Entry Level Job Salary

joluis9joluis9 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'll be graduating in about a year with a Bachelor of Science in Network and Communications Management. I am wondering what would be an estimated entry level salary (Jr network admin or something around that). By the time I graduate I will be (hopefully) CCNA certified and probably working on my CCNP, also I would have around 18 months of and network admin intern (doing basic stuff, doing reports and managing the LANs, make sure the networking environment is stable.Installing and configuring some LAN hardware. Helping out cabling team and field engineers)

What do you think? You would say I should know becuase I am on the field but the internship are non-paid so I have no clue what to expect out there. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Depends on your value / worth. OF course with no experience your not going to be getting 50k + (unless you work in an area with a high cost of living ,etc). think is entry level pay is 30k to 35k if you did any part time work experience during school or something then 40k. It really depends on three things, experience, credentials, worth ethic.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on a lot of things.

Really.

Cost of living, How much you need them, how much they need you, How much budget they have to work with, past experiences with members, certifications, experience, quality and quantity of experience, what you did, what you know, what you can prove you know, what school you went to, military experience, work ethic, quality of references.

Overall - it comes to how much of a silver tongue you have. That's how much you're worth.

I make low twenties. Cost of living = High, Wage = Low. Tourism, go figure.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    I honestly wouldn’t worry about that. I'd finish school first trying your best to get the best grades. This will attract top tier companies to invest in you which will ultimately give you a nice starting pay. Have reasonable expectations, know your area IE cost of living.
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    Concentrate on what you can control now - your grades.

That seems like quite a long internship, which you should be making count. Although, in reality, when you are newly qualified, you won't really be in a position to demand a particular salary, you'll get the going rate at the company for new graduates. You will be better placed to negotiate on salary with good experience behind you, and the next year or two will fly for you.

You should be aiming to try and secure employment in the place you did your internship, they might be prepared to offer you more, not just in terms of salary but career progression and training. They (and don't forget, you) have had 18 months to decide suitability.
  • joluis9joluis9 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your comments. I am taking care of my grades. I should graduate with honors, and should be in good position about certifications. Let's hope I get the right job. I have read that a lot of people take the route of taking positions like help desk to start with. Is that a smart way? For me I don't think it is. But it's just me. It all depends in your situation I guess. Also, I have thought about doing a master before looking for a real job, would a master look way better on my resume or it would not be a huge improvement? Since experience is very important in this field.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Currently, I'm "paying my dues" on a hell(p)desk.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • joluis9joluis9 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif That's was funny.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Who's to say..

A Masters w/ little/no experience wont hurt, personal experience told me "while we believe you can do the job, we're looking for experience and understanding of the full picture, not just this path." Being in the technical field, some interviewers will get technical and very specific (where only on the job knowledge will apply, not from books, and they'll know this). On the other hand, I've been at an interview where the person on the other end was happy to accept me in, until it was noticed there was no degree, no job.

I've seen a lot of IT starts off from helpdesk, but not everyone (there's those who excel). I've also seen (more than once) those w/ mid-high credentials skip everyone else in shop at hire w/ literally no experience, just papers...

Who's to say? /rollseyes
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i am graduating in may and have just recently recieved a full time offer from the place i did my internship. they are offerening me in the low 40s
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Sounds to me like your getting good experience with your internship. Play that up big on your resume and when in interviews, coming out of college with the CCNA and some good experience is going to help a lot ...if your lucky you may be able to skip help desk or desk side **hides from help desk people** not that they are bad but he sounds like he is interested in the network side :).
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Seems you are in the right track.
    Get good grades, participate in leadership stuff
    and work work work.
    Get good experience, if you can manage, but only if you can. Yes go ahead and try the ccna.
    But basically with the internship and your degree you should be fine for now.
    The salary like others say will depend on the location.
    I know salary is a big factor, but also a big factor is landing your first job outside college.
    If you can land a job that doesnt pay so well but you will learn the whole world in it, go for it.
    I know $$$ pays the bill, but dont disregard a first job just because it doesnt meet your requirements of $$.
    meh
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Keep interning, volunteering and getting certs. Get active in a user community also.

San francisco area... $35k. After a year $40 then it will spike from there to $60ish and level off until you build a strong professional network.

btw, I never recommend someone without experience go from ccna to ccnp directly. Consider a couple other CCNA level certs. Example, CCNA: Voice, CCNA: Security and maybe Linux+ and MCITP. Diversify your baseline experience.
    -Daniel
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Keep interning, volunteering and getting certs. Get active in a user community also.

San francisco area... $35k. After a year $40 then it will spike from there to $60ish and level off until you build a strong professional network.

btw, I never recommend someone without experience go from ccna to ccnp directly. Consider a couple other CCNA level certs. Example, CCNA: Voice, CCNA: Security and maybe Linux+ and MCITP. Diversify your baseline experience.

