Options

Definitive Curriculum?

alastairalastair Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm deep in study mode for my second and hopefully final attempt at attaining CCNA accreditation. However I'm having some difficulty working out whether a given topic is in or out of the exam.

As an example, I did some company-sponsored training with skillsoft, and they covered setup of ISDN PRI links. But then I look in my Todd Lammle book ("CCNA Study Guide Deluxe Edition") and it says that PRI is not tested.

There are similar questions over the validity of using subnet zero in the exam. Again, my book says no, but others online say yet.

I tried searching the Cisco site looking for answers to these and other questions but came up blank.

Ideally I'd like a Cisco website that answered the question "is X in or out" for a set of likely candidates for topic X.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    OK it seems that my Lammle book is outdated. I bought this 4th edition back in December and now find that there's a 5th edition out. The 5th edition does cover PRI and subnet zero.

So the question really is: what has changed in the curriculum from pre-2005 besides these two topics?
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/current_exams/640-801.html#examtop

Cisco doesn't say "You will get questions on this and not on that" to the level you are hoping on any of their exams. Instead they give a broad outline of what may be covered and expect you to understand most of it.

Yankee
  • Options
    Yankee wrote:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/current_exams/640-801.html#examtop

Cisco doesn't say "You will get questions on this and not on that" to the level you are hoping on any of their exams. Instead they give a broad outline of what may be covered and expect you to understand most of it.

Right, but it's kinda important to know whether subnet zero is a valid answer for the exam or not.

It seems that all this knowledge is dispersed through the training providers.

Similarly, when the curriculum changes, it's important to know a) that it has changed, b) when it takes effect, and c) what has changed.

Those that are studying need to know this information and it doesn't seem to be online, or even publically accessible.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    It will clearly state in the question whether or not subnet zero will be used or not. In fact, it will be stated in all bold, uppercase, and a larger font than the rest of the question.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Also, if you use Cisco Press books, as Cisco adds new content to their tests, updates containing the new content are available from Ciscopress.com. I have always been a Sybex fan, but I have to give it to Cisco Press for Cisco tests.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p