Options

Lab Config with 4 routers and 3 switches. Input/suggestions?

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Hi,

Just starting to configure my lab, and I've been looking at various pictures/threads on this forum to get an idea on how to 'best' to do the physical config to be able to lab/test as much CCNA material as possible w/o having to re-config the cabling much. I know it may not be possible to have ONE physical config to handle most everything, but at least to start in the right path maybe?

I have a 3640 that I picked up with NM-4as for frame relay "cloud", and have 3x 2620s all with wic-2t cards. If I set these up all for frame relay, I wouldn't have an edge router I guess. Would it be okay to set up 3640 with TWO of the 2620s instead of all 3?

That way I could connect the 3rd 2620 to one of the first two 2620s on one end and eth0 will connect to 2950s as router on stick (with 2950s maybe set-up for vlans/stp together?) or use the 3rd 2620 for virtual interfaces maybe?

Would it be a waste of split up the 3 switches and put one on each end of frame relay config, or best to have the switches together?

What have guys found working good for your lab?

Anything wrong with this config above, I would love to hear other suggestions on basically how you would set up existing hardware I have on hand. I can see myself getting another router/switch if necessary, but first would like to put what I have to good use pretty much.

thanks!
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I will admit that I don't have too much "lab" experience, but i can refer you to a couple of sites.

Wendell does have some example topologies on his website, here's the CCNA topology page CCNA Topologies . There is one other topology that isn't shown on the CCNA that is listed on CCNP.

Even though you have physical lab equipment, you can still look at the different topologies that are used with GNS3 Vault's labs
    Labs | Table

I am sure there are more out there, government networks do block all the good webpages though.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Thank you, that helps. I'll look more into maybe combining them together and see what happens.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.