Options

Monitoring Port for Flapping

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi All,

Is there a way on a switch/router to monitor ports for errors/flapping and having the info saved to a file. All this done automatically.

Can this be done with just the switch/router, without requiring any other source?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    well, the router monitors interfaces going up and down by default, itll log them to the console. Or you can log them to a syslog server.

Depending on your version of IOS, you do have the option to log to flash, look into the logging persistent command
  • Options
    controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Hi Forsaken,

When you say log to console automatically. Is this the status messages we see when logged into a router via a console cable? Could these be seen when logged in via telnet also?
    When logged into the console, can i see all previous messages logged to the "console" during times I've not been connected to the router physically?

if logging to a syslog server, does this server just run some special software to be able to receive the logs?

I'll check the logging to flash tonight.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Yes, issue the terminal monitor command while logged in via telnet and ssh, and you'll see the log messages pop up as if you were consoled in.

Yes, you can see log messages that you missed while you weren't logged in, if you setup logging to the buffer. Then they will be visible with the show logging command