Sharing Files in Win Server 2008

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
So heres my situation.

For reasons that I can't get into at the moment we have a Windows server 2008 R2 server acting as our file server.

I have about 10 shared file on it and out of those 10, 7 of them are password protected and the other 3 are so called anonomous shares with the guest account.

I can access the 3 open shares just fine but I dont even get prompted for a password for the others. All it tells me is "Windows cannot access \\<server Name>\folder

Its obviously some kind of permissions or policy issue but im lost.

FYI this is a non-domain machine so I have local accounts created on this machine but am not being prompted for logon credentials

Comments

• atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    So heres my situation.

For reasons that I can't get into at the moment we have a Windows server 2008 R2 server acting as our file server.

I have about 10 shared file on it and out of those 10, 7 of them are password protected and the other 3 are so called anonomous shares with the guest account.

I can access the 3 open shares just fine but I dont even get prompted for a password for the others. All it tells me is "Windows cannot access \\<server Name>\folder

Its obviously some kind of permissions or policy issue but im lost.

FYI this is a non-domain machine so I have local accounts created on this machine but am not being prompted for logon credentials

How did you password protect these shares?

Can you map these shares as network drives on your machine using the credentials that should have access to them?
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have local accounts created on this machine (i.e jdoe, bgates, etc) and gave these users access to the shares. but it wont even prompt me for credentials when trying to access these shares. If I try to map the share it doesnt connect even with the admin credentials
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I have local accounts created on this machine (i.e jdoe, bgates, etc) and gave these users access to the shares. but it wont even prompt me for credentials when trying to access these shares. If I try to map the share it doesnt connect even with the admin credentials

Is file and printer sharing turned on?
    Yes it is or I wouldnt get to the open shares
    What share/ntfs permissions have you assigned to these 7 shares?
    For example for use John Doe I have a share called jdoe.

The Share and NTFS permissions are Full control for Administrator, Administrators and John Doe

The funny thing is that I never get prompted for credentials so I wonder if its a network policy or setting

It might seem stupid but inorder to re-enable the access to my shares for diffrent users i had to disable the guest account and then change a setting in the local group policy disabling guest account access and setting classic which allows for local account logon