Options

portfast edge and portfast network???

JayrodEFJayrodEF Member Posts: 111 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,
Haven't posted here in forever, but thought I'd run this one by everyone. On a Cisco 6509, I have options for 'spanning-tree portfast edge', and 'spanning-tree portfast network'. There's also a 'disable' option but that's obvious. My question is, what's the difference between 'edge' and 'network' and in what situations would you use one or the other?

I also have a couple TRUNK interfaces that have 'spanning-tree portfast edge' enabled on them, but when I do a 'show spanning-tree int gig 12/blah portfast' on it, it shows disabled for all VLANs. So it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

Thanks for your help!

Jared

Comments

• Options
    nomanenomane Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You would enable portfast edge on access/host ports for the port to bypass the listening/learning states and immediately go into forwarding state.

You use the portfast network on trunk ports to enable bridge assurance feature which pretects against loops by detecting unidirectional links in the STP topology. But normally bridge assurance is enabled by default. This is only supported in the 12.2(33)SXI and later releases.

More details on STP features for 6500 linky
    CCDA ( ) - Dec 2012
    CCDP ( ) - 2013
  • Options
    You would enable portfast edge on access/host ports for the port to bypass the listening/learning states and immediately go into forwarding state.

You use the portfast network on trunk ports to enable bridge assurance feature which pretects against loops by detecting unidirectional links in the STP topology. But normally bridge assurance is enabled by default. This is only supported in the 12.2(33)SXI and later releases.
    CCDA ( ) - Dec 2012
    CCDP ( ) - 2013
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So is the functionality the same on 'portfast network' as opposed to 'portfast trunk' ?
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    My understanding, you'll only use 'portfast trunk' when connecting a trunk port to a server which needs 802.1q and you want fastport edge behavior . But you can use 'portfast network' feature on trunk port between two switches to enable 'bridge assurance'
    CCDA ( ) - Dec 2012
    CCDP ( ) - 2013
  • Options
    arpitCCIEarpitCCIE Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey mates,

Normal portfast command has been replaced with portfast edge.

Portfast trunk has been replaced with portfast edge trunk.

Portfast network command is a new command which is used with Bridge Assurance feature which is just a replacement of UDLD (for Unidirectional Links Detection)

But I have no idea what that "portfast normal" this is for.

HTH