Ergonomic equipment for work

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Like so many others I experience neck pain and back pain.

I go through this regiment everyday from pills to stretching etc.

My questions is about ergonomics. Anyone out there with neck and or back pain? What type of set up do you have.

I dropped my arm rest down lower and lowered my monitors and have them directly side by side so easy eye movements can view both screens.

Any equipment recommendations?

I think I may have arthirtist in my neck. I have seriously been in 10 car accidents, 3 of which were telephone poles head on and one rolled vehicle. Fast cars, beer, and teenagers don't make a good combination.

I think a lot of what I went through in my past is catching up with me.

Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    For that type of pain, you're going to need a good chair. Unless your employer is getting ready to replace ALL chairs in the office, good luck with that one. Even then, good luck getting them to spend a little extra on a good ergonomic one.

I've been a huge fan of ergonomic keyboards for the longest time. I'm typing this on a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 right now. ;) I was a little disappointed when I was told I could not get one for my new job, I mean come on we make the freaking things.. but nooo, it's not the "standard" says the admin lady... not possible to order me one that isn't the standard. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i bought my own chair, and brought it in. You can't buy a keyboard and bring in it?

most of my pain revolves with my fingers.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    i bought my own chair, and brought it in. You can't buy a keyboard and bring in it?

most of my pain revolves with my fingers.

I have one already... it's the principal of the matter. ;) I work from home so it's not like anyone is going to see that I have an ergonomic keyboard. The best part was the lady telling me she couldn't order one for me, had one. :p
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Any recommendations on chairs?
    N2IT wrote: »
    Any recommendations on chairs?

Serta Executive High-Back Chair, Black

That's the chair I bought for my home office. It fit my budget at the time, and has been an awesome chair.

I don't know what brand/model they were, but I've had some awesome mesh ergonomic chairs with all sorts of adjustments before... Government job, the chairs were like $1500 or something crazy like that. I can't see myself spending my own money on one, but they were really great chairs.
    That looks like a nice chair!
  • BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are websites about this type of information: OSHA Ergonomic Solutions: Computer Workstations eTool

The main thing is probably chair height and monitor height. Don't slouch! Sit up straight. Weightlifting can also be a form of stress relief because you're consciously contracting certain muscles. If you can work it into your schedule a nap early-mid afternoon does wonders.

Trackballs can be nice too.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    I've been a huge fan of ergonomic keyboards for the longest time. I'm typing this on a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 right now. ;) I was a little disappointed when I was told I could not get one for my new job, I mean come on we make the freaking things.. but nooo, it's not the "standard" says the admin lady... not possible to order me one that isn't the standard. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Get HR involved. Most organizations will get you things like this if the "standard" equipment causes you significant discomfort. It's not like you're asking for a faster computer or a gaming mouse; an ergonomic keyboard is more or less a necessity if it helps with arthritis or carpal tunnel.

No real advice for N2, unfortunately. I think anything is worth a shot, even if it means you buy your own chair or keyboard. You shouldn't have to IMO, but even if you do, it should be well worth your comfort.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When we moved offices we got these - Embody - Office Chair - Herman Miller
    So many adjustments that it's impossible to not find a comfortable position for you. Although quite pricey, well worth it.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Everyone wrote: »
    For that type of pain, you're going to need a good chair. Unless your employer is getting ready to replace ALL chairs in the office, good luck with that one. Even then, good luck getting them to spend a little extra on a good ergonomic one.

Assuming you are in the US, all you really need to do is get a doctors note explaining your medical issues and saying that you need an ergonomic chair/keyboard/whatever. Present it to your employer and they don't really have a choice but to comply unless they want to break disability laws.
    Awesome info

I really appreciate you all stepping up and providing such quality information. Thanks
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Heero wrote: »
    Assuming you are in the US, all you really need to do is get a doctors note explaining your medical issues and saying that you need an ergonomic chair/keyboard/whatever. Present it to your employer and they don't really have a choice but to comply unless they want to break disability laws.

Yes. As simple as that. This provides good examples of the importance of a doctor's note: http://www.auburnengineers.com/drupal_files/Ergo%20and%20ADA2.pdf
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Ha. That link reminds me of case studies i had to read in my Industrial and Organizational Psychology class. Always fun to read through stuff like that. Great link.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Yes. As simple as that. This provides good examples of the importance of a doctor's note: http://www.auburnengineers.com/drupal_files/Ergo and ADA2.pdf

Can't get a doctors note for a condition that does not yet exist. I started using an ergonomic keyboard a long long time ago, not because I have carpal tunnel or any other condition that would make typing on a regular keyboard painful, but because I wanted to avoid ever reaching that point. I knew I'd be spending 8+ hours a day for most of my life on a computer. Better to be proactive about such things.

Anyway, it isn't a big deal. I get a yearly allowance for equipment to buy whatever I need. Nothing says I have to use the keyboard and mouse they issued me. I can dip into my allowance to buy an ergonomic one if I want, but it means I won't have that $$$ for other supplies I might need.

Note I said "a little disappointed"... I didn't say I was outraged at the matter. Just thought the circumstances were a little silly, that's all.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Ergonomic? Yuck. ;)

At least no on mentioned a trackball mouse. Blasphemy!!!!
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Like so many others I experience neck pain and back pain.

I go through this regiment everyday from pills to stretching etc.

My questions is about ergonomics. Anyone out there with neck and or back pain? What type of set up do you have.

I dropped my arm rest down lower and lowered my monitors and have them directly side by side so easy eye movements can view both screens.

Any equipment recommendations?

I think I may have arthirtist in my neck. I have seriously been in 10 car accidents, 3 of which were telephone poles head on and one rolled vehicle. Fast cars, beer, and teenagers don't make a good combination.

I think a lot of what I went through in my past is catching up with me.

Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks

Not sure if anyone posted this , but Cyber guys has some stuff ..good luck

Ergonomic Office Furniture, Ergonomics Workstations and Supplies for arms, wrists, feet and back
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I have horrible back and neck pain. My neck pain gets so bad that I have to have my wife massage it with her elbow every night for a chance at me getting to sleep, and sometimes that doesn't help... My back pain can get so bad that I've had it where I could not even walk to the bathroom, I literally had to be dragged from room to room...

I picked up the following chair after my back went out the last time.

Amazon.com: Baxton Studio Adjustable Leather Chaise Lounge, Black: Home & Kitchen

I work from home and so I end up sliding it under my desk and work in a very reclined position. So far it has helped me tons. I don't have any neck or back pain while working, only some neck pain still while I sleep...
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender