Teacher's aide fired for not giving up FB password

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First, dumb to post something like that (the picture) and to be friends with student's parents. But that being said, when is this stuff going to end? I was under the impression we were in America, must have been mistaken. I find it really funny that when I was having a background investigation done, my BI had to jump through hoops, and I had to send letters/make phone calls to get information released. Now suddenly, you are not allowed to have a private life...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Facebook has recently stated that they will be taking legal action against any employer who forces an employee to turn over their FB credentials.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think for the clearences, you're still not allowed a private life :P

atleast no blemishes.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow

That is crazy, can you say bye to your rights?!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Police state anyone?
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    Wow

That is crazy, can you say bye to your rights?!
    Did you mean "buy"? icon_wink.gif
    keenon wrote: »
    Police state anyone?
    No thank you. It's bad enough with employers who think they own you.
    @Keenon no kidding.

Police arrested people conducting a Caucus in St Charles Missouri a few weeks ago, because the temporary chairman ordered them too.
    I always maintained I am ok with it for a clearance, but during mine the investigator hit wall after wall of employers saying "you can't have that information." So why is it all of the sudden ok for them to demand access to this information? I wouldn't work for any company (besides a government agency in which I had a position requiring a clearance) that requested my password and/or to read over my Facebook. No different then saying "oh do you have a journal? You do? Ok we will need a copy of that." What you do with your time off the clock is your business as long as it does not affect your job performance. Wanna clamp down on something? Clamp down on the smokers taking smoke breaks on company time.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    First, dumb to post something like that (the picture) and to be friends with student's parents. But that being said, when is this stuff going to end? I was under the impression we were in America, must have been mistaken. I find it really funny that when I was having a background investigation done, my BI had to jump through hoops, and I had to send letters/make phone calls to get information released. Now suddenly, you are not allowed to have a private life...

Agreed

This is my opinion…
    1. Facebook should be for family and friends only!! Why hand your private life over to the company/organization you work for?

2. Linked in was created to allow people to have a professional social network of colleges and friends. You should use linkedin ,instead of facebook for professional relationships.

Why did the teacher post this item? Why did she become friends with the students parents?
    The more I hear about these stories, the more I want to just close my facebook account. I mostly use it to stay in touch with family and friends.
    I think security and privacy should be taught in schools and by the children's parents. I think people often forget that once it’s on facebook it’s considered public information.

I remember in school we were taught that if you didn’t want something to be posted in the newspaper, then you probably shouldn’t post it on facebook, linked in, ect…. I don't think she was thinking when she posted this item.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Privacy is a thing of the past lol. I mean heck we are already at the mercy of credit reporting agencies who with a simple/complex mistake on their part can pretty much make your life a living hell.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    translation of "internet" speak into the real world takes time. Anyone that reads it as the context should see it different. However, if there's no context - which most of internet tweets tend to be, there will be confusion. Sometimes horrible mistakes come from communication errors.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Facebook has recently stated that they will be taking legal action against any employer who forces an employee to turn over their FB credentials.

In Canada, asking for your fb password is illegal.
    Stuff like this is why I think about law school....doesn't seem like anyone is fighting for their right to privacy anymore
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Grinch good thought

One of us should embark upon that journey