Really? I mean, you wouldn't recommend someone go for their ccnp level certification because of no experience! That is like saying that you should go for your bachelors or masters degree without experience. These certifications are nothing more that companies trying to pay people less money and venders trying to make more money. Get as many certs as you can, it doesn't mean you have to list them all on your resume, but you can add them after years of experience for another job opportunity. Not only do you have the certifications already, your next employer will be willing to pay your more for them. Don't ever allow someone to tell you not to get certified because their not competent enough to do so with or without experience. I'm on my way to obtaining two masters degrees without experience and should I stop because I don't have relevant work experience? Just absurd!!!
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    joluis9 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'll be graduating in about a year with a Bachelor of Science in Network and Communications Management. By the time I graduate I will be (hopefully) CCNA certified
    I'm unfamiliar with that degree title and so would immediately look at the school's name.
    San francisco area... $35k.

$55k-$70k if that BS is from a well-known university with a good gpa. $35k is in the right range if it's from a DeVry, online school, poor grades, etc.
    Is that a smart way? For me I don't think it is.
    If it's a well-known university and a good gpa you've paid your dues and may skip help desk.
    and probably working on my CCNP
    I will echo that a CCNP won't help you much at the entry level. It's better to obtain more CCNA specializations.
    mean, you wouldn't recommend someone go for their ccnp level certification because of no experience! That is like saying that you should go for your bachelors or masters degree without experience.
    No, it's like telling an aspiring pop star to focus on their vocal and people skills, before figuring out what to wear to the first academy awards they are invited to host. Life is short. We do not have infinite time/money to learn. It therefore makes sense to focus our efforts where we will get the most bang for our buck.
    I have no clue what to expect out there. Thank you in advance.
    Focus on soaking up as much as you can and getting good grades. That will influence your initial salary.
    No, it's like telling an aspiring pop star to focus on their vocal and people skills, before figuring out what to wear to the first academy awards they are invited to host. Life is short. We do not have infinite time/money to learn. It therefore makes sense to focus our efforts where we will get the most bang for our buck.

I'm sorry but obtaining as much knowledge as possible will advance you faster than anything else when it comes to being put on new projects because you have the skills or knowledge for a particular technology. I believe that getting a solid foundation of routing and switching is essential. A basic CCNA isn't gonna cut it because it just touches the surface of what networking is about. I had the privilege of going though the Cisco Academy years ago, which I gained a lot of knowledge along with hands on experience. People who have just a CCNA can't even do subnetting in their head and I feel that using training videos to continue to solidity ones knowledge will help immensely. When it comes to specializations, I feel you should diverse yourself with voice, design, security, and wireless. Then, continue to certify based on your direction of your job. I still would recommend taking other certifications at the professional level than repeating your current status so you can gain more knowledge and make yourself more marketable. I'm not sure if I will go for my CCIE R&S but just studying the material and going though the labs will make me a better network engineer than anyone at a CCNA level. Don't limit yourself just because you don't have the job or money to pay for the exams. IT is ever evolving and the best thing to do is to continue to study no matter what! I'm amazed how people believe these exams can't be accomplished because you don't have experience. Certifications are no different than taking a class and passing a final to make the grade.

ps. your analogy makes no sense
    Degrees
    Certificaions
    Daniel333 wrote:
    I never recommend someone without experience go from ccna to ccnp directly. Consider a couple other CCNA level certs. Example, CCNA: Voice, CCNA: Security
    I will echo that a CCNP won't help you much at the entry level. It's better to obtain more CCNA specializations. We do not have infinite time/money to learn. It therefore makes sense to focus our efforts where we will get the most bang for our buck.
    MrBishop wrote: »
    I'm sorry but obtaining as much knowledge as possible..
    Our disagreement had nothing to with whether to obtain "as much knowledge as possible" but rather what to obtain and when. I am agreeing with Daniel333 that a CCNP with zero experience is not so impressive and that someone with a CCNA and zero experience would have a better chance of landing a desireable job if they focus on obtaining more entry-level certifications, such as CCNA specializations. That is based on my industry experience.
    I'm amazed how people believe these exams can't be accomplished because you don't have experience.
    We never made any such statement. Re-read the above if you desire to understand what was actually said.
    I believe that getting a solid foundation of routing and switching is essential.
    Employers who want a solid foundation with go for the person with the CS/EE degree. The person with the CCNA + CCNA Voice + CCNA Security better look hungry and be willing to do whatever it takes if given a chance. ;)
    People who have just a CCNA can't even do subnetting in their head
    Speed is typically not expected of entry-level candidates. That's something you look for in experienced candidates.
    We will agree to disagree. I believe anyone getting into Cisco should have a CCNP R&S with or without experience. After that, go into any specialized area you want too. I see many IT jobs requiring CCNP along with a Bachelors degree to get considered nowadays. I will go with completing my CCNP then on to CCNA voice, design, then security.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□

I have my CCNA and no work experience and I'm able to subnet pretty quickly in my head. My dad had people working for him who WERE experienced and couldn't subnet to save their lives.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I have my CCNA and no work experience and I'm able to subnet pretty quickly in my head. My dad had people working for him who WERE experienced and couldn't subnet to save their lives.

