Options

Frame Relay Question

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, i started this thread because i configured Frame-Relay just in time in Packet Tracer 5.3.3. First, i placed three routers which are 2811 series. Then i connected them to the FR Cloud. After that, i entered the Cloud. Configured the DLCIs for each connection between routers. Those routers all belonged to same subnet. r1 s1 interface had 192.168.1.1/24 , r2 s2 interface had 192.168.1.2/24 and r3 s3 had 192.168.1.3/24. Later, i configured the encapsulation type on the routers while IARP is supported and enabled at each. However, i couldn't ping from r2 to r3 and the opposite. Thought of the reason what might be. icon_redface.gif
5 minutes later i found the cause. In the Cloud, i saw that i had forgotten to set up PVCs. Then, it worked. Every ping from every router to others successfully made.

I told the story above. Though, i wanna remember something which i forgot. There was a broadcast issue cos Frame Relay is considered to be a NBMA and when a distance vector routing protocol or hybrid executed between, physical interface of the hub
could cause a problem. In that case, i didn't configure any routing protocol or make static routing. Hence, they are on the same subnet. So, i can not see any broadcast problem if this is not the fault of Packet Tracer.

Then, should i think that unless we put the routers to separate subnet, we shouldn't apply routing and configure subinterfaces?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)