Options

Failed 70-680 Yesterday

MichaelG65MichaelG65 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Accidentally posted in wrong forum, reposting here. Hello all, I'm new to the site. Failed the 70-680 exam yesterday with a score of 525. Test had 80 questions. I used the MS official book (which after reading through these forums I found out is junk), MeasureUp practice exam, and a video course from my training provider. A lot of questions on the test were not covered by my study material. Thanks to everybody offering their suggestions on better study material. I will be getting the Poulton book. Should I get a hard copy of Kindle version? Definitely going to watch Professor Messer videos. My training provider is now providing Crammaster for practice exam.

Comments

• Options
    AdRockAdRock Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I booked my exam for 10th May.

Dreading it now. Can you remember any of the questions? I've been doing mock exams but i guess they won't apply much like what other people have said.
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    I am starting to study for this... Not happy to hear you didn't pass it!
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MichaelG65 wrote: »
    Accidentally posted in wrong forum, reposting here. Hello all, I'm new to the site. Failed the 70-680 exam yesterday with a score of 525. Test had 80 questions. I used the MS official book (which after reading through these forums I found out is junk), MeasureUp practice exam, and a video course from my training provider. A lot of questions on the test were not covered by my study material. Thanks to everybody offering their suggestions on better study material. I will be getting the Poulton book. Should I get a hard copy of Kindle version? Definitely going to watch Professor Messer videos. My training provider is now providing Crammaster for practice exam.

Try this free from Microsoft:

Deploying Windows 7 - Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Deploying a new desktop operating system can seem like a daunting task. In addition, sorting through the wealth of information about deployment can be overwhelming. This track provides a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to each step in the Windows 7 deployment process from application compatibility testing and volume activation to image creation and data migration.

Also, the TE user Mr. altjx has some wonderful notes..I posted those below.

Here are my 70-680 study notes
    I've passed the 70-680 back in March of this year, and figured I'd throw my notes in this thread as well for anyone who's taking the exam soon. I'm unsure as to how many times they may have changed the exam, if at all, but good luck to all of the future 70-680 exam takers!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2526790/70-680%20Notes.pdf
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    AdRock wrote: »
    I booked my exam for 10th May. Dreading it now. Can you remember any of the questions? I've been doing mock exams but i guess they won't apply much like what other people have said.
    I can remember a few. As other people have said the Microsoft book is not good. I was using MeasureUp as mock exam scoring 92-98 percent.
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I have pretty much given up on the Microsoft book at this time. Between the bad reviews from others on this site and the large number of mistakes I've caught on my own I don't see any reason to continue reading that book. I did read from every chapter and was able to learn a lot from it, but now I feel like I need other material to work with. I'm wathing the Professor Messer videos, and the Free ITTraining videos on Youtube and am reading the study notes that other have posted.

Another thing I've found helpful is to open up the help topics within Windows. I figure Windows would have the most accurate info on a topic. The help topics go pretty deep and have some good info in there. Hopfully I will be scheduling my exam by the end of this week.

Do you think by taking the test you now have a more accurate idea of what to study?
  • Options
    Yes I feel after seeing the test I know more of what to study. I had already been using technet and microsoft help to study. Helped bring up my scores in the MeasureUp practice exam (Which is as I said before way easier than the actual test) I started watching the Prof Messer videos yesterday. Trying to decide to get the hard copy or kindle version of the Poulton book. Kindle is $20 cheaper. My training provider is using a new practice exam, CramMaster. So far a little bit better than MeasureUp, but still not as hard/ complex as the real test.
  • Options
    GRODTGRODT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□

You'll crush it next time, don't sweat it.

Will
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I can remember a few. As other people have said the Microsoft book is not good. I was using MeasureUp as mock exam scoring 92-98 percent.

But how many times did you take the practice exams? Their question pool is limited, so after maybe 2 attempts you remember the questions and answer them based on your memory that answer 'C' was correct without reading and evalutating the questions. This is one reason why I rarely use practice exams as part of my study routine.

One way to extend the life of a practice exam as a study aid is to fully review the question and all the answers, and then figure out what would have to change in the question to make answer B correct instead of C. This can teach you how to really evaluate the conditions in the questions and work through the different answers. If you can immediately eliminate 2 answers, and then see how the remaining two answers are really different, you stand a better chance of answering the questions about which you were not immediately sure.