Options

degree now or later

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Alright so I'm doing a double major in Network Security and Network Administration.
If I switch to a single major and stick with Network Security then I will be done next Fall.
If I stay the double major, then I will graduate with both degree's in Fall13 if I get the CCNA.
If I don't get the CCNA then I will be done sometime in 2014.
I've started college in 2007 and I feel it's been way to long for me to be in school.

If I finish next Fall then I could start the MSIA program because I know for sure that my GPA will meet the requirements. But I will also apply for ROTC.

I could finish quicker but I plan on doing study abroad next summer for language.

I figure it would be good to get the NS degree now to just get it over with. I really don't like to give up on my plans but I honestly don't think it will be worth getting both degree's. I found out that if I did just get the NS degree and then go back and get the NA degree, I would have to take the classes for current course list. I'm currently on the older course list from 08.

One main reason to do the Network Administration courses at my school is because we have the CCNA/CCNP/CCNA:Voice/Security for the Net academy. Plus we get to take free refresher courses after we graduate.

Do you think it would be worth it to just get the NS degree? Would it be difficult for me to get a job because I just have the Network Security degree instead of the Network Administration degree? I have an Associates in Network Administration.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd just get the one and move onto the MSIA. The master will help more than two bachelors.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd just get the one and move onto the MSIA. The master will help more than two bachelors.

I agree with this 100%.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

It sucks that I have to think about dropping the second major.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What do you think will be the positive of a second major? Especially on that is so close to your first?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    I would choose the shortest route to graduation! Once you have your bachelor's degree reevaluate the situation and make decisions from there.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would agree with most get the Bachelor's asap and then sit down decide on the other arenas.
  • Options
    What do you think will be the positive of a second major? Especially on that is so close to your first?

I think that having the Network Administration degree with the cisco concentration for CCNP/CCNA:Security will help reinforce the self study that I will be doing. Plus being in the NetAcad, I'll have access to up todate information on those levels.

The only problem is that if I drop the second major (network administration) from the double major then I will have to go through the updated degree program of next year. I will have to take even more classes and then it will take even longer to get the second degree.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think that having the Network Administration degree with the cisco concentration for CCNP/CCNA:Security will help reinforce the self study that I will be doing. Plus being in the NetAcad, I'll have access to up todate information on those levels.

The only problem is that if I drop the second major (network administration) from the double major then I will have to go through the updated degree program of next year. I will have to take even more classes and then it will take even longer to get the second degree.

Ok, but what do *you think/expect* will happen if you finish with both undergrad degrees? You obviously have some expectation, or else this wouldn't weigh so heavily on your mind.

Don't answer that question expecting/anticipating a counter-argument; keep it real, and share with us your expectations.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Ok, but what do *you think/expect* will happen if you finish with both undergrad degrees? You obviously have some expectation, or else this wouldn't weigh so heavily on your mind.

Don't answer that question expecting/anticipating a counter-argument; keep it real, and share with us your expectations.

The expectation that I have is to have as much knowledge as I can before I fully leave school. I really really like routing/switching/security. I don't want to be one of those new guys that just mess everything up on accident and not know what I'm doing.
    Booya!!