Passed the CAPM :)

N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
I just wanted to let you all know I ended up passing the CAPM. It was a challenge but I felt I did well on the exam. Over half of the knowledge areas I was profcient or moderately.

I started studying for the PMP but felt the CAPM was the way to go. So after 4 months of studying one failed PMP exam 2,000 dollars, 30+ practice exams and 100's of hours of study I passed. This exam was much more straight forward, but still requires a lot of memorization. Since taking both exams these two are much closer together than you would think. Sure the PMP is harder, but the CAPM is challenging and much harder than the Project + 2003 exam.

Rating scale IMO

PMP 8
CAPM 7
Project + 4 and from what I hear the new objectives are much easier than the older 2003 version

Material used SSI Flash Cards, Head First PMP, PMBOK 4th edition, Rita Mulcahy 4th edition PMP study guide, Rita's audio (barely used) 30 practice exams most free, and real world experience, which is HUGE

I'm going to see Rise of the Titans and go eat Sushi. I'm off work today and the family is in St. Louis visiting. So I'm a bachelor this weekend :)

Thanks for all the support this is a great community

BTW I start my MBA program at WGU April 1st. So not much time to rest. This will be my last certification for a long long while.

Comments

  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Posts: 614Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Let me be one of the first to say congratulations, job well done my friend!
    Thanks, Tom

    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    M.S. - CSIA (Started 3/1/2017)Progress T1: C688, JIT2; T2:TFT2, C700, VLT2; T3: C701, C702; T4: C706, FXT2, LQT2
    Black = Not Started, Blue = In Progress, Red = Complete
  • ptilsenptilsen Posts: 2,835Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    Big congrats!
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • tr1xtr1x Posts: 213Member
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    Thank you all

    It was challenging but I felt like I deserve that certification. I put a lot more time than is required for several reasons. Bottom line I have a lot more knowledge.

    I am slated to attend the LaCrosse PMI meeting in Rochester on the 19th. They have my name on the website as one of the newest members. I'm pretty stoked!
  • newmovenewmove Posts: 108Member
    Congrats N2IT, I knew you will nail it!
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Posts: 243Member
    Congrats N2IT, you are the source of inspiration, good job:)
    The Wings of Technology
  • erpadminerpadmin Posts: 4,165Member
    Congratulations!!!

    Almost thanks to you, plus on the advice of my fellow classmates, I'm going to take the Project Management course as an elective beginning this fall. The instructor is a PMP herself and a classmate of mine was able to take the PMP proper exam after taking her course. I would have never dreamed of gunning for the PMP exam during grad school, but when I heard that the instructor models her course on the PMP objectives, I found it difficult to resist. Plus, I going to get confirmation to see if her course will meet the 35 hour requirement.

    You are on your way to full PMP status....but CAPM is just as good. It's like getting a Nissan Maxima instead of a Lexus....but awesome, and just about the same deal.....

    Congrats once again!!!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Senior Member Posts: 2,687Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass!!
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Congratulations!!!

    Almost thanks to you, plus on the advice of my fellow classmates, I'm going to take the Project Management course as an elective beginning this fall. The instructor is a PMP herself and a classmate of mine was able to take the PMP proper exam after taking her course. I would have never dreamed of gunning for the PMP exam during grad school, but when I heard that the instructor models her course on the PMP objectives, I found it difficult to resist. Plus, I going to get confirmation to see if her course will meet the 35 hour requirement.

    You are on your way to full PMP status....but CAPM is just as good. It's like getting a Nissan Maxima instead of a Lexus....but awesome, and just about the same deal.....

    Congrats once again!!!

    ERP you can handle it I know you can.

    Just take your time and don't rush it that's my biggest piece of advice.

