Options

Passed Network+ today :)

ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
I ate, slept, and breathed Network+ for the past two weeks icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

Score: 850/900.

Hardest part to me was remembering the technical specifications of 10BaseT, 100BaseT, 1000BaseFX, etc. Also, the technical differences between all the protocols caused me to stumble a bit, but I got them down in the end icon_cheers.gif

Thanks to everyone on techexams.net for their posts and support!
Ipsa scientia potestas est.

Comments

• Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Mate, awsome score, what's next?
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    Thanks quinnfly!

Security+ is in my future. I was going to attack the ICND1/CCENT exam but have decided to go for the CompTIA trifecta. Reason? I got a new FT job (from being self employed) and want to make sure I don't burn myself out.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ahphoto wrote: »
    Thanks quinnfly!

Security+ is in my future. I was going to attack the ICND1/CCENT exam but have decided to go for the CompTIA trifecta. Reason? I got a new job FT job (from being self employed) and want to make sure I don't burn myself out.

Sec+ has tons of crossover information from Network+, so you won't lose a step when you get into ICND1. I went that same route and basic network knowledge was still fresh by the time I hit CCENT.

And congratulations!
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
  • Options
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Sec+ has tons of crossover information from Network+, so you won't lose a step when you get into ICND1. I went that same route and basic network knowledge was still fresh by the time I hit CCENT.

And congratulations!

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    Darril wrote: »
    Congrats. Great score.

Good luck on the Security+.

Thanks! I'm going to order your book :)
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IF we can help with your sec+, you know where to find us......
    I am very happy to lend my notes etc, they got me through very well and I can appreciate how hard it is to learn security out of the box, although, you are already basically half-way there. I only have two, (well technically 4 security certs under my belt) and much like Darril, the learning for most seems to be about breaking down the technical into a language we can all understand.

Simple day-to-day analogies make this entity comprehensible, it seems depending on how we remember things, some have better recall than others. In my opinion, the trick is to know your stuff and relate it to something familiar that is already logged into your memory.

I often use simple scenarios that only require me to learn and know very simple yet informative acronyms. For example: When it comes to knowing symmetric encryption, I use this :

AES and DES CAST IDEAS about RC and OTP.

A very easy way to remember what symmetric algorithms are:)

As a side note: just remember that the AES comes from the origional rijndael standard and AES256 is the strongest symmetric standard to date.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Grats dude :) I would definitely recommend ICND1/2 for you if you originally wanted to do it. The material was really enjoyable and the knowledge is very valuable imo.

Anyway, good luck with Sec+!
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    ChronoChrono Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ahphoto wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback!

did you take 004 or 005?
  • Options
    Chrono wrote: »
    did you take 004 or 005?

004. I decided to take the 004 instead of 005 because of the resources I used to study. Professor Messer's videos that cover the 004 exam are complete, while he's still working on finishing the 005 exam videos. I bought Mike Myers' all in one bible which I read cover to cover and passed all of the chapter review exams. I also had a flashcard app for my iPhone that was specific to 004.

Based on that, I decided to take the 004 :)
  • Options
    andremcullinsandremcullins Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Hardwork pays off!!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass and good luck with the Sec+. I too will be sitting the Net+ this month (April) followed by the Sec+ in May so I may just catch up with you. icon_lol.gif What's next on your agenda after Sec+? I am leaning towards the CCENT as the Net+/Sec+ knowledge will still be fresh. After that I am gunning for the 70-680 (Windows 7) exam and then I will just watch where my career is headed to determine my next step.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    FrankThFrankTh Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.

Good success with sec+.
    I barely passed the N+ exam but sec+ was tasting like a warm vanilla cake.
    It appears you like security aspects a lot.
    Enjoy and pass.
    I used Darril Gibson book mostly.
    Is all I needed also.
    Waiting to see a I passed!!

Francis TH
  • Options
    yamaj615yamaj615 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck with s+