Options

Finally figured out why I couldn't telnet into my 2950

lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
Been trying to do a IOS upgrade on my 2 2950s. Switch 1 and Switch 2.

Everytime I would try to telnet into the first one it would time out. Then I realized I forgot to connect the ethernet cable into the switch. DUH Thought I was connected to it because I had an ethernet cable already plugged into it that I forgot was going to one of my routers. Problem solved, right? WRONG. The telnet would still time out on me.

I erased the switch configuration and started again. Got everything setup to what I thought was correct. But I would still get a timed out error message when I would try and telnet to it. I triple checked the configuration and couldn't see anything wrong. I was finally going to post my configuration on here when I did a show interface on the port I was connected to. It said that the line protocol was down. WHAT, I've got a green light on my switchport.

I pulled my cable from the computer and bent over my lab to pull the cable up and what do you think I noticed? I had the ethernet cable plugged into switch 1 but I was actually consoled into switch 2. Talk about a well deserved face palm. LOL

Will that help with any tests I have to take, No. But it will sure help in real life on the job. Which unless you already have the experience you should be doing as well as preparing for tests.
2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
CCNA: TBD

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ha! Good times! One mistake I made in my studies was putting the console cable in an ethernet switchport. It was a head banger until I realized it. Stuff like that makes me more conscious of what I'm doing.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    LOL, good story man, very I think that happens to everyone at some point or another.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The advantages of real equipment. Though, it's a simple mistake - you'll never forget to plug that cable in again.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's why I really enjoy the real stuff. You miss out on those small troubleshooting task with real gear when you use PackTracer or GNS3. The physical gear gets you really ready and that's why I personally need to be better with my lab hardware.
  • Options
    nkillgorenkillgore Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got into an argument with my boss while trying to set up layer 3 switching at work. I kept telling him something was wrong with the trunking between a couple of switches, but NOOOO he was sure he had set it up. I was sitting behind him telling him what to do so he could learn, and I had to make him telnet to the switch and show int trunk and it still took me making him actually read the **** output before he would believe me.

It's always the little things that get you. Especially the ones you are certain you already set up right.