Options

MPLS Intro

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am looking for a really simple intro to MPLS (Setting it up on a Cisco router)

I get the theory behind it, but does any one have a link to a video explaining how to set up a basic implementation of it.

From what I can see its simply a case of enabling "tag-switching ip" on the required interfaces within the MPLS cloud.

Am I right in thinking that if your ISP offers you a MPLS solution, then from the customer point of view it is simple a case of forwarding your packets to them and they deal with the labelling and forwarding.

Most of my work has been on internal networks and haven't had the need to deal with MPLS before, so just trying to get my head around the basics.

Cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    If you're only responsible for the customer edge router, then you don't need to configure MPLS. The cloud is on the SP's end, and they handle the transport. To you, it'll look like any other router to provider peering session, or a direct layer 2 circuit if thats what you're contracting them for.