    I ended up going for the CAPM in lieu of the PMP, because I started the MBA program at WGU this month. Where I am at now the MBA means everything, even though the CAPM and PMP are recognized. Believe me I wanted to get the PMP, but decided against it because I haven't managed large scale projects. I just felt I would be sending the wrong expectations to the hiring manager if I put down the PMP. So I figured all my studying would be wasted if I didn't get some piece of paper from it ;)

    I know you have more experience than I do so it probably synchs up nicely with your experience, but for me getting the CAPM was the right thing to do.
  • erpadminerpadmin Posts: 4,165Member
    N2IT wrote: »
    ERP you can handle it I know you can.

    Just take your time and don't rush it that's my biggest piece of advice.

    I ended up going for the CAPM in lieu of the PMP, because I started the MBA program at WGU this month. Where I am at now the MBA means everything, even though the CAPM and PMP are recognized. Believe me I wanted to get the PMP, but decided against it because I haven't managed large scale projects. I just felt I would be sending the wrong expectations to the hiring manager if I put down the PMP. So I figured all my studying would be wasted if I didn't get some piece of paper from it ;)

    I know you have more experience than I do so it probably synchs up nicely with your experience, but for me getting the CAPM was the right thing to do.

    I understood you opted for the CAPM....you went for the Nissan Maxima instead of the Lexus. Same car (AFAIC)...just that one is a few grand more and has Lexus on it instead of Nissan Maxima (and the Maxima is still a great car). When you're ready, you'll probably upgrade to the Lexus. :)

    Your accomplishment in being part of the PMI organization is still noteworthy. For that you are to be commended and congratulated. I'm hoping to shoot for the Lexus (PMP) assuming I do take the PM course. It counts as one of two electives in my Master's anyway.

    Best of luck in your WGU studies.
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    Maxima? That's mighty kind of you!

    I was thinking a Honda Accord :)

    Either way I agree the PMP is the next certification, but I want additional real world experience. When it comes time to take the exam again, granted I have additional experience, I will defiently pass the exam. Where I work at they really love the MBA. No questions about it, almost all the job descriptions have it marked in their perferred. It's the next move for me for sure. I did notice that the CAPM is recognized which is a really good thing for me.
  • erpadminerpadmin Posts: 4,165Member
    N2IT wrote: »
    Maxima? That's mighty kind of you!

    I was thinking a Honda Accord :)

    Ok....replace the Maxima with an Accord and the Lexus with an Acura. Same exact deal. :D

    The one good thing about the WGU MBA is that, from what my contacts in the WGU Alumni LinkedIn group tell me [and others] is that WGU MBA does cover MBA topics very well...if all you need is the credential, the WGU MBA seems to do the job very well. Plus, when you start delving into Project Control and Cost (wherever that's discussed in your MBA classes) you CAPM and Project+ cert will prepare you well.

    Just remember this about WGU....give those (minimum) twenty hours a week to them. Otherwise you will not have a fun time...when you do give the minimum amount of time for study...you will certainly have a fun time. :)
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Ok....replace the Maxima with an Accord and the Lexus with an Acura. Same exact deal. :D

    The one good thing about the WGU MBA is that, from what my contacts in the WGU Alumni LinkedIn group tell me [and others] is that WGU MBA does cover MBA topics very well...if all you need is the credential, the WGU MBA seems to do the job very well. Plus, when you start delving into Project Control and Cost (wherever that's discussed in your MBA classes) you CAPM and Project+ cert will prepare you well.

    Just remember this about WGU....give those (minimum) twenty hours a week to them. Otherwise you will not have a fun time...when you do give the minimum amount of time for study...you will certainly have a fun time. :)

    ERP

    Thanks for the words of wisdom, I really do appreciate it.

    So far I have 3 hours of study excluding the several hours taken for the EWB. Tonight will be a big study session. One thing I have going for me is the kids are with grandma and grandpa this week and weekend. I honestly plan on getting HR completed before the kids come back. I really want to get off to a quick start. I know this is not sustainable so I will not attempt to do this for every class, but for me it's important to get the first one out of the way to get that confidence rolling.

