Options

Install Exchange Tools on Win7x64

DeepEmissionsDeepEmissions Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone, I first want to say thank you in advance for any advice I can get about this situation.

I work with a Coorporation and we use Exchange Server 2007 for our email client. I am attempting to get the Exchange Tools installed onto my Active Directory but it claims everything installed correctly but yet there is no Exchange tools when I open up a user profile in AD.

We just went to Win7 64 bit laptops in place of our x86 workstations, I have opened "Turn Windows Features on or off" and selected both the IIS services, Remote Server Admin Tools, and RSA Tools. I Run the Exchange Server Manager installer again and it still says everything is secussfully installed.

If I missed any info needed please let me know and I will provide as much as possible.

Comments

• Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone, I first want to say thank you in advance for any advice I can get about this situation.

I work with a Coorporation and we use Exchange Server 2007 for our email client. I am attempting to get the Exchange Tools installed onto my Active Directory but it claims everything installed correctly but yet there is no Exchange tools when I open up a user profile in AD.

We just went to Win7 64 bit laptops in place of our x86 workstations, I have opened "Turn Windows Features on or off" and selected both the IIS services, Remote Server Admin Tools, and RSA Tools. I Run the Exchange Server Manager installer again and it still says everything is secussfully installed.

If I missed any info needed please let me know and I will provide as much as possible.

You need to install the tools by running the Setup program on the Exchange 2007 DVD or ISO. Once you are in there, click on Custom Installation and install the Management Tools. This should be what you are looking for. For more details...

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=install+exchange+2007+tools+windows+7+x64&oq=install+exchange+2007+tools+&aq=1v&aqi=g1g-v1g-j2g-b5&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1930l9734l1l11408l50l48l10l2l3l2l522l3027l31.4.5-1l36l0&gs_l=hp.3.1.0j0i15j0i18l2j0i8l5.1930l9734l1l11409l50l48l10l2l3l2l522l3027l31j4j5-1l36l0.frgbld.&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=cee8ecbff93de3cb&biw=1920&bih=979
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Okay guys @cknapp78 I did try that but becasue I am not a Domain Admin (among other rediness checks I failed) I could not get it to work.
    the solution we found was to simply add (space) /32 to the end of the string after .msc. Example: %SystemRoot%\system32\dsa.msc /32.
    I do not know why this works though. I am assuming maybe my exchange tools pack was installed in the "Program Files (x86)" folder instead of the "Program Files" folder.

Anyhow, that was my solution. The exact source to the solution is unknown since I didnt find it. There was me and another IT tech looking for a solution to this problem.

Many thanks!
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You won't find any extra tabs in ADUC like you did with Exchange 2003. Everything is done through the EMC or PowerShell. Sounds like you have it installed, you're just looking in the wrong place. Open the EMC up, go to the Recipient section, and search for your user there. ;)
  • Options
    Okay? So this is my second attempt to reply to this thread to let everyone know that the issue is resolved.

The fix is adding \32 to the end of the target line, ie:
    %SystemRoot%\system32\dsa.msc /32

I want to thank everyone for their efforts, I just want to post my solution that was found in case anyone else runs into my situation.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Okay? So this is my second attempt to reply to this thread to let everyone know that the issue is resolved.

I want to thank everyone for their efforts, I just want to post my solution that was found in case anyone else runs into my situation.

What solution? Exchange 2007 and 2010 are managed from a separate console. They don't integrate with ADUC, as Everyone already said.
  • Options
    okay well... explain this...

This is after clicking "properties" of the user in AD.

Was I incorrect in saying we are using Exchange 2007? As I am pretty sure that is what we are using. Or maybe I am saying this wrong. we are not managing any accounts through AD, were just creating the initial email address using the Exchange features found in AD after installation.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    okay well... explain this...

This is after clicking "properties" of the user in AD.

Was I incorrect in saying we are using Exchange 2007?

Yes, you are using Exchange 2003. No worries though, I have never tried to install the Exchange 2003 tools on Windows 7 x64. I either connected directly to the Exchange server or used a VM. If I have to, now I know. And it's good to know there is an easy fix for this - installing the Exchange 2003 tools on Vista was a major PITA.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yeah that would be 2003. OMA was discontinued for 2007. With the management tools you should see something liek this:

figure_05.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the correction! At least now we know.