Options

Interesting Job "Perks"

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
I was working with some colleagues today (who work for a different company, but we are on the same project). I asked him how he got a MacBook Pro from work since everyone on the project is issued a standard Dell laptop. He said "I told them when they hired me this is what I needed". So it got me wondering, has anyone ever requested or gotten any "perks" like that during job negotiations? Example: "I will accept the position, however I would like a MacBook Pro 15" with 256GB SSD, 8GB of RAM"? Or maybe asking for "extra" vacation time "I understand the standard vacation allotment is two weeks. However for me to take this position I require four weeks spotted to me on the day I start".
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you can ask for more money, you sure could ask for a laptop and be able to justify it. Dont know anyone who has been able to do this though. It'll be interesting to know. Good thread!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I think to be able to accomplish this, I believe you would have to have a skillset that is in high demand in order to justify an odd perk. Though I have decided to try and get a MacBook Pro if/when I ever interview for another job :)
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly, if and when I change jobs, I'd consider it. I've been fairly unhappy with the main computer I've had to use at every job I've ever held. Working at the level 1 helpdesk, I understand, by being the sysadmin or lead engineer and using crap just doesn't make sense to me. I don't know if I'd view it as a perk, really. I'd view it as giving me the right tools to do my job. That does mean at least a small SSD, at least 8GB of RAM, and at least six-core or quad-core with HT. I wouldn't ask for a Macbook not only because I see no benefit in Macs, but because they point is not to get a fancy or expensive computer -- it's to get a fast one that gets the job done.

It should be easily justifiable, too. If you think about what we make -- even entry-level helpdesk guys -- the small premium to provide the right technology to keep us efficient doesn't seem like an unreasonable requirement.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with ptilsen. Asking for the tools to get your job done is one thing, asking for a Mac specifically is another. I can see if you do something that can only be done on a Mac, but for the vast majority of us here a Windows (or linux) machine can do everything needed and for a cheaper price tag. If you get the option of a Mac or PC then go for it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I finally asked if I could build myself a workstation, this was prior to us rolling out new desktops for everyone. Best thing I ever asked for. I will always ask to build my own workstation going forward at any employer. Having a full tower that i can swap cards and hard-drives in and out of is a huge bonus, makes my job so much easier. Extra NIC's, serial ports, dual monitors....etc...
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I was all set to get a nice shiny new MBP as my main work computer at my last job.

Then Dell acquired the company. Since Dell eats it's own dog food, let's just say that plan was.. altered.

At my current job, I asked for, they said no, we run Windows, then I asked if there were any rules against running a linux VM on it. There weren't, so I was ok with it. If I was forced to use Windows as my only operating system, I'd be able to do it, but I'd be distinctly unhappy about it, and would probably move on from the job in short order.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Everyone runs an HP desktop....minus me. Built mine. I always need to have the faster or cooler stuff. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was all set to get a nice shiny new MBP as my main work computer at my last job.

Then Dell acquired the company. Since Dell eats it's own dog food, let's just say that plan was.. altered.

At my current job, I asked for, they said no, we run Windows, then I asked if there were any rules against running a linux VM on it. There weren't, so I was ok with it. If I was forced to use Windows as my only operating system, I'd be able to do it, but I'd be distinctly unhappy about it, and would probably move on from the job in short order.

You always make me icon_lol.gif....Dell eats it's own dog food...lmao

Anyway, I've asked for a lot from my boss and she always comes through. So far I've gotten 12GB of ram, 4x 10krpm drives, a 25" monitor, a secondary NIC, 3 or 4 books and a few other things. I'm state/government though, so maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe she's just nice...
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    I honestly don't care what my work computer is, or how cutting edge it is. I work most efficiently with a unix commandline, so as long as I get that, and can open excel spreadsheets, and I suppose check my email in case my boss says something important, I'm good to go.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I honestly don't care what my work computer is, or how cutting edge it is. I work most efficiently with a unix commandline, so as long as I get that, and can open excel spreadsheets, and I suppose check my email in case my boss says something important, I'm good to go.

When you get your CCIE maybe you can ask for midget strippers and special hard to find Mexican candy from the Plane of Mischief. I bet you could have gotten away with such crazy demands if you were a higher up at Enron back in the day.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Krones wrote: »
    When you get your CCIE maybe you can ask for midget strippers and special hard to find Mexican candy from the Plane of Mischief. I bet you could have gotten away with such crazy demands if you were a higher up at Enron back in the day.
    This is a bit off topic but...Dude did you play EQ? You weren't a rogue were you?
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    This is a bit off topic but...Dude did you play EQ? You weren't a rogue were you?

Busted... man. Seriously, WTF. haha. Wow just wow. That was how many years ago - 10 years?
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Busted... man. Seriously, WTF. haha. Wow just wow. That was how many years ago - 10 years?
    Lol about 10 yes. If you're the same Krones, I remember you running around with Ragebringer and Velium Spear XD
  • Options

If I could get away with demanding that Innoruuk drop my Briarzephyr, I just might consider it.... hateful bastard
  • Options
    I didn't mean for this to become a Mac vs PC thread. I was just using a coworker getting a Mac as an example (further to that, what he does a Mac really isn't conducive for so he has to do some hacks on it to make the product work on a Mac. But he also uses VM's on it extensively).
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My first IT job they lowballed me so I asked for two weeks of vacation to start. They went "blah blah, we only do one week after the first year", but they would give me a week to get me to take the job. There is always wiggle room, though it might not always be pay. I think most places are happy to play with vacation time or computer equipment.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At my next job I am negotiating an extra week of vacation so I can use it for when my son gets sick and I need to keep him home. I make a ton more than my wife but dang her benefits blow away mine.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's a cool perk!