CTT+ info

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
Although not one of the most popular CompTIA exams, I hope to get some discussions started regarding this certification and preparing for it.

I wasn't able to find a book for this one. Cramsession has a guide available and CompTIA provides some extensive info on their website. Feel free to reply to this post if you know of any good study material for this exam or start a new thread if you have any experience with it.

Links to CompTIA's sample questions, and more detailed info can be found here:
icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/co_ctt.shtml

Here's an older but still relevant article that contains some good info.
www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=24270&rl=1

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You are correct Johan, this is not a popular exam, however it's also one of the least known amongst the CompTIA set. I can also add that there seems to somewhat of a shortage of qualified instructors. This seems contrary to some of the popular salary surveys but I know in the last two months I've been to 7 different states to do training. Some Microsoft specific and I did three Security+ classes in a row. For the most part I do training for training centers, but I still do 7 or 8 on-site company specific classes a year. Needless to say the on-site sessions pay more.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    keatron wrote:
    You are correct Johan, this is not a popular exam, however it's also one of the least known amongst the CompTIA set. I can also add that there seems to somewhat of a shortage of qualified instructors. This seems contrary to some of the popular salary surveys but I know in the last two months I've been to 7 different states to do training. Some Microsoft specific and I did three Security+ classes in a row. For the most part I do training for training centers, but I still do 7 or 8 on-site company specific classes a year. Needless to say the on-site sessions pay more.

Thanks for sharing Keatron, if you don't mind I have a couple of questions:

How much did and do you benifit from having the CTT+ cert and from studying for the exam? Did it provide you with new skills you can actually apply in real-world scenarios?

I've tried some practice questions earlier this year and CompTIA's official sample questions recently, and I have to say it's one of the weirdest tests I've seen so far. Looks like a tough one too. Some of the answers seem to be plain logic, but others could depend on so many factors. It does make you think about certain things that may come up in a classroom someday. But since it's a lot about 'people' the appropriate response to a problem may differ.

Can you recommend any study material or preparation method, apart from experience, for this exam? Something that discusses training in the CompTIA way?
    Basically, the skills and techniques I learned while obtaining the CTT helps me even today when I'm acting in a support role. Relaying technical information to non-technical people can be tricky. Becoming a trainer, (and actually training) has allowed me to understand more of what's going on and how to get through to that person on the other end of the phone who thinks that their monitor is actually the computer... :) . As far as has it helped me technically? I'd have to say no. Getting the CTT hasn't helped me at all technically, but again, acting in a training capacity gives you a nice grasp on the material you're covering. I mean, after you lecture on A+ material and go through a course 10 times, some of the material becomes second nature and engrained in your brain. This goes for any other certification, I just used A+ as an example. I think one of the bigger advantages was the fact that I was able to apply for and be accepted into the MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainer) program as a direct result of earning the CTT+. If someone is looking for a highly technical certification that will give them technical skills, this is not the one. But if you're looking for a nice addition to add to your portfolio and give you easy access to opportunites other than "being in the trenches" then I'd say go for it. Sometimes when I'm getting burned out with pentesting, designing security and designing active directory, I'll book two or three weeks of training gigs, and come back feeling refreshed!!! icon_lol.gif
    Also, almost all big companies have a constant need for some type of technical training. For example. One of my clients is an Engineering firm. Basically for the engineers to keep their license, they have to do a certain amount of continuing ed every year. Well, I will often do a day or two session with them on-site. It might on the basics of using the internet, or it could be information security best practices, the state recognizes my CTT+ as a valid credential to do training that qualifies the guys for so many hours of CEU's. This is probably the biggest benefit I've had. Even when times were slow for us in IT (2001-2003 especially) I always had work. Mainly because a lot of the people who were laid off or downsized were looking to update their skill set to try and be competitive, and the other students I had then were the guys who were lucky enough to keep their jobs, but had to take on several other roles that could no longer be filled with different people ( for example programmers having to take on network admin roles).

Here a list of study materials I'd suggest.

I checked out the Boson exams for this exam (a student of mine bought them) and they were pretty good. They do a good job of helping to prepare you for the weirdness of the questions on the exam.

There's a couple of books written by Robin Pedrotti. Doing a google search should lead you to those books.

Also, this company publishes good and in-depth material for CTT+

http://www.fka.com/templates/index.asp?ID=1
    Well first I think it is important to point out that this exam is not technical at all. It's about presenting technical information to people in an understanding and engaging manner. There's a lot of judgement call types of questions (actually most of em are). It will be questions like;

You have just finished a 10 minute lecture and 10 minute demonstration explaining setting up and external trust between two forests in a Windows 2000/2003 mixed environment. When you're finished, one of the students asks you what is a domain? How would you handle this situation

A. Tell the student he's an idiot

B. Explain to the student in detail what domains are, taking as long as needed to make sure the student understands.

C. Ignore the student's question and move on the next part of the lesson; Pull the student aside at the next break and explain what a domain is.

