Options

Suggested changes for my home lab?

flyboynmflyboynm Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have 3 x 2600 series routers with WIC-2Ts, 3 x 2950 switches and a 3550 switch. I have this for my CCNA lab. Can you recommend any changes or additions if I was going to go for my CCNP? I am debating going for the CCNP after I get my CCNA but would like to go ahead and buy whatever I need now instead of waiting for after my decision.

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Well, the 2600 series are fine for CCNA but they won't run 12.4 IOS for example. I would either upgrade to at least 26xx XM series for routers. The 2950s are perfect for the CCNA, but as you know not much for CCNP and up.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Basically I need to sell all of the equipment (other than the 3550) and buy new stuff. ;) I can use this as an excuse with the wife to get new hardware. :P
  • Options
    SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    flyboynm wrote: »
    Basically I need to sell all of the equipment (other than the 3550) and buy new stuff. ;) I can use this as an excuse with the wife to get new hardware. :P

I kind of planned ahead and built INE's CCIE rack if I ever decide to go that far lol. It's perfect for any scenario you can think of at the CCNP level. INE also gave away their CCNP workbook and it's made for that topology.

How To Build A CCIE Rack | INE

I haven't bought the 3560s yet, getting those later.. I used 4x 3550s for the SWITCH exam and that covered most of what's required for the exam (except private VLANs but that's a fairly simple concept so I didn't feel I needed to invest so much for this).

If I had to redo it, I would go with a variation of the proposed topology... (actually upgrading my lab already for that).

5 x 1841 routers (R1, R2, R4, R5 and R6)
    1 x 2651XM for R3 (Dual ethernet with an NM-4A/S)
    and for BB1-2-3, possible 2600 series or 2600XM series just so I can do something else with them if I want (probably easier to resell as well).

So it might be worthwhile to hang on to your 2600 series for that...
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd keep at least 1 or 2 of your 2950's since you can do vlan configurations and test a lot of labs. They're not completely useless.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    for CCNP SWITCH get rid of one of the 2950 and get another 3550 instead. or if you are not on a budget sell em all and get 2 2960s and 2 3560s like cisco recommends it in the lab manual.

for ROUTE i used GNS3 with an actual image. makes it easy to adjust topologies and get crazy with a lot of devices :)
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    I bought on ebay 2 2811s earlier today and 3 3550s. Wife is not happy with me but understands I needed the hardware.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, switch-wise you pretty much have enough - it's what I have (except for a 3rd 2950 I accidentally bid on and won). For routers, you'd be fine using gns3 and calling it good.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    I messed up. I saw a 2610XM on ebay (based upon title) and bid on it because it had about a minute late. In the description they said that it is not an XM but a plan old 2610. icon_sad.gif Okay, I now have 4 2600 series routers, 3 2950 switches and a 3550. Maybe I can talk the wife into letting me keep them as "backups" and buy more hardware for the CCNP. icon_wink.gif

Trying to figure out what to do after my Associate's Degree that I get at the end of the Summer. Should I get my CCNP and go for the CCIE afterwards or get my Bachelor's? hmm, tough question.
  • Options
    so you got 4 2600s, 2 2811s, 3 2950 and 4 3550 (if i got that right) so thats 11 devices... maybe you should block ebay.com for while :D
  • Options
    The nice thing is I can afford to buy this stuff right now. I am not the normal college student - old fart (almost 40), on disability and supplemental disability that make it so I am pretty well of financially AND getting workman's comp on top of all of it. :)

It is nice to have the resources to buy toys. My wife said she would rather me collect more electronics than collect other women. :P
  • Options
    yeah but you should not waste your money on stuff you dont really need... for example the CCNP SWITCH material is based on 4 switches, labbing around with 7 of them will not make the stuff more fun (at least if you are learning for the exam).

if you really want to invest into something which provides more use go for the 2960/3560 series, you will be able to do stuff like private vlans with them which are not supported in the XX50 series.

but anyways, i am looking forward to see pictures of you lab if you are finished shopping :)

p.s.: its good to buy something small for the wife when shopping electronics ;)
  • Options
    When all of it arrives, I will do the pics. I am expecting the 2600 series router in tomorrow along with another switch. Well, all the routers other than the one I won today.

I already got my wife a gift. :)

My end gambit will be to sell the 2610s, 2950s and keep the 2811s, 3550 to start my next hardware build. Probably will get an 1841 (maybe) or another 2811. I will take your advice and look into the 3560 switch. I just hope that I can get them at a somewhat reasonable price. The 2811s were ~$400 on ebay. Sound like a plan or do you see any holes in that theory?
  • Options
    if you are shooting for ccna now i would keep the 3550 for now, they are more than enough. for routers i would keep a total of 4 devices or use gns 3. note that you can run routing protocols on the 3550s too since they are layer 3 switches (which is not covered by ccna but if you wanna get serious in networking you will have to get the concept anyway)

if you got your ccna and decide to advance into ccnp you can always sell 2 of the 3550 and look out for 3560s - if this is the way you choose to go.
  • Options
    Understood. I do not want to have anything I am not going to use after December. I am going to move then (probably to Houston, but maybe San Antonio) from New Mexico and it will be a bit much to drag worthless items with me. I know about the "no switch" command to make a 3550 port into a router port. (Is that the correct way to say that?)

Forgot to mention earlier but I just do not like GNS3. I learn better on the actual hardware than with simulator/virtual systems. Not all the commands work properly from what I have seen with GNS3.