

Would have definitely considered it if I had known about it prior to my SWITCH studies. I always use multiple sources anyway. I'm taking SWITCH this Thrusday and have used a wide array of resources including:

FLG
    OCG
    Cisco Netacademy Lab Manual
    INE BCMSN Lab Manual (relevant portions only)
    Boson EX-SIM MAX
    Cisco Docs and various study blogs.

I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the content but may yet reschedule if I don't have a good feeling come tomorrow night...so far so good though.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    what's the FLG?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cisco Press typically publishes two books per exam, an OCG (Official Certification Guide) and an FLG (Foundation Learning Guide). The ROUTE FLG is written by Diane Teare, and if you check Amazon you'll see it's a gem with all positive reviews. I will add to that that I greatly enjoy the book and her writing style. It's anything but a documentation ****! :)

The SWITCH OCG and FLG, in contrast, have quite a few negative reviews. The former, for missing content, and the latter, for extensive errors. That's, in part, why I went for SWITCH Simplified as my single book for that exam.
  • busines4ubusines4u Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been searching for Cisco Switch Simplified but can only find the kindle edition of the book, which is something I do not have. Does anyone know where I can pick up a hard copy of this book?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    busines4u wrote: »
    I've been searching for Cisco Switch Simplified but can only find the kindle edition of the book, which is something I do not have. Does anyone know where I can pick up a hard copy of this book?

You can get it from the publisher's site, but the forum won't show the link.