Options

Resume - How many pages do you have?

2»

Comments

• Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At first I used to always use one page, but I wasn't getting many interview offers. Then I went to a career fair and someone looked at my resume and said I was underselling my experience. Now I use two pages and it helped me get a lot of interviews, although my current job I got because of a good contact. I don't think one page is enough for my education and experience. Since companies are always looking for someone with strong soft skills, I try to emphasize it with my two years experience abroad. Of course my technical skills are at the top, but I try to connect them with my in a way where I can edit the skills to match the job description. Some employers are going to see my experience in Japan and Korea as valuable, most probably won't and only care about my technical skills.
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    The poll results are showing 2 pages as an overwhelming majority for resume length!

The board members pushing for 1 page, please sanitize your resume and post. Personally, I would like to see a successful 1 page resume that captures 10-20 years of experience.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The poll results are showing 2 pages as an overwhelming majority for resume length!

The board members pushing for 1 page, please sanitize your resume and post. Personally, I would like to see a successful 1 page resume that captures 10-20 years of experience.

+1. Would love to see that.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I have 2 pages, but many of you know that already. ;)

I think in another year or 2 I may be able to knock mine down to a single sentence... in fact, it may just fit on my business card. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□

A question was asked--how many folks who do hiring nix $100k+ candidates based on resume length? I don't. On the other hand, when screening hundreds of applicants, I only glance at the first page of the vast majority. It's like a novel. You can create an incredibly awesome chapter thirteen, but no catchy cover or starting line, and you're probably toast.

The essence of my "10-20 years of experience" fits on one page. I always get points for good people skills, being able to explain as well as do. To think--the essence of Ghengis Kahn's life fills up less than a page in many textbooks!
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    I have 2 pages, but many of you know that already. ;)

I think in another year or 2 I may be able to knock mine down to a single sentence... in fact, it may just fit on my business card. icon_lol.gif
    I made your business card for you:
    Name
    MCM
    email address
    telephone number
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I made your business card for you:
    Name
    MCM
    email address
    telephone number

That's not far off from what I just ordered... just have to do without the "CM" for now. :P Boss says it'll be next year at the earliest before I can go through the MCM program. :\
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    Surprised no one has posted a 1 page resume yet...

Please enlighten us! A lot of board members are waiting!
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Surprised no one has posted a 1 page resume yet...

Please enlighten us! A lot of board members are waiting!

A great resume is a competitive advantage. I have a colleague with a similar technical background, and my offers were about $40,000+ higher. That wasn't entirely due to my resume--I'm often complimented on my communication skills--but my resume was clearly an asset based on the number and quality of job roles I was sent. I'm not going to give my resume away for others to use as a template. If that's what you were hoping for others to do, that seems unrealistic. However, if you post your resume, I'm sure others would help you polish it. I did just that yesterday! Perhaps you are already very satisfied with the number and quality of responses you get from your resume. If so, no worries! There's more than one way to skin a cat.