Options

Erase flash lesson

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Issued this on one of my 2950-12s to really understand the process. I had a couple c2950 bin files on hand, so wanted to learn the recovery process since I've never done this before.

Putty i guess does not have xmodem, but Tera Term worked. Set the baud speed to 115200 on the switch and in the term software and only took a few minutes to load 3meg file.

Didn't "brick it" :)

This guide helped -
Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image - Cisco Systems
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Took me a few HOURS to transfer a file that was only a few megabytes in size using XModem... Did the same transfer using TFTP and the IOS was transferred in seconds.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Took me a few HOURS to transfer a file that was only a few megabytes in size using XModem... Did the same transfer using TFTP and the IOS was transferred in seconds.

Nice! I am going to need to set tftp up and see how that works next :) Can still be done even when flash is empty yes?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□

If you are lucky and have tftp access... I think switches like the 3750 series don't have romom with a tftp client so XModem is your only way of doing that...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    controlcontrol Member Posts: 309

Is it possible then to get an ip address on the switch/router from rommon to use tftp when the flash image has become corrupt?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    control wrote: »
    Is it possible then to get an ip address on the switch/router from rommon to use tftp when the flash image has become corrupt?
    rommon 11 > IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.5
    rommon 12 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
    rommon 13 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    rommon 14 > TFTP_SERVER=192.168.1.10
    rommon 15 > TFTP_FILE=c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-13a.bin
    rommon 16 > tftpdnld

My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Nice! I'll deff need to blow it away again and try tftp :) Now, the newer devices also can just use CF cards right?
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I did that on a production switch while trying to upgrade once when I was new to the game , luckily it was during the sites off hours icon_rolleyes.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ive seen this done in a maintenance window of 2 hours

gladly I was just an observer 