Options

Help Please: Oz temp/contract jobs

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey,

just looking for some help / advice from members here. Im just finishing up my masters degree and are considering my next move. Ive always wanted to head to Oz for a year on a working holiday visa and im pretty certain im going to do it. Long story short is that its been a lifelong dream and life is to short to let these opportunities pass by. Initially my aim was to attack the CCIE R&S but after thinking it will take at least 18 months, ive decided to put it on hold and pursue my life dreams before my 20's is out! The CCIE can come after, theres plenty of time for that. I have a good job atm but its starting to go stale and im being overlooked for the good projects.

So all in all, if i head to Oz i'll be looking for some temp/contract jobs in the network field. My work visa would allow me to work up to 6 months for a single employer. So im preferably looking for some 3-6 month contract opportunities in a big city. I think i would prefer melbourne but would be willing to go anywhere to get a job. Experience wise i dont think it should be a problem as i have 4 years network experience with various Cisco/Juniper products.

Could anyone help with the following questions?

1. would it be easier to quit work in the UK, go to Oz and find work once im there?
2. If i tried to get work in Oz whilst still in the UK, would employers be willing to wait for my notice period and the travel needed for me to get to oz considering this could be 4-6 weeks in total.
3. Does anyone have any contacts they can put me in touch with over in Oz to help make my dream come true :)
4. Anyone have any advice about this in general.

I would love to hear some opinions from Aussies and anyone else who has made a similar move! If the contract thing doesnt pay off then i guess i dont mind washing the toilet floors to make it come true! :D
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mate if you were already in Australia, I'd have definitely recommended you and got you atleast an interview at my company. We were looking for 2 network engineers, one junior and the other mid-senior, the new hires started this past Monday. Ah well. My company is Perth based, there may be Network opportunities there, I'll find out and pm ya in a day or two.

It will be easier for you to get yourself here first and then look for work. Highly doubt any employer would fly you over for interview. That said, if you did find a job in Oz whilst still in the UK, most employers understand you need to turn your notice in at your current employer - that shouldnt be a problem.

There are quite a few jobs out there, the market does seem to fluctuate every now and again. Sydney has more opportunities than any other city with more money being offered, but the living costs there can be outrageous. Personally, I'd recommend Melbourne or Perth. Perth has warmer weather and the mining sector is booming which means more jobs. It's closer to UK too (I think).

Like I said before, I'll find out if there are any vacancies at my company in Perth (there probably will be as the company is a major MSP in Western Australia). If there are, I should be able to get you an interview.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey man,

if you could that would be awesome! Just pm me for any info you need and i can fire it across man :)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking