Options

Hyperterminal not executing after hitting enter.

AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have searched all over the place for an answer for this. I saw something on this while looking for another problem with hyperterminal last night but when I ran into this problem I couldn't find the information again. So after kinda getting my lab going last night I decided to fool around with one of 1760 routers a little bit (I have absolutely no experience with Cisco besides putting this lad together and very limited networking experience).

So after finally figuring (well searching Google..lol) out how to see what I was typing I think I'm ready to go. Alan2308 on here is kinda mentoring me through this whole beginning process and he gave me a link with some beginning commands. So i finally get to where I can type and I no to the first questions the router asked and hit and.........it goes down a line and nothing....so i hit it again same thing. So i hit it again, same, after working on just getting to this point for 2.5 hours (first router needs some help I guess messed with that for about 45 minutes) i just calmly turned everything off and went to bed.

So to make my very long story short why is the enter button not doing a damn thing besides going to the next line down.
WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress

Comments

• Options
    Ok so i figure I might as well mess with it this morning while I am waiting for one of you gurus to hopefully help me out. I start looking around for other options and find putty. I down load it and check it out and it says something about using enter to skid a line and using ^m as a command or some thing to that effect (that is what I got out of it anyway). So i go back to ht and mess hit backspace to try and delete something then type in ^m which came up as double text (which I have now fixed) and it starts working. i have no idea why unless this ^m had something to do with it. I'm going to post what I typed so you guys can see it...maybe someone can tell me why it started working.

Would##h+ hike to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: ^^mm

% Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

% Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: nnoo

Press RETURN to get started!
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Hello, What OS are you using and are you using cisco console cable OR usb-to serial adapter?

Have you tried downloading Putty or TeraTerm and verified if you get the same results?

Ok, when it asks you yes/no ...type in a simple "no" and press enter. What do you get then?

then "enable" and enter
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Using Xp professional. i downloaded putty but haven't tried it yet. It seems everything is working fine. here is what I got when I typed in those commands. This is RIGHT after the last part I showed in my second post. The guide I'm using told me to look at the commands when entering a"?". Then I then typed enable and it changed modes like it was supposed too.

Here is the guide I'm doing right now.

http://www.jlsnet.co.uk/index.php?page=cc_beginner

Nov 26 16:23:2EPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1/1, changed sta
    te to down

Nov 26 16:23:31.623: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEtherne
    t0/0, changed state to up

Nov 26 16:23:33.070: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEtherne
    t0/0, changed state to down

Nov 26 16:26:41.002: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE (f
    c2)

Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems

Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 17-Mar-08 14:24 by dchih

Nov 26 16:26:41.046: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host Router is undergoing
    a cold start

Nov 26 16:26:41.062: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state t
    o administratively down

Nov 26 16:26:41.062: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0/0, changed state to admi
    nistratively down

Nov 26 16:26:41.062: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0/1, changed state to admi
    nistratively down

Nov 26 16:26:41.062: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial1/0, changed state to admi
    nistratively down

Nov 26 16:26:41.062: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial1/1, changed state to admi
    nistratively down

Router>??

Exec commands:

access-enable Create a temporary Access-List entry

access-profile Apply user-profile to interface

clear Reset functions

connect Open a terminal connection

disable Turn off privileged commands

disconnect Disconnect an existing network connection

enable Turn on privileged commands

exit Exit from the EXEC

help Description of the interactive help system

lock Lock the terminal

login Log in as a particular user

logout Exit from the EXEC

modemui Start a modem-like user interface

mrinfo Request neighbor and version information from a multicast

router

mstat Show statistics after multiple multicast traceroutes

mtrace Trace reverse multicast path from destination to source

name-connection Name an existing network connection

pad Open a X.29 PAD connection

ping Send echo messages

ppp Start IETF Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)

resume Resume an active network connection

rlogin Open an rlogin connection

show Show running system information

slip Start Serial-line IP (SLIP)

