101 Labs for the CCNP?

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wondering if anyone else has used 101 Labs for the CCNP by Farai Tafa and Paul Browning
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Labs-Cisco-CCNP-Exams-ebook/dp/B005TAJ1W4/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1333008582&sr=8-18

I bought it yesterday and tried doing some of the labs and did do them partially but found most stuff harder than expected especially the ones related to route maps and prefix lists. are these labs an accurate representation of what could be expected in the real exam?

Is it true that about 90% of the ccnp route questions are simulations? i read this on the Cisco learning network on one of the forums and just want clarification from someone who has done the exam.
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    took a look at the preview function but the preview just includes SWITCH materia. but that is kinda similar to what is in the cisco lab book.

i woul recommend you to get a hand on the route lab manual, which pretty much gets you covered for the exam:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/71180-ccnp-route-lab-manual-cisco-academy.html

without breaking the NDA i can tell you that there are not 90% simulations in the exam because it has about 60 questions and i guess it would take all day to do 54 simulations :D

but as in the ccna exams your score will rise and fall with the simulations from what i heard. so its always nice to be labbed up!
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else has used 101 Labs for the CCNP by Farai Tafa and Paul Browning
    101 Labs for the Cisco CCNP Exams eBook: Farai Tafa, Paul Browning: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

I bought it yesterday and tried doing some of the labs and did do them partially but found most stuff harder than expected especially the ones related to route maps and prefix lists. are these labs an accurate representation of what could be expected in the real exam?

I have 101 Labs for the CCNP and the ROUTE Lab Manual. In my estimation, the 101 Labs for the CCNP are harder than the real exam. There is some benefit to that--if you can configure those convoluted scenarios in under fifteen minutes, you should have no troubles when confronted with the real exam. The scenarios have "Gotchas!" that also test your theoretical knowledge (Eg: In one scenario you must set the next-hop to yourself on an iBGP peer. Surprise, surprise! The command "next-hop-self" doesn't work on iBGP peers! You end up doing it another way.)

However, there are a few negatives. First, they cover material that is clearly beyond the CCNP, such as complex iBGP scenarios (CCNP Route focuses on eBGP). That, to me, is problematic. Second, because they mix technologies, use "unusual" topologies (fully connecting an iBGP cloud with no IGP!), and don't guide you through show and debug commands--they are better for final lab preparation where you want to test the fine details of your knowledge and work on your speed.

In contrast, Cisco's lab manuals are far better for initially learning the commands and concepts.
    Is it true that about 90% of the ccnp route questions are simulations? i read this on the Cisco learning network on one of the forums and just want clarification from someone who has done the exam.

That's only true of the CCNP TSHOOT exam. For the TSHOOT, it's closer to 97% and that's explained right on the exam's webpage.
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    By the way - for those interested those labs are available for free on the Authors website - 101 CCNP Labs - Labs

Nate
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hI, thanks for all your advice and for the pointers about the Cisco Lab manual.

One question, hopefully someone can answer this one.
    I;ve been practicing with prefix lists and wanted to prevent the route to network 10.1.2.0/24 from being advertised to an adj EIGRP router.

I created the prefix list as this
    ip prefix-list STOP10.1.2.0/24: 1 entries
    seq 5 deny 10.1.2.0/24

then on the same router who is doing the advertising of the 10.1.2.0 I went into config-router mode and applied the list to the serial0/0 interface which is the egress interface which leads to R1 (the guy hearing the routes)
    it doesnt seem to have worked though, any ideas why please?

I did try the same thing with a standard acl and it worked.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    I created the prefix list as this
    ip prefix-list STOP10.1.2.0/24: 1 entries
    seq 5 deny 10.1.2.0/24

You forgot to permit any routes.
    You forgot to permit any routes.

Thanks I added this but still doesn't work.