D. Give the student a quick basic explanation and move on the next part of the lesson

E. Tell the student you will explain it in detail in a bit. During the next break talk with the student and verify that he/she understands what the pre-requisites were for the class. If he/she does not, suggest appropiate courses the student might consider taking to obtain the pre-req skills needed for this class.

F. Ask the student if he's joking.

Or questions like.

You've just finished a dense technical lecture on border router security. Most of the class have the glazed eyed "deer in headlights" look on their faces, obviously showing confusion. What should your next step be?

A. Move to the next part of the lesson and hope the students are more into the remainder of the class.

B. Go back over the material using a projector and engaging the students more

C. Complement their confused look by returning the favor and looking back at them in the same manner.

D. Give the students a 15 minute break so that they might come back refreshed.

E. Ask the students if they have any questions; Then engage them by asking questions about the material and letting them answer it.

There are a few other "types" of questions as well, I'll keep posting more as time allows. But understand none of these questions are exact questions, the just mimic the style.
    If you've taught anything for a while, and find that you have a talent in teaching, it will come into play big time when you're doing the video portion of the test.
  • falcon2099falcon2099 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Greets everyone! I just happened upon this forum and found that I do indeed belong here. I just found out on Friday the 24th that I passed the video portion of my CTT+ certification! :w00t:

As far as the course material (and the test questions too) itself, I'll have to agree with keatron... the types of questions that they ask are bizarre. Don't forget, the main purpose of this certification is to give the candidate a "teaching" credential. Let me tell you, a two week cram session with the course manual (hard to find a really good one), the another two weeks planning and scripting the video shoot, then a 7 week wait for the results sure beats the time you would spend getting a B.Ed. or another teaching certificate. I opted for the CTT+ by the way over the MCT because the MCT requires a "yearly" renewal (somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 I think)

Anyways, if anyone wants any more insights or anything, let me know. (I gotta go, bedtime for the kids)

Peter
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius (c.551-c.479 BC)
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the info.

I don't know of that $300 renewal, but if you actually put that MCT to work, you won't have problems paying 300 bucks. icon_wink.gif

Johan
  • falcon2099falcon2099 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the welcome Johan... icon_thumright.gif
    Webmaster wrote:
    I don't know of that $300 renewal, but if you actually put that MCT to work, you won't have problems paying 300 bucks. icon_wink.gif

Re: renewal
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mct/guide/fees/northamerica.asp
    another source
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6331-1041712.html

I suppose we could always ask keatron, he could tell us for sure.

Now I do understand that if a MCT is put to work for an individual, that the $300/yr is easily recouped, but the whole issue is is that it is yet another money grab by Microsoft. Now I could understand if you had to renew every 3-5 years, but come on... every year?

That was the deciding factor when I was deciding what courses to take... CTT+ ($375 for both test vouchers) with no recert, or MCT ($300/year). For me anyways, it was a no-brainer. My career path right now is as a IT instructor at an adult education centre. (Most of our clients are injured workers who are there for retraining of some sort (English, math, ESL and computers). Most have only basic computer literacy and we are teaching them the basics of Windows XP and and introduction to Microsoft Office.) So if my only Training or Instructor cert is a CTT+, then that's fine and dandy. -- Still gets me $75k/year. :)icon_thumright.gif
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius (c.551-c.479 BC)
    Hey guys, the initial MCT fee is $400, the renewal fee is $400 (or at least that's what i've been paying every year :D ). You also have to teach 15 students per year, this has to be verifiable. Several other things like your approval ratings from the students you teach factor in also. This stuff is all compiled and evaluated through a program named MTM (metrics that matter). It's a complex formula and mixture of things they consider to help you keep the MCT status, and I won't even pretend I know what it all is, but if you don't meet it, you're axed. You're right, MS is always got a "money" edge (or it seems that way).

Some advantages though are this.

1. I know that if you're still certified you've taught 15 students within the last 12 months.

2. I know somebody (Microsoft and the metrics that matter program) has been auditing and doing at least some type of evaluation on you. In other words, who cares if you have a training certification if you haven't trained anyone in 5 years.

Of course there are advantages that CTT has over MCT also.
    Also I forget to mention one of the biggest advantages of being an MCT. You have free access to all the MOC (Microsoft Official Curriculm). This is the material you'll be using if you take a course at an authorized training center (you know, the courses that range from $1200 to $4000). So basically, I really don't have to take any courses for exams I'm preparing to take, because I have free access to the books, the power point and pdf 's, and the CD ISO images for the classes!!!!!! Talk about a benefit!
  • betzimbetzim Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi iam betzi. iam preparing for my CTT video exam . Can anyone sent me a sample CTT video presentation by any successful candidate?
    Are there any sample CTT+ presentations for online viewing?

Please mail me at betzim@alsayer.org

regards,betzi