- e

Router>eenablelee

Router#

Router#
  • Options
    Sounds like you have ECHO or something on, use putty or teraterm or something, hyperterminal is horrid.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    JeanM wrote: »
    Sounds like you have ECHO or something on, use putty or teraterm or something, hyperterminal is horrid.
    Yup i second that. I normally use putty and have never had a problem. Hyperterminal is quite terrible
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    I did have echo on, that was the reason for the double text but I had to turn it on at first because I couldn't see any text I was attempting to write. As I said I downloaded putty now to find some documentation on it to figure out how to use it.
  • Options
    Ok so now putty is doing the same thing that hyperterminal was doing, with the enter button. I hit the enter button and it just skips a line but doen not run the command I type. This is starting to get frustrating.lol
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    AintRite wrote: »
    Ok so now putty is doing the same thing that hyperterminal was doing, with the enter button. I hit the enter button and it just skips a line but doen not run the command I type. This is starting to get frustrating.lol

What exactly is it that you expect the router to do? What output are you expecting from the commands that your are running? Routers tend to sit there and route and not put on flashy displays of their routing prowess

Commands such as:

enable
    show version
    show startup-config

etc., may give you a place to start.

George
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    I posted a link to the beginners guide in my third post but to answer your question, I would like it to get past the very first command...."no". I just want to know why it doesn't do anything but skip down a line when I hit enter,now.

The answer to this question....

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

Just so you don't have to search here is the link to the guide I'm trying to do.
    JLSNet :: Cisco Configs : Beginner Guide to Cisco Router Configuration
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    here is what you could try:

plug out the console cable
    power up the router, give it some time to boot up
    plug in console cable again
    start terminal programm and try to connect

some devices sometimes mess up with some usb adapters and produce weird stuff in the console window. this way helped me to work around it a few times ...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    ^ that. Plus also keep in mind to verify serial port settings (baud set on the terminal software you use and the physical device need to match for example). It may not be your problem, but something to check, you could issue "show run" and sometimes a previous person could have set the console port speed to something other than 9600.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention I'm using serial to rj45 console cable. I think it was the way I was powering things up. I haven't had a problem since I last posted . I have started to open up Putty (I dropped hyperterminal) first then power the equipment up. Haven't had a problem since then. I have barley scratched the surface and I am loving the learning so far. Got my Odom's Third Edition in the mail today so I am on my way. I'm sure there will be a ton more stupid posts from me trying to learn so get ready for them.lol

Thanks for all the replys and I hope some day I will be able to help some on this site like the help I receive. Thanks.
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    AintRite wrote: »
    I forgot to mention I'm using serial to rj45 console cable. I think it was the way I was powering things up. I haven't had a problem since I last posted . I have started to open up Putty (I dropped hyperterminal) first then power the equipment up. Haven't had a problem since then. I have barley scratched the surface and I am loving the learning so far. Got my Odom's Third Edition in the mail today so I am on my way. I'm sure there will be a ton more stupid posts from me trying to learn so get ready for them.lol

Thanks for all the replys and I hope some day I will be able to help some on this site like the help I receive. Thanks.

Good luck in your studies.
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    Thanks, I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Ok so now I can't get the router prompt (Router>) on any of my three routers? I am using PuTTY now and everything worked fine until yesterday morning. I was using it 8 hours before that. It will go through the boot process but then at the end the router prompt is missing. Anyone have any ideas what is happening. I'm guessing this is a router problem and not PuTTY. I have searched all over the net but have found nothing on this kind of thing.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What happens when you open putty and hit enter a few times?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You may have a bad console cable. I have ran into issues similar to yours and that turned out to be the case. Have you tried swapping the one that you are using now with another one?
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    LOL...I have not and I have about 8 brand new ones. That should have been the first I should have done. I have switched computers even but not cables.
  • Options
    NICE!!!! That worked. That first cable didn't last that long. Only used it four or five times. I hate when I over look the simple things that should be tried first, I'll now crawl back under the rock I was hiding.
  • Options
    Nice! Well, that was easy :)