Options

Is 70-680 one of the better certifications to have for deskside/helpdesk

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Or is this more of a system admin certification or a desktop engineering team?

I was thinking it's a great cert because of it flexibility. You can get deskside and helpdesk position on the name alone and the technology that you learn is really for desktop engineering team, so you are able to leverage that for a promotion.

IMO if I was starting off with no certifications I would take a class on this and then follow up with self study. I believe this certification is highly valuable.

Comments

• Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    I totally agree. It's like the ideal cert for someone starting out with hell desk who wants to transition into servers. That's why I got it! (then found out WGU requires it anyway lol). Still in hell desk right now but going to try and get into a server admin job later this year.
  • Options
    Tr1x Good luck, and wise decision!

Honestly I wish I would of spent my time getting 680. I would gladly trade A+, N+, and S+ for 70-680.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Or is this more of a system admin certification or a desktop engineering team?

I was thinking it's a great cert because of it flexibility. You can get deskside and helpdesk position on the name alone and the technology that you learn is really for desktop engineering team, so you are able to leverage that for a promotion.

IMO if I was starting off with no certifications I would take a class on this and then follow up with self study. I believe this certification is highly valuable.

For help desk I think it’s A+, Network+, and Security+. These certs really lay down the foundation for someone just starting out in the field. The 70-680 is an advance certification and requires a lot more study time, experience, and understanding. I’m studying for the Windows 7 70-680 and it’s no walk in the park, but it’s doable if someone puts the time in the study and lab time in.
    To answer you question I believe this is how the 70-68 exams are laid out, someone correct me if I’m wrong:

70-680-covers Deployment and configuring windows 7, has some troubleshooting.

70-685-covers desktop support

70-686-covers Windows enterprise administration ( I think this exam is for administration that deal with a lot of updates and image of windows 7 … think 25,00 plus clients MDT and SCCM..)
    I think 70-680 combined with the 70-85 is great for anyone trying to get into desktop support or help desk. This is my opinion though…
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    I believe you are right. Probably getting 680 and one of the other ones would be your best bet. You get your MCITP and MCTS with Windows 7 in the title, which is very hot right now.

I just like the idea of the approach of going straight for Windows 7. If a job is asking for CompTIA's, the Windows 7 in most cases will fulfill that requirement.
  • Options
    Yeah, the 680 is hard and probably overkill for help desk or entry-level positions, but I got it as my first cert into the MCITP SA/EA track, not because I thought it'd help me get a job.

I think someone should only get this cert if their intention is to eventually obtain a sysadmin job, not trying to get it so they can work help desk. I can honestly say this cert doesn't help me much with my current job. It's for someone who works on servers and oversees the deployment and ongoing use of Windows 7.
  • Options
    Tr1x I agree but my point is that it won't hurt you on the helpdesk, if anything it will help and it's scalable. Meaning you can grow into it the certification. And when it comes time to move on within or out of your organization you already have the experience and the correct certifications to move forward. And most HR and hiring managers don't know anything about the certification except that it's about Windows 7.

To me it's a strategy worth exploring. Instead of spending 250 + 3 on the comptia trinity and 50+ for each book you can get the MS books for the same price and take a course spending 750-1000 and getting certifications that will help open the door now and opening the doors in the future.

To many Comptia bottoms out at Helpdesk/Deskside support.

(My approach is that of a degree) You learn the concepts now so they can be applied later. re learning them won't take as long.

***Just for the record I am not saying I think this is the best way of doing it just merely stating it's a strategy that could be reviewed and potentially implemented. Some people want to do the certs only to get return quickly and never to do them again. If this is the attitude then I think this strategy should be considered.
  • Options
    Yep, good strategy. Only problem is the help desk people usually get the CompTIA's because that's all they're capable of getting. The 70-680 is really rough for people who don't have a fair amount of server experience. My help desk has about 10 people on it and I guarantee only one other guy on here would even have a chance at passing it. However, most of these guys could pass a CompTIA.

