Options

WGU Students that used/using GI Bill

SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
I was wondering if I could get prior/current service members to hone in on this thread and share their experiences. I am trying to research as much as possible on my options (which are Chapter 1607 or the 9/11 GI Bill.)

It seems if I choose 1607, I can budget my money a lot better. Whereas the 9/11 seems to be a lot more unreliable/unstable in terms of payments.

Any tips are welcome. :)
WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???

Comments

• Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the Post 9/11 G.I. bill I'd use this calculator to figure out what you'd have coming in The New GI Bill - Calculator
    As for the 1607 you can just look at the payments amount for 2012 to know how much you'll be getting per month. ie. 60% of active duty gi bill for 12 months served.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    I'm using the post 9/11 bill and very happy with it. The VA and WGU make it very smooth. The VA directly pays my tuition to WGU and then sends me a check each month. If your going to WGU you'll only get half of the BAH since its online, but you will also get $500 per term for books.

TheCudder posted a good link to see how much money you will be getting. I used that as well when trying to figure out how much benefits I would get at different schools.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I used the Post 9/11 at Excelsior, was easy to deal with and worked out great (I also took 1 class a semester at UMUC, for the housing, and had no problems). There were a couple times, over a year, where they were late (paying the school) but no schools ever cared and it didn't affect me at all.

That said, I won't use what is left of my GI Bill on WGU... the school is too cheap, that and I got my company to pay for it! Even if my company wouldn't pay, I would have done it out of pocket.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    How does the book stipend work? I've also heard long term it may be better to start using 1607 and then transfer to 9/11 later on.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say to call the GI Bill's 800 number (1-888-GIBILL-1) and talk to them about it. I'm currently under the old GI Bill, and the VA rep told me to stay there until I exhaust my benefits. Once I drain the old GI Bill dry, she said to then apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm still using Ch30 benefits so I can't comment on your choices but I just wanted to mention that WGU's VA department is really great. I always hated dealing with that department at my last school but I have had nothing but positive experiences working with the VA staff at WGU.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    malenursemalenurse Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used REAP during my time @ excelsior before they starting the BAH.. I am think about about converting and am doing the research now but Id like to hear any updated experiences