National IT Call Out of Work Day

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So yesterday was a pretty crappy day. Lots of people complaining and telling me how to do my job. Which got me to thinking about an IT version of the Blue Flu. Blue Flu is when police officers call out sick as a form of protest (as sometimes they are not allowed to strike). Your so smart, fix it yourself ;) Sorry, needed to vent a little!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Seem to remember that idea's been bounced around before.

Short-term remedy for these maladies on the IT side: remember who IT is for-- the rest of the business, not you. The people are your customers even if they may be unruly, dishonest, careless, ill-informed, capricious, crabby, selfish, lazy, distracted, or whatever adjective applies at the moment.

On the IT management end, it would pay for folks to remember: the rest of the business is sometimes why IT folks can use lots of time off.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    <--Huh??

Yeah where I work they downsized so much over the years before I was hired. At one of my previous contracts they were so short on staffing and it was impossible to ask for more. Management wanted justification but it was so hard to prove/show the value of having a few extra bodies to help out when some IT work is not a consistent 8 hour shift job. Sometimes there is value in being able to spread the work around so you have some people that are good at several things vs just having certain experts who if they leave it causes huge problems.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    So yesterday was a pretty crappy day. Lots of people complaining and telling me how to do my job. Which got me to thinking about an IT version of the Blue Flu. Blue Flu is when police officers call out sick as a form of protest (as sometimes they are not allowed to strike). Your so smart, fix it yourself ;) Sorry, needed to vent a little!

So today is a new day and hopefully it'll be a better day :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It has been slightly better ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff