How many books do you have queued up?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
My mother recently provided me with a ton of books, several IBM SOA books, SAP BW and R/3 design books. On top of those I have some Windows 2003 server books I want to read.

In total these are the books I have queued up, it's quite pathetic

Six Sigma (Currently Reading)
SAP BW Design (Currently Reading)
IBM SOA (Currently Reading)
IBM SOA Design (Queued)
Windows 2003 290-291 (Queued)
Linux + Jang (Queued)

Then of course my eBook from my University which takes priority over all books. Those are actively being read daily.

Do you all have a list like this? Is it healthy to have a list like this or can it be distracting and create conflict.

Just wondering what your strategy is regarding technicial and business reading?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I typically have several books being read at a similar time. Different books might be in different parts of the house. At times, they migrate with me, but it depends.

Reading several different books isn't 'unhealthy', but it may not work for some people simply because they can't focus on any one topic. So, all I would say is it, try it. Maybe in the morning you read a certain book or genre, then during the day you focus on school, in the evening you focus on something else? However, back when I was in school (and dinosaurs roamed) I focused on school texts and related topics and didn't cross read like I do today, simply because most of my classes had so much reading in them already, there was little 'extra' time to read more than one or two additional non-fiction books.

If you really want to kick up your reading, add audio books if you need to drive during your day ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Reading two CCENT books (Odom and Lammle). In the queue I have Network Warrior (bought, but want to wait until after the CCNA to read), a Java book for KFT1 (buying today), and probably 3-5 more Cisco books for the CCNA and CCNA:S (buying these late May after I pass CCENT).
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Too many. Haven't done more than peek in them so far. They will get more use eventually! Office paid. icon_cheers.gif

-Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed
    -System Center Enterprise Suite Unleashed
    -Mastering VSphere 5
    -Group Policy:Fundamentals, Security and the Managed Desktop
    -Cert Guide: MCTS 70-680 by Don Poulton
    -SQL Cookbook
    -Crystal Reports for Dummies
    -Crystal Reports Encyclopedia
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Steve those Crystal report books would be great to get into. Read those read those!
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am being stubborn and don't want to learn it right now. But it's inevitable. icon_sad.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    I know I know, but you are bright guy and reporting is the future of IT. If you can get SQL down and Crystal Reports and/or Business Objects you will be in a wonderful place.
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Reading:
    CCNP route

Queue:
    TSHOOT
    CCNA Voice
    CVoice
    CIPT1
    CIPT2
    Routing TCP/IP I
    Routing TCP/IP II
    CCIE Routing and switching
    IPv6 for enterprise networks
    QoS

I tend to buy a book to read a reference and with the plan to then go back to them and read the whole thing.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The queue gets longer, but there's still not enough time to do everything I need:

CCNP ROUTE: Official Certification Guide
    CCNP ROUTE: Foundation Learning Guide (Funsies)
    Routing TCP/IP Vol 1/2 by Jeff Doyle
    CCNA: Voice - OCG
    CCNP SWITCH: OCG

Network Warrior
    Security+
    Linux+ "All in one" - Someday, Linux+ certified... probably after 3 years.
    Microsft Windows 7 Configuration - Because I wanted to read it
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

@ Rogue and Trif

Network much? :)

By the time you two get done with those books you'll be read to sit the CCIE :)
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice thread Patrick. I have the following queued up:

1. The Exchange 2010 Pocket Consultant
    2. Million Dollar Consulting Proposals - Alan Weiss
    3. How to Acquire Clients - Alan Weiss
    4. How To Write A Proposal That's Accepted Every Time - also Alan Weiss

Before I read any of the above though, I need to finish off the two books I have in my sig. Higher priority on these books, atm atleast. Wish there were more hours in the day.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In Progress:
    CCNP OCG
    Routing TCP 1 & 2

Queue:
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed
    Exchange Server 2010 Inside Out
    The Tao of Network Security Monitoring
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Currently reading:
    CWNA, CCNP ROUTE OCG, Packet Analysis 2nd Ed.

Queue: In order
    nmap (currently in Amazon's cart), CCNP SWITCH
    CWSP, Python Programming: Introduction to Computer Science 2nd ed., Python Programming for absolute beginner. (trying to decide which one I'm going to read first between the two)
    CCNP TSHOOT, Metasploit, All-in-One CEHv7 Exam Guide.
    Routing TCP/IP 1&2, TCP Illustrated Vol.1 2nd ed.

I got a lot more, but I these are my main ones.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
    N2IT wrote: »
    @ Rogue and Trif

I know! I think the microsoft book feels lonely just being the only black book up in the shelf. Right beside my Mazda Manuals :P

Thanks, thehourman, I have another book I just bought (Packet Analysis).

...I'll never catch up to the reading... icon_sad.gif
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    @Rogue
    I have been buying the pdf version of the books since I can't carry this books with me all the time. My work requires 90% travel.
    Yea, same here; I will never catch up to the reading. The only thing that is happening is me adding more books to the book list and hoping to reach the end.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    For a while now I've had of fully reading one book at a time.

Of course I'll read a Kindle book when travelling or not near book.

For example I'm reading my way through the CCDP book, but I have the Top Down Network Design on my Kindle I read through when doing nothing and not near that book.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    I've had that problem lately where I can't be near my book - the sheer size of the library makes it impossible to carry along while doing other things. My fiance was buying a car, between working (shuffling computers, dealing with tickets) I didn't really have space to carry the hulking OCG book along side.

I tried the ipad 2 christmas, but I didn't find it was good for me to read with. I took it with me to mother-in-laws house for vacation.

N2IT wrote: »
    @ Rogue and Trif

Nothing but networking. :) Maybe CCIE one day but at the moment I just want a good backround knowledge of all the technologies that I encounter.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    For example I'm reading my way through the CCDP book, but I have the Top Down Network Design on my Kindle I read through when doing nothing and not near that book.

I do the same. One book on audio for the commute (how to think and grow rich, Napoleon Hill), one on the kindle on the night stand (Classic Shell Scripting, Robbins/Beebe), then one on the Ipad which is my main focus and gets read all over (Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide, M. Jang).

My queue, I posted over here.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have several books that I would like to read in the near future.

After that I'm not sure. I'm trying not to buy any books that I might not read in the future. It's just way to easy. I also have plenty of book on my shelf that I have never read and need to get around to that are non-IT related. Oh, and I need to finish the Hobbit again before the release this year. Hey, even techies need to relax some time ;)
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A ton of Cisco docs and RFCs. Actually, anything helpful for the CCIE lab.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I'm going to steal all of Roguetadhg's books, because he has all the books I want. Of course, minus the Security+ and Microsoft stuff... But that's my queue. :)

Just messing around.

I have ICND2 by Odom and Todd Lammle's CCNA books that I'm going through right now.

I also just received my CCNA Voice book by Jeremy Cioara that I can't seem to put down.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    MAC_Addy wrote: »

I also just received my CCNA Voice book by Jeremy Cioara that I can't seem to put down.

I enjoyed reading that book. Got half way through it in a couple of days (already familiar with voice) wanted to book my test for the end of the week but the testing centre couldn't do the date and so I stopped reading it. Will probably book a test this summer and then start reading through it again.
    Hopefully you just reschuled and decided not to take the test at the last moment :P

• JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Ordered Hacking Exposed 5th Edition to read in some down time.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I keep buying ebooks on deals from various sites, but they keep piling up. Pretty much anything that isn't directly related to CCIE Lab study gets put on the run queue until this process is done.
    I keep buying ebooks on deals from various sites, but they keep piling up. Pretty much anything that isn't directly related to CCIE Lab study gets put on the run queue until this process is done.

So I know there's Cisco's 9.99 ebook deal of the day and Paerson's same 9.99 ebook deal of the day (which isn't always technical), but I'm curious to know what other sites you're finding book deal on. Granted my queue is a tad long at the moment.

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    onesaint wrote: »
    So I know there's Cisco's 9.99 ebook deal of the day and Paerson's same 9.99 ebook deal of the day (which isn't always technical), but I'm curious to know what other sites you're finding book deal on. Granted my queue is a tad long at the moment.

Oh, they're not always tech books. That's why I like my ipad for an ereader, I can pick up ebooks from virtually any source, since I have Kindle and Nook apps as well, sometimes stuff goes on sale, and I pick it up with the intent to read it later. And then there are books that I do pay 'full' price for and they just sit on the device and wait until I have time for them, many many O'Reily books are currently in this state.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've got 4 sitting around, just waiting to be read.

1. Sybex Project+
    2. IT Project Management from start to finish
    3. Web Technologies for WGU CUV1
    4. Beginning Java Objects
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A little off topic, but this is about books.. but once you buy an ebook i'm assuming you can download them as a PDF? Now if that's the case can you put that on a Kindle or any book viewing device? Reason why I ask is that I HATE reading PDF's on my screen - hurts my eyes after 10 minutes.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    Oh, they're not always tech books. That's why I like my ipad for an ereader, I can pick up ebooks from virtually any source, since I have Kindle and Nook apps as well, sometimes stuff goes on sale, and I pick it up with the intent to read it later. And then there are books that I do pay 'full' price for and they just sit on the device and wait until I have time for them, many many O'Reily books are currently in this state.

Agreed about the Ipad. It takes all formats and handles formatting well.

All my non-tech books are relegated to audiobooks for my commute. In fact a lot of them have been coming from the public library as of late. Do you catch O'Reilly books on sale and if so, where?

ETA: I just noticed some on the O'Reilly site: Get a Head Start on IPv6 Integration - Save 50% on These Ebooks - O'Reilly Media

MAC_Addy wrote: »
    A little off topic, but this is about books.. but once you buy an ebook i'm assuming you can download them as a PDF? Now if that's the case can you put that on a Kindle or any book viewing device? Reason why I ask is that I HATE reading PDF's on my screen - hurts my eyes after 10 minutes.

On those 9.99 book of the day, you can download the PDF and Epub. I'd say for the kidle grab the Epub as PDFs format horrible on Kindles (or at least on the Fire). That said, you can email PDFs to your kindle email for reading on the device AFAIK.