Options

ICND2 literature

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have Todd Lammle's CCNA book, I broke it up into the sections that he recommended for ICND2 training.

I've also heard a lot of good comments on Wendell Odom's ICND2 book. I've been thinking about getting it, just so I can double-up on my learning. Amazon.com reviews don't seem too bad.

Anyone else used this book?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I have Todd Lammle's CCNA book, I broke it up into the sections that he recommended for ICND2 training.

I've also heard a lot of good comments on Wendell Odom's ICND2 book. I've been thinking about getting it, just so I can double-up on my learning. Amazon.com reviews don't seem too bad.

Anyone else used this book?

I currently use Odom's ICND2 book (3rd edition). I use it because its the official cert guide and it is pretty good. Definitely goes into detail with many of the topics and his explanations are pretty good, albeit a bit wordy at times. What's really nice about Odom's book is it comes with a free Boson exam sim and a bunch of extra study materials. In my opinion, the exam sim makes it worth the pick up alone. The exam sim was definitely worth it and probably one of the my best tools when studying for the ICND1. Hope that helps!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    Excellent. Thanks for the reply!

Extra material is always a bonus!

I think I'll probably purchase the book later this afternoon. Amazon is very good about getting books out the same day.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When I bought mine from Amazon, I bought the ICND1/ICND2 set for ~$30, which each book ran just a couple bucks less when bought individually. So, check into grabbing both books and save some cash.

Great books, too. Very thorough.
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Agreed!

I bought the books as a set and used both of them and the practice exams on the CDs to study for the exams. They cover the exam topics nicely and the boxed set can be used as a bookend for all of your Cisco books.

When you buy the CCNP boxed set, you will have a great set of bookends.
  • Options
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    When you buy the CCNP boxed set, you will have a great set of bookends.

AH! I know I'm going to get the official set for the CCNP, now I'm going to have a mismatch without the ICND1 from Cisco. That's going to look weird!

Looks like it'll definitely be worth my buying that book. I did think about getting the CBT Nuggets 24 package again, but I think the book should be sufficient.

It looks as though the ICND2 is mainly labbing with VLANs, ACL's etc etc.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    OsiapstndpOsiapstndp Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mac_Addy, I definitely recommend the Cisco Press ICND2 book. I've read it twice so far and it's really great at filling you in with all of the details. The practice test that it includes is of course a major plus too.

The Sybex book by Todd Lammle is also great. I've been through it just once, but it definitely reads easier than the Cisco Press book. Getting information from multiple perspectives is, I believe, very helpful with the learning process, and I think you'd benefit greatly by reading through both sets of material.

Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know about getting the Official guide for CCNP Switch. It's raised some questions in my mind since there's been numerous comments that it lacks material to cover all the exam topics.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/75528-switch-ocg-extra-material-likely-exam.html
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams