Options

skillsoft

ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
How is the skillsoft material? Looks like I have access to the whole library through work. Mostly interested in Windows 2008, CISSP, and some CompTIA stuff.
Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete

Comments

• Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been using skillsoft for the past month or so at my job. Not a bad deal. Some of the material appears to be a bit outdated but overall it's not bad. I have been using the Skillsoft platform as an intro to each subject I am studying for. Once I finish the material I then move on to one of the better recommended books like MS-Press (depends) or Sybex. Studying for my 70-640 now as a matter of fact.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have used Skillsoft for the CISSP and I was very disappointed in the product. You could use this as a secondary resource.
  • Options
    hardstylewonhardstylewon Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE

I have used skillsoft since 2009 and it's a joke. Don't do it.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    agreed. its ridiculous. Honestly, if you can, get access to CERT VTE.
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I get it for free at my work. It's not that great. I definitely wouldn't pay for it, but since it's free I use it as a source for my studies. It's a pretty huge library which is cool. It's really good for reviewing material you already know. But a lot of time the way they explain things isn't great and I'm not a fan..
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□

Same here. I use it to measure what I already know.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's good - average depending on what you want to learn. I can image for the CISSP it would be terrible. Learning Visio or Outlook it's great. Learning SQL or Java not so much.

It depends on what you are studying. The Windows material is ok, at least it was for XP and 2003.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like that I can access Books 24x7. A lot of good books are there.

But the SkillSoft courseware? Utter garbage. I still have access to it as WGU alumni but WGU threatens that they'll remove it at some point in the future for us..... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□

That's the best thing about skillsoft, IMO. At first I didn't get the value of it because it seemed like a bunch of business executive books so I didn't do much with it. After seeing someone here mention it I started exploring and found the tech books. Awesome.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ ERP

You got that right. A lot of good books out there. I have about 5 lined up at home, when if I get those finished I plan on reading a few on books 24X7.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use it to help brush up on basic skills. I got it because I was in the National Guard and since I am retired it seems I get it plus Books 24/7 for as long as the government keeps a contract with them. I like it for what it is, a basic review and learning. I would not use it as a sole preparation tool for getting certified but I liked it for getting the basic idea of doing some things that I might not want to pursue the cert for.
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    We get skillsoft an dbooks 24 through work. For me personally books 24 is better than skillsoft. Skillsoft is good to get a broad overview of the product as appose to actually knowing something. Dont get me wrong II still use it as at the end of the day all correct knowledge is good!
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    But the SkillSoft courseware? Utter garbage.

I have to clarify this statement.

For technical learning and certification prep, what I stated earlier is somewhat true. However, if one is looking for rudimentary/foundational knowledge, SkillSoft might not be so terrible.

As I was looking into resources for filling in small gaps for Accounting (and later Finance) I'm finding that Skillsoft courses does a wonderful job in structuring my study time. Mind you, something like "T accounts" is a bit lacking, but that just tells me that I have to supplement SkillSoft with something else.

I would not use SkillSoft as a sole study source...but for building foundational knowledge, it's not terrible [it will make reading/using other material go somewhat more smoother.] Books 24x7 is still a great function of SkillSoft, but I'm really liking their courseware for stuff like accounting and finance.

For other things like ITIL and PMP, I might want to look at them as well at some point. But their Microsoft offerings are terribly lacking and that was what was coloring my opinion of them.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    yeah, it's weird, some of their course are excellent, and some seem to be filled with gaps... but it seems to be great as a second resource for me
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Their compTIA stuff is pretty good
    although I would recommend extra study material if you are new to the field
    if you got some experience behind you, it should be enough for the basic certs (A+, net+ etc)

I dont know about the other courses though
    meh
  • Options
    i must have cursed myself, after I complimented Skillsoft here, I tried it for Project+ and hated it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    i must have cursed myself, after I complimented Skillsoft here, I tried it for Project+ and hated it

I did use Skillsoft for Project+ [briefly] and I found it terribly lacking. Microsoft was a joke, and I can't comment on Cisco (though if I had to bet money, I'm sure it sucks too.) The Sybex book was really all I needed for that..that and the formulas...

I might deal with the PMP Fourth Edition material when the time comes.
  • Options
    I used it for my CCNA and actually found it to be very helpful
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike^2, do you think SkillSoft could be used for the single CCNA exam (as opposed to two)?
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I used skillsoft exclusively for my CISSP studies, I couldnt stand the IAO 5th Ed, and thought it covered the topics I needed help with enough to pass the exam.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Mike^2, do you think SkillSoft could be used for the single CCNA exam (as opposed to two)?

if you remember my posts, I wasn't a first time around guy... so maybe I'm not the best guy to answer this.... but

I would not say it's a standalone device. Skillport + Labsim = win for me. Sybex book + Skillport = pretty close to the win

Something about reading the words and listening to that robot voice makes it sink in my head

side note: if I had to do it all over again, Iwould recommend doing the 1 test route
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    if you remember my posts, I wasn't a first time around guy... so maybe I'm not the best guy to answer this....

It's cool, and I do value your opinion.

I was only asking more out of curiousity. Sometime before I'm done with IT (or even working) I do want to get a CCNA *just for fun.* [Which is what I've also posted...] I wouldn't even put the CCNA on my resume, because it really would be out of my scope. I understand routing, networking enough to do my job, but I'm not trying to configure OSPF, BGP or EIGRP routes. But at the same time, I want to have intelligent conversation with the folks that do [preferably folks who will one day work for me...lol.]

The only thing I know is that if I was personally gunning for the CCNA route, I would do it in one test as well.

But I think we can all agree that Skillsoft is enough for fundamental knowledge, but definitely not in-depth knowledge. I'm really starting to appreciate that with my accounting studies.
  • Options
    tridiburtridibur Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

Have anyone used "Skillsoft" for getting a CISA certification and actually took the real "CISA" test? how did you do? would you think the questions from skillsoft were similar to the real CISA test?
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    skillsoft is a great tool for helping you with your insomnia! seriously, i can barely stay awake using it! some of their information is just wrong as well.. i have been forcing myself to use them on the MS project 2010 stuff so I could at least get a feel for 2010 project and gain some PDU's for maintaining my PMP cert (they are an approved provider through PMI).... i was forced to use them for a couple certs because that was the only way the govt would give me the vouchers to take the exams, but if i had relied solely on skillsoft i would have failed miserably.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    I don't see prices on the Skillsoft web site. How much cost "ORACLE DATABASE 11G: SQL FUNDAMENTALS I"?
  • Options
    Most people who utilize Skillsoft have it through school, employer or military. I don't know anyone who would buy SkillSoft directly.

To echo what others have said, Skillsoft classes really are boring...but I had to do them to get my 35 contact hours for PMI to take the PMP exam. If I didn't do that, I would never use them.

By the same token, Skillsoft is AWESOME for Books 24x7. One of my required textbooks for grad school is on Books 24x7, so I'm reading that through there, PLUS another book I had to find had a legitimate source for the Belbin Team Inventory. (A test an individual takes to see where he/she would fall in a group...there's a nice Wiki about it, but I would never cite a Wiki article.....ever.)
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I have access to the Skillsoft material from work but I have the same problem. Material is outdated, the instructor is monotonous at best and as universalfrost said can be advertised as a cure for insomnia.
    I loved CBT Server 2008 Nuggets by James Conrad but VMware with Greg Shields not so much. Love the Trainsignal VMWare training. After these Skillsoft feels well....icky
    I am doing the EMC Storage Fundamentals from Skillsoft as I dont have the cash to go through the other trainings but its slow going. For CCNA will recommend CBT Nuggets, I never gave the exam but the videos were top notch
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]