Options

Systems Admin Interview next week tuesday

2»

Comments

• Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Well, the fact that they were inflexible regarding the interview date/time was a red flag. Did this come through a recruiter or was the position posted somewhere?
    It was posted on the companies site. Now, i know if a company is not flexible, its a no no.

Thanks
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    jamesbrown wrote: »
    Got there, they wanted someone with Cisco\VoIP\IVR experience but they posted for a systems Administrator. I wish I could Punch someone in the face for wasting my time.

:)

I would get your CCNA, if you do not have the cert. This way you can be prepared for next time. Fill in the gaps for competition.
  • Options
    I would get your CCNA, if you do not have the cert. This way you can be prepared for next time. Fill in the gaps for competition.

I came there prepared for the Server 2008 R2 questions, but they kept asking Cisco\Switches\IVR\AVD-something like that.
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    Reasons like this is why I want to become certified in wide range of vendors and technologies. HR and corporate is always looking to throw a curve ball on interviews, in the attempt to find someone well rounded and do more than the average candidate.
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got there, they wanted someone with Cisco\VoIP\IVR experience but they posted for a systems Administrator. I wish I could Punch someone in the face for wasting my time.

:)

Don't sweat it. Apparently systems administration is a dying field anyways...
  • Options
    Don't sweat it. Apparently systems administration is a dying field anyways...

What field should I be looking at? I already got my 70-640,70-642,70-643 certification. I am currently studying for the 70-647 now.
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    you are in the same boat as me.. been in a support role for 7 years also. do you have any certs ? Im trying to get promoted to network admin...
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    What field should I be looking at? I already got my 70-640,70-642,70-643 certification. I am currently studying for the 70-647 now.

A field you love. Don't believe in this hyper bole that system admins are going to die. This is not like Novell where IPX went to the way side and TCP/IP took over. System Admins are going to be a need for a while . However, I think system administrators need to be versatile with their knowledge (network administration, some programming knowledge, etc). If you have your Microsoft certs your going to be golden for a while and heck you could probably land a job at Microsoft themselves.

Its safe to say that a System Administrator should also know Networking decently well (at least CCENT level depending on the environment). I think SA's are just a generalist type of position until you get into an engineering role / design role
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□

I was joking because of the other thread about some article claiming systems administrators being doomed. Personally, I thought the article sounded like BS.

I think Systems Administration is a great field to go into and personally I'm focusing on Linux just because that's how I roll. :D