Options

Systems Admin Interview next week tuesday

jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
I am scheduled for a training next week monday and tuesday and I accepted an interview for next week tuesday. What should I do guys? Should I go to the interview and call my boss and tell him what or should I reschedule the interview? It seems like they are trying to do everything in one day.

Thank you,
James

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jamesbrown wrote: »
    I am scheduled for a training next week monday and tuesday and I accepted an interview for next week tuesday. What should I do guys? Should I go to the interview and call my boss and tell him what or should I reschedule the interview? It seems like they are trying to do everything in one day.

Thank you,
    James

You never told us what job you are doing now.........

I am presuming you are some help desk analyst or break fix tech, I would go for the interview. 99% of most people would rather be a SA over a password reset ninja.

Go for the interview.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the issue is more that he can't get out of work for his scheduled interview time. At least, that was my interpretation.

I would reschedule the interview if absolutely necessary. Honestly, though, I would probably call in sick if it were on this short of notice.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I think the issue is more that he can't get out of work for his scheduled interview time. At least, that was my interpretation.

I would reschedule the interview if absolutely necessary. Honestly, though, I would probably call in sick if it were on this short of notice.
    I'm a desktop Admin. My goal is to be a systems Admin. I have been in the desktop support role for over 7 years and i have worked with Servers - Built and Manage. I really want to go for the interview because they didn't give me an alternate time to attend the interview. it seems like they are trying to conduct all the interview on one day.
    i am thinking of calling off sick.

thanks
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I hate these situations. Whats the training for? Also, how often do you land SA interviews? If it's training that will make you look golden and you can't reschedule it, don't pass it up. If you think the interview is a golden opportunity, then call in sick and miss a day of training. Which is more important?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    I hate these situations. Whats the training for? Also, how often do you land SA interviews? If it's training that will make you look golden and you can't reschedule it, don't pass it up. If you think the interview is a golden opportunity, then call in sick and miss a day of training. Which is more important?

trainging is for Help Desk Support and I think I'm done with this desktop/help desktop stuff. I am calling off sick. By the way, it is my first systems admin interview.

Thanks
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are qualified for systems admin why would they bother sending you to help desk support training? Just some mandatory training you already know?
  • Options
    If you are qualified for systems admin why would they bother sending you to help desk support training? Just some mandatory training you already know?

I am qualified for a sys admin position, but there are just times that you feel like employer just don't see it.
  • Options
    Support center analyst - training.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Go for the interview. It's a move up and you'll be given an oppertunity to prove you have the ability to do it. Good luck!
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Call and reschedule the interview. Tell them that you have training classes for your current position that day and you still owe it to your current employer to attend.

Any reasonable company will respect your decision to continue giving everything you have to your current employer.

Look at it from their side: Would you rather hire the guy who's willing to lie and disrespect the company that they work for or the one that continues to work hard.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Call and reschedule the interview. Tell them that you have training classes for your current position that day and you still owe it to your current employer to attend.

Any reasonable company will respect your decision to continue giving everything you have to your current employer.

Look at it from their side: Would you rather hire the guy who's willing to lie and disrespect the company that they work for or the one that continues to work hard.

I tried to reschedule but they are trying to conduct all the interviews in one day. The training I'm going to right now is just something any help desk guy should know - Customer service. I am really confused right now on what to do.

Help!!!

Thanks
    James
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In a perfect world you would reschedule the interview.

However, as we all know this is not the perfect world and, if you feel that this position is for you and you can ace the interview then call in sick.

A friend of mine did the same thing. She even told the company that she applied with that she called in sick because she didn't have any vacation left to take a day off. They hired her anyway :)

Sometimes you just gotta take a leap...
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a desktop Admin. My goal is to be a systems Admin. I have been in the desktop support role for over 7 years and i have worked with Servers - Built and Manage. I really want to go for the interview because they didn't give me an alternate time to attend the interview. it seems like they are trying to conduct all the interview on one day.
    i am thinking of calling off sick.

thanks

do wat you got to do.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I tried to reschedule but they are trying to conduct all the interviews in one day. The training I'm going to right now is just something any help desk guy should know - Customer service. I am really confused right now on what to do.

Help!!!

Thanks
    James

Take a two hour lunch break.
  • Options
    lordy wrote: »
    In a perfect world you would reschedule the interview.

However, as we all know this is not the perfect world and, if you feel that this position is for you and you can ace the interview then call in sick.

A friend of mine did the same thing. She even told the company that she applied with that she called in sick because she didn't have any vacation left to take a day off. They hired her anyway :)

Sometimes you just gotta take a leap...

What should I tell my boss is the reason I can't make the training? I really want this job and i really think that I will ace the interview.
  • Options
    higherho wrote: »
    Take a two hour lunch break.

I'm in training, I really can't take 2 hour lunch. Is there a way to go into the training late?
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    what happend to calling in sick?
  • Options
    what ahppend to calling in sick?
    What about my certificate for completing the training. Do you think they will issue it to me?
  • Options
    Is this a certificate that is only issues by your company? If so that it will be worthless outside of the company. I would ditch the training. Sounds lame anyways. Just tell them you ate lunch and think it was bad and leave for the day cause your feeling sick. Don't put off an interview that could change your life for something that won't get you ahead in any way.
  • Options
    Is this a certificate that is only issues by your company? If so that it will be worthless outside of the company. I would ditch the training. Sounds lame anyways. Just tell them you ate lunch and think it was bad and leave for the day cause your feeling sick. Don't put off an interview that could change your life for something that won't get you ahead in any way.

interview is at 9am. Training starts at 8am. My boss is in the same training.
  • Options
    If this is happening tomorrow then call in sick. If it is happening today then say a personal emergency at home has come up and you have to leave. I am not sure when this is happening. What country/area are you in? Either way get out of work and go to this interview.
  • Options
    If this is happening tomorrow then call in sick. If it is happening today then say a personal emergency at home has come up and you have to leave. I am not sure when this is happening. What country/area are you in? Either way get out of work and go to this interview.

Im in the US. You think I should take a day off or half day?
  • Options

HDI-SCA training. My boss is in thesame training. I'm thinking of calling off but doyou guys think he'll try to make me come in?

Thanks
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What should I tell my boss is the reason I can't make the training? I really want this job and i really think that I will ace the interview.

Diarrhia. Definitely go with Diarrhia.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go to the interview. Reschedule the training or reschedule the interview.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Go to the interview. Reschedule the training or reschedule the interview.

They won't reschedule the interview because they want to conduct all interview in one day.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HDI-SCA training. My boss is in thesame training. I'm thinking of calling off but doyou guys think he'll try to make me come in?

Thanks

is this one day only training or is it over the course of a week? if its a week, then you can miss a day and still be fine.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go for it!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    I would go for it!! :)

Got there, they wanted someone with Cisco\VoIP\IVR experience but they posted for a systems Administrator. I wish I could Punch someone in the face for wasting my time.

:)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Well, the fact that they were inflexible regarding the interview date/time was a red flag. Did this come through a recruiter or was the position posted somewhere?