R3#SHOW IP PREFIX-LIST
    ip prefix-list 10.1.2.0/24: 0 entries
    ip prefix-list STOP10.1.2.0/24: 2 entries
    seq 5 deny 10.1.2.0/24
    seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/8 le 32
    R3#CONF T
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    R3(config)#ROUTER EIGRP 90
    R3(config-router)#DISTRIBUTE-LIST PREFIX 10.1.2.0/24 OUT
    R3(config-router)#

R1#
    172.30.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 10 subnets, 2 masks
    C 172.30.2.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback2
    C 172.30.3.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback3
    C 172.30.0.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback0
    D 172.30.0.0/20 is a summary, 00:00:57, Null0
    C 172.30.1.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback1
    C 172.30.6.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback6
    C 172.30.7.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback7
    C 172.30.4.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback4
    C 172.30.5.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback5
    C 172.30.8.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback8
    10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 4 subnets, 2 masks
    D 10.1.2.0/24 [90/20539600] via 10.1.34.2, 00:00:58, Serial0/1
    [90/20537600] via 10.1.24.2, 00:00:58, Serial0/0 <<<<<<<<<<HEY WHY YOU STILL HERE MAN?
    D 10.1.25.0/24 [90/20665600] via 10.1.34.2, 00:00:59, Serial0/1
    [90/20640000] via 10.1.24.2, 00:00:59, Serial0/0
    C 10.1.24.0/30 is directly connected, Serial0/0
    C 10.1.34.0/30 is directly connected, Serial0/1
    S* 192.168.0.0/24 is directly connected, Null0
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□

R3#SHOW IP PREFIX-LIST
    seq 5 deny 10.1.2.0/24
    R3#CONF T
    R3(config-router)#DISTRIBUTE-LIST PREFIX STOP10.1.2.0/24 OUT
    R3(config-router)#

Wrong Prefix list applied?

Nate

R3#SHOW IP PREFIX-LIST
    seq 5 deny 10.1.2.0/24
    R3#CONF T
    R3(config-router)#DISTRIBUTE-LIST PREFIX 10.1.2.0/24 OUT
    R3(config-router)#

You applied the wrong prefix-list. Your distribute-list out statement doesn't reference ip prefix-list STOP10.1.2.0/24. The ip prefix-list you actually references is empty, and an empty ip prefix-list permits all routes.
    :) haha! that's great! at least I got it wrong by making a silly mistake rather than not understanding the syntax.
    Thanks for your help! you guys are great
  • mithrmithr Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all

1) does the book 101 Labs for CCNP have a cd or you have to make labs on simulator by yourself

2) Is packet tracer enough for those labs?

Thanks
    mithr wrote: »
    1) does the book 101 Labs for CCNP have a cd or you have to make labs on simulator by yourself

You must add the "no shutdown" and "ip address" commands yourself. If you can't quickly convert /27, /28, /29, & /30 to subnet masks, the practice can be helpful. If you already can, it's 3-5 minutes of wasted time per lab.'
    2) Is packet tracer enough for those labs?

Yuck! Dunno, but for CCNP, I'd suggest real racks, IOU, or GNS3. The author provides access to an IOU version of the lab topology for a monthly fee at his website, if you're not comfortable installing your own software.
  • mithrmithr Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So the book has some topologies and you decide the way you implement them either in GNS3 or in real equipment correct?
    Does it have also the solutions?
    I don't know what is the IOU you mentioned

I am asking because yesterday i finished CCNA and i am searching how to continue for CCNP. For CCNA i studied Cisco Exploration 1-4, i did all labs in Packet Tracer and i read some ****.
    So i am searching how to continue. The seminars here cost 3500 for the 3 CCNP parts so maybe it would be better to buy the equipment and do labs at home but what should i buy?

That's why i asked if book has the cd to implement labs in a simulator

thank you very much for your reply i will search a little bit more to find info about what you told me
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 101 labs book comes in two form...one is a physical book [$60 or so](not sure about a cd), the other is a a downloadable soft copy [$10], both available via Amazon.
    It gives you a scenario to configure (step by step) and the solutions.
    I'm appreciating the 101 Labs more now. I managed to complete two of the EIGRP labs and do all the tasks involved. I'm pleased with this although still have a lot more practicing, reading to do. I have yet to cover BGP or IPv6 so those will come after i'm 100% confident in the bulk areas OSPF, EIGRP and redistribution.
  • sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi guys. Please clarify is it possible to do all the labs in GNS3 or not?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sacredboy wrote: »
    Hi guys. Please clarify is it possible to do all the labs in GNS3 or not?

Some of the switch content probably is not doable via GNS3 I'm sure Route material is 100%.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi