So who's working 60-70+ hours a week?

2»

Comments

• poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My old job was about 55 hrs a week, which left no time for studies. My current regular job is about 32 hrs a week (for the same amount of money as the 55 hr/week job), but I also have a side gig as an IT contractor that takes up some time during the week, so I'd say I probably average about 45 hrs a week on the job, and still not NEARLY enough time to study.

Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    53 hours. The overtime helps, I take every bit of it when possible. I was working a second job, but my career choice makes it so I can't work a second job. For example, on my birthday weekend (this weekend), I'll be putting in some hard overtime to get a client reader for the next season.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dead_p00l wrote: »
    Unless you happen to be on salary.

If you work in the United States, being on salary does not mean that you cannot be classified as non-exempt. It's actually a misconception (in the US) that salary equates exemption from the Fair Labor Standards Act. Non-exempt means a job is not exempt from the FLSA and overtime pay is due.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    must be a common misconception. first time i've heard of this, paul.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    My current job easy in the 50 hour a week role. The next job I start in a week is hourly contractor. Everything over 40 has to be approved, so I will be doing 9-5 with no lunch remotely or 8-5 with a hour lunch when I'm on site. I will be taking after hours troubleshooting calls, so hopefully I can make the money pile up.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    must be a common misconception. first time i've heard of this, paul.
    I was trying to find a site that explains flsa without too much legal mumbojumbo in it. This one is pretty decent - Computer Workers and FLSA -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource .
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Hoohhh? Do you live in Japan? Speak Japanese?

I actually mentioned that to lead into notes on the Japanese work ethic, which is to be in the office 10-12 hours a day and always look busy. It's their society's way having only had 8 hour work days put into law, recently from what I understand.

Our parent company is in Japan, but my facility is in Los Angeles. I don't speak enough Japanese to keep up in a business meeting, but I do speak a little. I've picking things up from work and dinners (also a cultural thing). About 1/2 the meetings are in Japanese which are either translated or have nothing to do with IT, so I don't attend.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness