Options

Finding the impossible - USB to Serial adapter that works under Win 7/64

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I recently ordered half dozen of these from monoprice.com after their website said they work under all versions of Win 7. Well, couldnt be further from the truth.

Driver does not install properly. It will install under safe mode, but is not recognizable when rebooting to normal mode. Tried 3 different drivers from their tech support folks, all did same thing.

Checked with Cables to Go, and all of theirs say Win 7 compatible, but reviews say BSOD under 64 bit.

Anyone have a good adapter that works under Win 7/64?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I would try theirs:
    http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=244

I've had good luck with several 'odd' adapters from them when others have failed and I didn't feel like making it work. My stuff, I don't mind, for others, I need to trust it to work after I leave.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, every USB-to-Serial I've bought hasn't worked correctly for me. I finally gave up and bought a PCI-to-Serial adapter for my desktop. Kind of frustrating when I want to use my laptop though.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I have one here in my bag I bought at Micro Center which works fine. Unfortunately it doesn't have a brand on it.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bought one on ebay for about 3 bucks that works great in win7 64bit. I believe it's a prolific.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Prolific was the one that did not work. Tried all 6 on 3 different machines.
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm using this one to configure my switches right now, never had a problem with it using Windows 7 64 bit.

Amazon.com: Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter, PC, MAC, supports Cisco Break Sequence: Electronics
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Digi. Digi should be your only choice, IMO.
    Products - Digi International

Their products very consistently work. They come with long warranties and they will support you directly if something doesn't work. We've used them to get serial to USB, serial to Ethernet, and Ethernet to USB and have had nothing but success.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've used several that work. I left them at my last job so I don't remember the brand name, though.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    had this problem few weeks ago with win 64

its a driver issue. thing is that it was very hard to find a working driver because the manufactors website (somewhere in china) was down ...

let me check my home server if a got the driver at hand and i will put it somewhere for you to try.

got it

it the prolific VISTA drivers which work for me under win7 64 bit. just be sure to remove the old driver first then apply this one:

PL2303.zip
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    This is my weapon of choice. Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB to RS-232 Serial Converter TU-S9 (White): Electronics

It works in pretty much any OS under the sun.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We use

UC232A - USB-to-Serial Converter

works fine under x64 (see driver tab)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Sweet, ordered it :)
    jmritenour wrote: »
    This is my weapon of choice. Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB to RS-232 Serial Converter TU-S9 (White): Electronics

It works in pretty much any OS under the sun.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Ordered half a dozen of the Trendnet ones from Amazon. CDW had them at the same price, but would not do free shipping.