LOL, I seen a post on another board the a CCIE couldn't subnet and was fired within 3 days. How do you make it to that level and can't subnet? I know its confusing in the beginning but after gong over the same damn numbers over and over it become second nature.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
    I see many IT jobs requiring CCNP along with a Bachelors degree to get considered nowadays.
    Intermediate-level positions often require CS/EE + CCNP + years of experience. A no-experience person is not going to have much success landing intermediate-level positions.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
    How do you make it to that level and can't subnet?
    The CCIE R&S covers routing and switching. My background is fairly balanced between routing and switching, but some folks specialize, for example in switching or security. Most of the people on the team I just joined are CCIEs--I'm the exception as usual--but each has his pet areas where they are much stronger.

I can subnet in my head, but I don't see subnetting speed as a good barometer of networking ability. I would expect anyone CCNA+ I hired to be able to figure out a subnetting question given time.
    The CCIE R&S covers routing and switching. My background is fairly balanced between routing and switching, but some folks specialize, for example in switching or security. Most of the people on the team I just joined are CCIEs--I'm the exception as usual--but each has his pet areas where they are much stronger.

I believe everyone should have a strong core and being diverse at your level is a good thing. Why keep recertifying in the same area when you can branch out.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
    I believe everyone should have a strong core and being diverse at your level is a good thing. Why keep recertifying in the same area when you can branch out.
    That should be obvious. Why did you keep practicing subnetting, once you'd already learned to do it? To master it! I am a subject expert in some areas; granted, ones of far more complexity than subnetting. I plan to continue reinforcing my knowledge to stay well-ahead of others; and only slowly branching out.

Although I do plan to lick the CCIP and CCIE soon. :p
    Why did you keep practicing subnetting, once you'd already learned to do it? To master it!

What? I never said I continued to learn subnetting once I learned it! Subnetting is basic stuff and all CCNA's should understand how to do it without pen & paper or calculator! The don't teach much at the CCNA level in Cisco...its very broad.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
    What? I never said I continued to learn subnetting once I learned it!
    I continue to practice and review once I learn a topic. It's how one stays at the top of their game. There are few at my level in my domain; I know most, and am striving to learn all on a first-name basis. That I have made it this far supports the validity of my approach. I'm mostly looking to the few who've made it further for next-steps. At one point I didn't even think it was possible to breach this level. It's amazing what's out there for those willing to push in just the right ways. And yet, so many struggle only to get stuck at one ceiling or another. My advice to the OP is offered in good faith; take it or leave it, and may all find their own version of success.
    I continue to practice and review once I learn a topic. It's how one stays at the top of their game. There are few at my level in my domain; I know most, and am striving to learn all on a first-name basis. That I have made it this far supports the validity of my approach. I'm mostly looking to the few who've made it further for next-steps. At one point I didn't even think it was possible to breach this level. It's amazing what's out there for those willing to push in just the right ways. And yet, so many struggle only to get stuck at one ceiling or another. My advice to the OP is offered in good faith; take it or leave it, and may all find their own version of success.

Finally, something I can agree with you on. I know when I went back to college I never though I would continue on to a Masters degree and the same is holding true for Cisco certifications. I remember sitting in class and said I would never want to go after a CCIE and now my opinion has changed. Partly, due to how Cisco restructured their certification tracks and plus I'm now learning more from online forum users going after the same goal.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□

I obtained ccna without work experience and was able to easily subnet in my head
    for entry level without experience seeking ccna certification i'd recommend based on what ive seen is to also learn bgp routing protocols. Not saying you will be designing and implementing just so you can say yes when they ask if you know bgp and they throw a question at you in the interview. Going for ccnp without experience and putting it on your resume isnt really the best thing they will expect the world from you if you have it.
    @dmarcisco, I know where you're coming from but to stand out form the pack I would still place CCNP on my resume. People have gone through training camps, self taught and the Cisco academy to gain their CCNP and I don't think it should be held back just because you don't have the experience. Putting it on your resume, states that you have the knowledge of the technology over someone who has never seen it before. Depending on the job description and experience required will determine if they hire you or not.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
    Hey why not as long as it's done without a brain ****. The candidate has to be well versed in the subject matter to sound like the man so the non experience part can be overlooked.