Also, I think studying for the 70-680 wouldn't really help a help desk candidate, aside from getting those words on the resume. It's really just geared towards server people, ya know? But I see your point, and it definitely can only help.

Perhaps the 70-685 would be better for a help desk person? It's not as good as the 70-680 I don't think, but it could at least teach a help desk person stuff that they'll be more likely to use. (I don't know much about 685 so can't really say much about it)
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a A+ and Network+. Every helpdesk job in my area wants a Microsoft, ie "Microsoft certified is a requirment."

I am studying for the 70-680. If I suddenly get a job after it, then I will have to tell myself that the A+ at least taught me how to self-study instead of thinking it was a waste of time.
  • Options
    Tr1x

I don't disagree with you about 680. I agree with your 685 being more valuable as well.

Do you think 685 would bring you more interviews and chances at promotions more than A+?

Kai:

Keep us posted if you don't mind. I would be curious to see if your theory comes to fruition.
  • Options
    Yeah I think any Microsoft cert would bring more interviews than CompTIA. They're just plain harder and employers know that having a Microsoft cert means a lot more. Dunno if 680 or 685 would be better, I just know that 685 would probably give a help desk person experience they could use. Whereas the 680 would give experience a sysadmin could use. For anyone looking to get into help desk and get out within a year (*rasies hand*), I would just get 680.
  • Options
    Sounds like you made a wise decision. Getting 680 is going to help a lot imo.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that the knowledge shown from passing either exam would be a benefit and as someone that never did the CompTIA trifecta I can say the not having A+ or Net+ hasn't seemed to hurt my career but I've never done helpdesk per se, I have been in JOAT positions though. I do have Security+ but only because it's part of my degree studies. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't taken 685, you would need the 680 to get the title (resume) benefits of 685. You wouldn't be a MCITP without both 680 & 685.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think it's a great start. I feel that the 70-680 would be 100x better than my 70-620 (hey, it was when Vista first came out!). No enterprise uses Vista (very little, anyway). Windows 7 is a great OS that many places are moving to.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that the knowledge shown from passing either exam would be a benefit and as someone that never did the CompTIA trifecta I can say the not having A+ or Net+ hasn't seemed to hurt my career but I've never done helpdesk per se, I have been in JOAT positions though. I do have Security+ but only because it's part of my degree studies. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't taken 685, you would need the 680 to get the title (resume) benefits of 685. You wouldn't be a MCITP without both 680 & 685.

you are correct
    MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

Certification
    Required exam(s)*
    Windows Client

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    Exam 70-680
    Exam 70-685
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    680 is looked for in helpdesk and DST because it is the Windows 7 certification. However, the majority of its content is not altogether that pertinent to support roles. A lot of its content is more geared towards desktop administration and engineering, which are branches of systems administration/engineering, not direct end-user support roles.

So, career-wise, it's a great cert for helpdesk. Realistically, I wouldn't expect a starting DST or helpdesk guy to have it or get it in short order. If he did, he probably wouldn't be too far away from getting the server certs and into a server-oriented role. A+ and Net+ are what I would like to see in an ideal helpdesk or DST candidate. Windows 7 is probably the "transition" cert for those roles, as far as the Windows support and administration world goes.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    pt I agree it's a great transition certification. No question about it.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    680 is looked for in helpdesk and DST because it is the Windows 7 certification. However, the majority of its content is not altogether that pertinent to support roles. A lot of its content is more geared towards desktop administration and engineering, which are branches of systems administration/engineering, not direct end-user support roles.

So, career-wise, it's a great cert for helpdesk. Realistically, I wouldn't expect a starting DST or helpdesk guy to have it or get it in short order. If he did, he probably wouldn't be too far away from getting the server certs and into a server-oriented role. A+ and Net+ are what I would like to see in an ideal helpdesk or DST candidate. Windows 7 is probably the "transition" cert for those roles, as far as the Windows support and administration world goes.

I agree with this. 680 is a solid cert to have, both for admins and DST's. It was one of the more difficult certs I've earned, but it has been one of the more useful one's I've gotten, too. I use a lot of the concepts everyday at work.