Options

Associate degree and certification CCNA and CCNP

2»

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got into IT with a HS diploma and some HTML/JavaScript know-how. I didn't get my first certification until I had about two years of experience. Two years later, I started my undergrad and went full steam ahead until I completed that... then it was more certifications.... then it was the graduate program that I am working on now.

While none of it is necessary, I regret not completing things sooner. I would have been in a better place by now. Just because you can get your foot in the door does not mean you will be making good money. Not having the credentials can mean a junior job for longer... while you may always make it and eventually get the promotion, you will be negatively impacted if you are not always working to improve yourself.

As for the CCNA... looks for a school that offers the Cisco Networking Academy. The CCNA is covered through the Cisco Networking Academy in either two or four semesters. This is a great way to really learn your stuff if you don't have experience. If you do have experience in the subject matter, you will be bored. Self-study and WGU would be more appropriate for an experienced individual. Cisco has a networking academy page that will let you search for local schools that offer it. Some vocational programs at high schools even offer it, and it is open to adult learners, as well. Many universities offer it, too. My school offered it and required the first semester for all CIS majors, and completing the full program fulfilled all of your elective courses. I did the first two semesters and got bored... but I had tons of experience and had been studying, on and off, for about six years... so I wasn't typical. I took the CCNA exam a couple of years later without any further studying or cramming.

I would say that if you can find an AS program that includes the Cisco Networking Academy, that will be your best starting point. Really focus on finding a good job at the completion of your AS program (also, one that offers tuition reimbursement and supports further certification) and then complete your BS part-time and slowly work on your CCNP... perhaps over the course of an entire year. At the same time, make sure that you get progressive experience that supports your growth. If you settings up 1700 series routers day in and day out, that really isn't the kind of experience that is gong to help you with the CCNP level. Make sure you work things in tandem for the best situation. If you do this, you will be at an appropriate level of experience by the time you complete the BS and the CCNP.

Beyond, maintain a good work ethic and have attention to detail.

All of that is easier said than done...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    john55john55 Banned Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    CCNA is something you can earn in two pieces by doing ICND1 and ICND2. You can study this while at school.

That's what im doing now in these day !!!!. thanks.