Options

foreign resume

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi!!

I'm helping someone who's from a different country with their resume. She's been in the US for a couple of years. She has held jobs in her home country before she got here. So I'm curious if I should leave the jobs that she held in her home country on the resume or not?? Should I also add on there that she has a visa?
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If the jobs from her country are relevant to her line of work, I would absolutely list them. It could still be a problem to prove she held them, depending on the country, but not one that can't be overcome or that she won't face anyway as a result of not being from the US.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    If she is not a US citizen, I would most assuredly put the visa on there. It is a MAJOR headache for a company to process a work visa and most would rather choose someone slightly less qualified than have to go through the trouble and the waiting period.

If I was her, I would also want to know the legality of the questions she can be asked regarding past employment, including if they can ask when her visa expires. There are a whole lot of questions that are not legal to ask. Most US citizens don't know about them all and I would expect that they would try to get away with some of a non-native applicant.
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats a nice thread to pick up cos as im from outside usa , i wanna look for my chance to find a job somewhere else. However, you know there are requirements when you are about to leave your home. I have almost no idea regarding such things, what i should take with me, what the possible employer will provide me vice versa. With the lack of money, lack of requirements how am i gonna find my through somewhere else? i do not know.

What would you say about it?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am from Germany but worked in different countries (Ireland / Gibraltar / Spain / UK) and I always put every job held in my home country on my resume / CV otherwise you end up having a weird gap.

What is important though I think, is not trying to translate certain educations etc. into the local language ..

For example

My official job after I was done with the degree was

Elektroniker Fachrichtung Betriebstechnik

Which would translate as

Degree in Elecotronics Engineering

However, that could cause confusion as a lot of companies do background checks nowadays .. So I listed both, my German title and underneath a "equivalent to".

One company I applied for wanted to have the degree but we don't have the same system of grading the degrees so I did the same ... used my "German" grade and gave it an "equivalent" grade ....

So far I was fine .. but it might be different to the US obviously ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p