    I already have my strategy written out on paper and all my work cited/references printed out and documented. Now I just have to construct, which is always the most challenging part for me, but I will make it.
  • redfoot12redfoot12 Posts: 9Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys!
    I'm taking the CAPM tomorrow. So far I've been using the PMBOK and Rita Mulcahy's CAPM guide (may she rest in peace.)
    I took an undergraduate class in Project Management last year which qualified me to take this.
    I'd ultimately like to get more into a Business Analyst role but there aren't any entry level certs for that so I'm taking this as a semi-substitute.
    Assuming I pass, this will be the first certification for me since I got my A+ and Network+ in 2003.
    Wish me luck and next up for me is ITIL Foundation!
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    I'm sure you'll do fine! Good luck!
  • redfoot12redfoot12 Posts: 9Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey N2IT--
    Just curious, but what are you going to try to do next after you passed CAPM? Are you trying to move into Project Management as a career?

    Next up for me will be, liked I said, ITIL.
    I also have to take classes in Database Systems, Intermediate Programming (class is in C#), and Projects in Information Systems to finish my Bachelor's in Info Sys.
    Anyway, I hope that a year from now I will no longer have to be a desktop support tech.
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    I have a few ITIL certifications and the CAPM. Next for me is focusing on the MBA. To move up in my company the master degree is the golden ticket. Certs are cool, but the MBA is the driving factor so that is my main focus.

    If I had to pick a certification I would go after now it would be additional ITIL intermediates, PMP, or a business analyst certification.

    I think getting the CAPM is a good move along with the V3 foundation. Then channel all your energy in school and work. That should put you in a good place. The name of the game is to land a job that you really want and move up from there. So do just enough to get there and then work like hell to ascend through the ranks.
  • redfoot12redfoot12 Posts: 9Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gotcha. After I'm done with these certs I'm going to read a book called 7 Steps to Mastering Business Analysis. Nothing that will help with my career or certifications, but it's supposed to provide a good overview of the field. Kind of pricy though.
    Amazon.com: Seven Steps to Mastering Business Analysis (9781604270075): Barbara A. Carkenord: Books
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    Thanks for the recommended read!
  • powerfoolpowerfool CISSP, MCSE Posts: 1,635Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have never poked around in the Project+ forum and thought I would stop by after the discussion in the General Forum.

    First of all, belated congrats on the CAPM.

    I am getting more interested in the ITIL side of things myself, which I will at least knock out the foundations certification shortly after completing the PMP exam (pass or fail). We have a guy in one of our offices that is an ITIL v3 Expert (I think that is what it is called... with the 30+days of classroom time).

    Anyhow, we have slowly been moving to ITIL at work and everyone will eventually have to at least do the foundations exam. There is another opportunity that may pop up that will require it, as well. I think I may look into service transition afterwards, as I am already doing that sort of thing and writing service transition plans to tie all of my implementation documentation together.
    AZ-300 [x] AZ-301 [x]
    2019 Goals: Azure Architect
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    PF

    I'll be going for ITIL V3 Expert shortly. Right now I have to get my MS Project skills up through the roof. That is my bargaining chip in my current environment/situation.

    Back to ITIL I have the new books and have reached out to vendors to start pricing in person courses and on line. I have a gentlemen I am working with that I can hopefully do Service Strategy in person this summer. I might pop on line and do Service Design.

    We will see! (This is on top of my MBA so it's been pretty busy)
  • 4_lom4_lom Posts: 485Member
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

  • KateRaven199KateRaven199 Posts: 1Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    edited August 8
    Congratulations! that is truly amazing. I have heard the exam was pretty tricky. Actually my friend also gave the same exam and passed just recently. She used the Latest CAPM Practice Test **** at Test4Practice. She said they were quite helpful, extremely easy and dependable. Plus she got an amazing Discount on already feasible amount. if any of you want to take the exam i suggest you buy Test4Practice CAPM Questions Answers Practice Exam. Check the demo version here:  www.test4practice.com/CAPM-practice-test.html
Sign In or Register to comment.