Options

Book recommendations for studying AD

quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone who has experience in AD have any recommendations for good study guides to take the 640?
Amazon reviews are alll over the shop, it's difficult to choose a decent study guide?
The Wings of Technology

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just read the exam blueprint and the corresponding topics on TechNet. Supplement with CBT Nuggets and other resources like the Unleashed book. Most importantly, lab as you go. This method has worked for me every time.

Some people require a textbook, especially if your starting out on the MS certification track. If this is the case with you, grab the official MS Press book for this test, read the chapters and fill in the gaps (big gaps!!) with TechNet and supplement with CBT Nuggets or some form of video training. Again, it's very important to lab as you go for the material to sink in.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    quinnyfly wrote: »
    Does anyone who has experience in AD have any recommendations for good study guides to take the 640?
    Amazon reviews are alll over the shop, it's difficult to choose a decent study guide?

MS Press book second release. (Follow and do labs)
    Technet. (use for stuff the book does not make clear)
    MS Exam objectives list. (Check the book against this and use technet to fill in whats missing.
    CBT or Trainsignal videos.

and LAB LAB LAB LAB LAB LAB

Oh and smile icon_lol.gif

Edit: Use the Stickes too
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    surendrababu18surendrababu18 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI Ch@rl!3m0ng i am studying for 70-640 with train signal, CBT, MS press book, average how much time will it take to complete 70-640, is it necessary to read ms press book twice......
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the MS Press book, but I also agree with the comments about the gaps. They get worse towards the end, which is bad because that is where the heaviest subjects are (CS and FS). It's almost as if they realized they were up against deadline and rushed it.

And, yes, fill it in with Technet and lab til you're sick of labbing then lab some more!! :)
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, books ordered today, very much appreciate your input:)

Cheers
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    IT ExplorerIT Explorer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want to start the MCITP track with 640 I recommend "Exam Cram" for the DNS subject and also The Precision Guide to Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration (MCTS Exam 70-640) they don't skip command line and really very helpful as technet is informative too,

One more thing you should put in mind, the more time you spend on labbing, the more time you save in the next exam ( 642 and 646 )

Best Wishes