Options

Building a CCENT/CCNA lab..... advice sought

digilinkdigilink Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
First time poster :)

I am wanting to pursue my CCENT/CCNA cert this year (haven't decided if I'll start with just the CCENT first or take both tests at the same time, still weighing my options) and I've started to piece together a lab.

So far, here is what I have come up with:

2511 router to be used as an access router (for consoles, got this one as a freebie!)
2621 router (also got this as a freebie!)
2950 (en-route to me, haven't received yet)

I'm thinking I need at least two more routers and maybe another switch but I was unsure of what to look for. Price is definitely a concern, if I can find routers for under $100 that would be ideal.

Another question I have is material. Can anyone recommend decent study material and lab guides?

This seems like a great forum and I have only recently stumbled across it a couple of days ago. Thanks in advance for any replies....

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Hello,

You can do some of the stuff in Packet Tracer(cisco) or GNS3 emulator (google). Good deal on free 2511 and 2621!!!

I would get one or two more 2950s so you can do vlans/trunking/stp stuff. Also some labs will need more than one router, you can't really do much with just one. 2620s go for under $40 shipped, and 2950s depending on port config/count can be purchased for about the same as well.

Figure also you'll need cables AND some cards for routers as well to be able to interconnect them together.

Todd Lammle and Wendell Odoms books are highly regarded.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    When I was studying for the CCENT. I got the Lammie and Odom books. I also bought the Chris Bryant CCNA/CCNA Security package for 25 if i remember correctly. I found a lot of great deals on 2600XMs and 2950s on eBay. i also bought routers/switches/and wiring from
    1. CablesAndKits.com (i do not know if they still do it, but when i ordered anything they would send M&Ms with thee order which i thought was funny.)
    2. http://www.monoprice.com/
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    digilinkdigilink Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Haha... yep I've ordered from CablesAndKits.com before and received the same thing, they must do it for every order.
    I found a lot of great deals on 2600XMs and 2950s on eBay.
    Is there a particular model I should be searching for? Didn't see too many 2600XM's on ebay... Just got a deal on a 2950 for $30 shipped!!!
    You can do some of the stuff in Packet Tracer(cisco) or GNS3 emulator (google). Good deal on free 2511 and 2621!!!
    Have both and they are nice apps.... and yes hard to beat free!!! They were laying around as "scrap" at the office I work at in a corner unpowered and dusty so I took them and cleaned them up and whadda ya know... they work! That's actually what prompted this little project (well besides the fact that I've only been pursuing a CCNA for like 10 years now, don't ask hehe)
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    digilink wrote: »
    Haha... yep I've ordered from CablesAndKits.com before and received the same thing, they must do it for every order.

Is there a particular model I should be searching for? Didn't see too many 2600XM's on ebay... Just got a deal on a 2950 for $30 shipped!!!

Have both and they are nice apps.... and yes hard to beat free!!! They were laying around as "scrap" at the office I work at in a corner unpowered and dusty so I took them and cleaned them up and whadda ya know... they work! That's actually what prompted this little project (well besides the fact that I've only been pursuing a CCNA for like 10 years now, don't ask hehe)

The XM models can use more memory as well as flash I believe. They can also run 12.4 and 12.4(T) IOS versions. I believe the highest the non XMs can run is 12.3.

2610XM - 1 FE port
    2611XM - 2 FE port
    2620XM - 1 FE port
    2621XM - 2 FE port
    2650XM - 1 FE port
    2651XM - 2 FE port

FE = Fast Ethernet
  • Options
    nkillgorenkillgore Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know you are trying to build a physical lab, but I have to recommend Boson NetSim. It comes with some really good labs and explanations.
  • Options
    I have 2610xms and 2620xms. If I could do it again id probably get 1 or 2 26X1xms for the extra fe port. I had to use 1 of my wic slots to add an extra fe port on all of my routers.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Patel128 wrote: »
    I have 2610xms and 2620xms. If I could do it again id probably get 1 or 2 26X1xms for the extra fe port. I had to use 1 of my wic slots to add an extra fe port on all of my routers.

Is that the port a wic-2t would go into? If so what's the model number of that fe card you installed. I have a couple of 2620XMs that I'd like to add an extra port to.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    No, he is saying the 26x1s come with the extra fast ethernet port , as in 2, on board w/o you having to add a card for that.

The wic-2t adds two SERIAL ports, not FE.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lantech wrote: »
    Is that the port a wic-2t would go into? If so what's the model number of that fe card you installed. I have a couple of 2620XMs that I'd like to add an extra port to.

I'd guess it's the 1fe-tx card. I think it's not officially supported, but I've heard it'll work in the 2600xm chassis (unknown if it'll work in the non-xm versions).

Yeah, I wish I'd've gotten a 2611xm as well. Only having 1 FE port kinda sucks.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    I got rid of it and just lived with having just 1 fe port.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I was studying for the CCENT. I got the Lammie and Odom books. I also bought the Chris Bryant CCNA/CCNA Security package for 25 if i remember correctly. I found a lot of great deals on 2600XMs and 2950s on eBay. i also bought routers/switches/and wiring from
    1. CablesAndKits.com (i do not know if they still do it, but when i ordered anything they would send M&Ms with thee order which i thought was funny.)
    2. HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Hey now, that is the only reason I buy from them! JK, they are great people to deal with and I would buy from them again.
  • Options
    Hey now, that is the only reason I buy from them! JK, they are great people to deal with and I would buy from them again.

Yeah they have very good shipping also. Generally when I have ordered there if you buy over 50 dollars worth the shipping is free.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah they have very good shipping also. Generally when I have ordered there if you buy over 50 dollars worth the shipping is free.

Yup, and since they are practically next door I can almost plan on getting them next day ;)
  • Options
    Yup, and since they are practically next door I can almost plan on getting them next day ;)

Hate you guys! :) I bought my switches/routers on eBay and waiting for them to arrive was not fun!