Options

VMware Certification

Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5

Become a VCP5

There are different paths to VCP5 certification based on your background. Choose your path and complete the three core validation components:
  1. Attend a qualifying VMware authorized course.
  2. Gain hands-on experience with VMware vSphere 5.
  3. Pass the VCP5 Exam
VMware Certified Professional

The above info is from the VMware website on certification. Do I have to attend an authorized course to obtain certification? In addition to passing the VCP5 exam? I know the course is listed, but wanted to find out if anyone knows the fine print on VMware checking on course attendance, before certification is granted.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Yes you have to take the course. It's a mandatory requirement. When you take the course you register on the VMware website with the class. You can take the test before the class if you want, but you won't be an official recognized VCP without the course requirement.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    But you can take the official VCP courses at any one of many community colleges at a significantly reduced price than what VMware's own VCP course costs.

VMware IT Academy Program Participants
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    Thanks for the info JD! I cannot believe VMware charges $5500 for an online course that lasts 5 days!

[SIZE=+1]Class Information[/SIZE]:

Name:

VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.0]

Date:

04/16/2012 - 04/20/2012

Time:

8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Class Price*:

$ 5495 (USD) + Tax

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    VMware expects business/employers to pay that price for *the best* training available. We individuals/hobbyists will pay the VMware IT Academy prices at our local colleges and be train by non-VMware-employed people instead.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the info JD! I cannot believe VMware charges $5500 for an online course that lasts 4 days!

[SIZE=+1]Class Information[/SIZE]:

Name:
    VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.0]

Date:
    [URL="tel:04/16/2012 - 04/20/2012"]04/16/2012 - 04/20/2012[/URL]

Time:
    8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Class Price*:
    $ 5495 (USD) + Tax

In fact, the Fast Track is 5 long training days, and that's not the only qualifying cours for VCP.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    VMware expects business/employers to pay that price for *the best* training available. We individuals/hobbyists will pay the VMware IT Academy prices at our local colleges and be train by non-VMware-employed people instead.

A large volume of official training is delivered by VCIs employed by or working on behalf of VATCs, rather than VMware-employed VCIs. VCI requirements are the same regardless, and Academy courses are delivered by non-VCI instructors (they only have to be VCP)
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Anyone ever heard of this class being offered online? Good thread imho!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Anyone ever heard of this class being offered online? Good thread imho!

Someone in the dallas vmware usergroup forum posted about it being online at North Lake.

VMWare Academic Program - North Lake College

This thread also talks about another college:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/72449-online-distance-learning-official-vmware-course-1000-a.html
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have heard of the online VMware courses being held everywhere but, all courses aren't cheap. Now, I heard the local community colleges can be cheaper than New Horizon's etc... I will get my VCP one day but, I will need to have my employer pay for that $1500-$3500 class.

IT Training, Microsoft Training, Cisco Training, Computer Training, Certifications - New Horizons Computer Learning Centers
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have heard of the online VMware courses being held everywhere but, all courses aren't cheap. Now, I heard the local community colleges can be cheaper than New Horizon's etc... I will get my VCP one day but, I will need to have my employer pay for that $1500-$3500 class.

Alot of those training options do not meet the requirements for the VCP. Always make sure the class you are taking is approved by VMware.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Alot of those training options do not meet the requirements for the VCP. Always make sure the class you are taking is approved by VMware.

I agree VMware approved only because I would really be disappointed if I take the exam and pass but, my course didn't fit the requirement.
  • Options
    AythanNyahAythanNyah Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    But you can take the official VCP courses at any one of many community colleges at a significantly reduced price than what VMware's own VCP course costs.

VMware IT Academy Program Participants

Im really new to this but can you help me understand what is needed? I found an Academy program school near me but all they offer is an Intro to VMWare class and Vmware Vsphere class. Do I need to take both and then take the test? Trying to figure this out?
  • Options
    AythanNyah wrote: »
    Im really new to this but can you help me understand what is needed? I found an Academy program school near me but all they offer is an Intro to VMWare class and Vmware Vsphere class. Do I need to take both and then take the test? Trying to figure this out?

They need to offer the vSphere: Install Configure Manage course. Here's the formal VCP requirements: VMware Certified Professional