For Programming WGU or My University choice....

itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
Looking at the program they provided in WGU doesn't seems that it does anything with basic 101 programming instead it looks like it focus on using software as your tools for database, and Jave ext... What you guys think?

Network Administrator
:

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT

Comments

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    itangel wrote: »
    Looking at the program they provided in WGU doesn't seems that it does anything with basic 101 programming instead it looks like it focus on using software as your tools for database, and Jave ext... What you guys think?

The basic Java course IS Programming 101. If you're looking for a course that focuses on Visual BASIC, you'll have to look somewhere else.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    No I am looking for Computer Science the foundation and development. I think that will be my strongest start I think, since WGU doesn't offer that I am leaning toward a University. Even though I like the package of WGU Classes+Certs+Rapid Advancement. That is why I am looking to see if anyone have had the same issue or what are your take about both routes. Mainly I will like to know what people think about both routes since I have never needed to choose between University. When I started I went straight to Devry University.

Network Administrator
    :

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No I am looking for Computer Science the foundation and development. I think that will be my strongest start I think, since WGU doesn't offer that I am leaning toward a University. Even though I like the package of WGU Classes+Certs+Rapid Advancement. That is why I am looking to see if anyone have had the same issue or what are your take about both routes. Mainly I will like to know what people think about both routes since I have never needed to choose between University. When I started I went straight to Devry University.

If you are looking for a computer science degree, then yes look toward a B&M university. Realize though that if your math is not great, you're gonna have a difficult time with programming. Many CS programs have prerequisites of pre-calc/calculus. Stay away from other for-profit models (like Devry.)

WGU's programming courses are more "do-it-yourself." Meaning you don't get any hand holding; it's up to you to "learn" how to deal with Java (which is the best language to learn, because if you can learn Java, you can learn any object-oriented language on the market...which is why it's the language of choice in universities to teach.)

I have a colleague who graduated from a B&M university. She was pretty much making 20k-25k doing mundane tasks. When she graduated with a degree in CS, she essentially joined our group as a developer. This was about 4-5 years ago, and I believe she's just about trippled her salary. Her Java knowledge allowed her to deal with my ERP's OOL and she's gotten very good at it.

If all you need is a legitimate BSc, then WGU can't be beat. Much has been said about it...you just gotta look at the discussions. If you need a CS degree, then I'm sure WY has excellent B&M schools to help you in that endeavor. Simple as that.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you are looking for a computer science degree, then yes look toward a B&M university. Realize though that if your math is not great, you're gonna have a difficult time with programming. Many CS programs have prerequisites of pre-calc/calculus. Stay away from other for-profit models (like Devry.)

WGU's programming courses are more "do-it-yourself." Meaning you don't get any hand holding; it's up to you to "learn" how to deal with Java (which is the best language to learn, because if you can learn Java, you can learn any object-oriented language on the market...which is why it's the language of choice in universities to teach.)

I have a colleague who graduated from a B&M university. She was pretty much making 20k-25k doing mundane tasks. When she graduated with a degree in CS, she essentially joined our group as a developer. This was about 4-5 years ago, and I believe she's just about trippled her salary. Her Java knowledge allowed her to deal with my ERP's OOL and she's gotten very good at it.

If all you need is a legitimate BSc, then WGU can't be beat. Much has been said about it...you just gotta look at the discussions. If you need a CS degree, then I'm sure WY has excellent B&M schools to help you in that endeavor. Simple as that.

Thank you for the advice! I really thinking that CS will be the way to go. My math is not super and I only gotten to Statistic, however; is not something I can't learn. When I was at the 3 grade I was already doing algebra but situation in my life with school made it so that I never kept up with higher math. However I feel I might have the skills to learn any math is presented to me. Is just going to take time learning the stuff just like studying for a CCNA exam and so on. I will treat it as my job, learn toe love it, and make it a creative path so I can become very talented in CS+Programming. Whether I make it or not I will not know since I never had pushed myself to that degree before. At Devry I kept a 4.0 GPA passed most exam with A&B grade. Is way they got 53K from me already lol need 24K more for a 1.5 year to graduate. Is the reason why I am backing off from the school and choosing a different path.

Network Administrator
    :

• filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are looking to go online, the University of Florida and the University of Illinois both have 100 % Complete computer science degrees online. Both are great b&m schools.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
    Oh cool Thanks! I just found Regis University from Colorado really close to me about a few hours away. But I will check those two that you mention as well and compare them.

Network Administrator
    :

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are looking to go online, the University of Florida and the University of Illinois both have 100 % Complete computer science degrees online. Both are great b&m schools.
    Link? I see 6 online bachelor's degrees offered at UF, and none of them are CS.

I've seen the University of Illinois program before. I think it's a degree completion program IE you come in with your AS and do the last two years at UofI. I think the amount of people selected for the program is very small also. I did a very deep dive some time ago trying to find ABET accredited online CS degrees.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Link? I see 6 online bachelor's degrees offered at UF, and none of them are CS.

I've seen the University of Illinois program before. I think it's a degree completion program IE you come in with your AS and do the last two years at UofI. I think the amount of people selected for the program is very small also. I did a very deep dive some time ago trying to find ABET accredited online CS degrees.

So Zartanasaurus you think going to a local Community college getting the AA in CS is best to do even though I was almost done with devry university BS in NCM?

Network Administrator
    :

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So Zartanasaurus you think going to a local Community college getting the AA in CS is best to do even though I was almost done with devry university BS in NCM?

You don't need an AA/AS to go to the UoI program, but you do need certain classes in your past program to meet their elligibility requirements.

Here they are here:

Department of Computer Science

[Note...Google works a lot better than waiting for any of us to answer....a couple of keystrokes to form Google queries is all you need to help get the answers you need for certain questions.] These forums are best to ask specific questions or advice as opposed to general questions one can ask with a Google search.]