"Free" time?

eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
I'm graduating with my Bachelors of Science in Management Information Systems in less than a month; I have no idea what to do with myself! I'll have a lot more time to play with the baby (not really a baby anymore), but I need suggestions for me time! Here's a list of potential pursuits in my near future:

- Read all of those non-fiction books that have been piling up from Christmases/wistful purchases from the past four years.

- CCNA

- MCSA

- MCITP: EA

- Learn a dead language (Sanskrit/Greek) or Icelandic

- Work overtime

The excitement is palpable! What to do?!
MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're close to finishing MCSA, do it, because it will likely be gone in a year.

Otherwise, CCNA or MCITP:EA, depending on what your direction is.

Don't work overtime. Study!
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hit the gym maybe?

I bought the books to learn Spanish, but never got around to cracking them open. Very difficult to find spare time.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hit the gym, and listening to spanish using mp3 player?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Forget MCSA at this stage IMO, it depends how long you will be swanning around... icon_wink.gif if you wanted to do MCITP:EA 2008 and then do the 2012 upgrade, then the material would be fresh in your mind. But you could go CCNA then MCITP:EA 2012... you don't say what interests you most. If you wanted to learn a language... learn Chinese.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just my two cents but I dont expect that too many people lay on their death bed thinking that they should have gained that extra certification or studied more. What free time that I have, I spend with my family. There's always a balance to be struck. I already spend enough time on my career. If ypu are looking for something extra to advance your career, what is yor current job now?
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    paul78 wrote: »
    Just my two cents but I dont expect that too many people lay on their death bed thinking that they should have gained that extra certification or studied more. What free time that I have, I spend with my family. There's always a balance to be struck. I already spend enough time on my career. If ypu are looking for something extra to advance your career, what is yor current job now?

+1. Took the words out of my mouth.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    paul78 wrote: »

I am a "Network Analyst" with less than one year's experience at present. Unfortunately, in my organization, that involves a lot of finger pointing, hand waving, pouting, whining and preparing for pity parties. I've been given the FNG's tasks around here, which do not even include systems administration in any meaningful manner. I'm given spreadsheets, circuit/air card/phone bills, clerical work, cell phone troubleshooting, etc. In other words, I'm looking to secure some experience or certifications so that I can prepare for a serious senior systems analyst position somewhere else.

Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Forget MCSA at this stage IMO, it depends how long you will be swanning around... icon_wink.gif if you wanted to do MCITP:EA 2008 and then do the 2012 upgrade, then the material would be fresh in your mind. But you could go CCNA then MCITP:EA 2012... you don't say what interests you most. If you wanted to learn a language... learn Chinese.

I think if I had to choose a route, it would be systems administration. The few advanced responsibilities that I do have are comprised mostly of network equipment; I don't think I have what it takes to be a hardcore gearhead. I like systems and information security, I think.

I was thinking about finishing up MCSA (two more tests) to upgrade to MCITP: EA later; I can get the student discount pricing on 290 and 291. Is this worth it, or not so much?

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    I think if I had to choose a route, it would be systems administration. The few advanced responsibilities that I do have are comprised mostly of network equipment; I don't think I have what it takes to be a hardcore gearhead. I like systems and information security, I think.

I was thinking about finishing up MCSA (two more tests) to upgrade to MCITP: EA later; I can get the student discount pricing on 290 and 291. Is this worth it, or not so much?
    Server 2003 is quite old now, that's why I wouldn't be starting with that now, even 2008 has been out 3 years now. It's up to you what you want to do...

Green text means you have already passed it:

MCSA to MCITP:SA - 680 290 291 MCDST -> 648 646 (4 tests)
    MCSA to MCITP:EA - 680 290 291 MCDST -> 648 643 647 (5 tests)

MCITP: SA - 680 640 642 646 (3 tests)
    MCITP: EA - 680 640 642 643 647 (4 tests)
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Server 2003 is quite old now, that's why I wouldn't be starting with that now, even 2008 has been out 3 years now. It's up to you what you want to do...

Green text means you have already passed it:

MCSA to MCITP:SA - 680 290 291 MCDST -> 648 646 (4 tests)
    MCSA to MCITP:EA - 680 290 291 MCDST -> 648 643 647 (5 tests)

MCITP: SA - 680 640 642 646 (3 tests)
    MCITP: EA - 680 640 642 643 647 (4 tests)

Thanks, I just assumed the upgrade would be an easier path. I have all of the MCITP books and a copy of Server 2008 already.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.