Options

What video material is best for CCNP?

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
I know that it is best to use a book and i am planning on buying the cisco press book, but what video training is the best out there?

Comments

• Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    CBTNuggets, INE CCNP Course, and TrainSignal..

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    wow thats a hand full :). Which single one would you recommend?
  • Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    CBTNuggets, as it includes some GNS3 topology file/labs that make it a little easier to grasp the core concepts..

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    IPExpert is coming out with a CCNP course on May 1st. I'm interested to hear some reviews about it.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm going to throw in another vote for CBT Nuggets, that's what I've been using for ROUTE and Jeremy Cioara is a great trainer. As pogue said, the series includes an in-depth look at how to set up GNS3, which is a big plus.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm also looking to purchase something, just looked at cbt nuggets and it looks great but... wow, $949 for only 6 months streaming??? Am i reading that correct?

Personally I can't afford that and I see the ine vids are $299. I used Train Signal for ccna and found them to be very good although I feel that the book was definitely needed in addition. Will also be using books for ccnp but think i'm going to go for the ine vids too.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've heard the INE CCNP videos are better than CBT, but I don't have the INE ones myself so I can't compare.

And yep, CBT has raised their prices from 'pretty high' to 'stupid, greedy high'. In my opinion that money would be better spent on lab equipment as I didn't find the videos nearly that valuable. Jeremy is a great teacher, don't get me wrong, but despite the hours and hours of video content in the series there's just so much material he skips over that is in far more detail in the books you'll need to know. I'm also curious if those new prices equate to new videos, or if they are using the same videos as before?

I built my home lab for around $1200, could have kept it under a grand if I wanted though, but I just can't imagine spending that much on videos I can't even keep!! I'm thinking of trying the INE CCNP videos after I finish reading the CCNP books - I doubt there is any way to avoid reading them, as dry as they may be they just contain too much good stuff that couldn't be packed into a video series.
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    astrogeek wrote: »
    but despite the hours and hours of video content in the series there's just so much material he skips over that is in far more detail in the books you'll need to know.

I second this. Save yourself some money, and more importantly - time. The videos won't give you the detail required to pass the exams, particularly CBT Nuggets. You really need to sit down with the FLG or OCG and hammer it out.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've used CBT from various sources and have both the INE and CBT Nuggets videos for CCNP R&S (as well as others), CCNA-Security/Voice from IPExpert, the Bowler Labs DVDs and the full set from Routhub Group...ok...so I may need to get a life at some stageicon_lol.gif

Lets see if I can some it up.

INE = $199 for an Associate level class, $299 for a Professional level class, downloadable,
    theory = good amount of detail,
    hands-on= good amount,
    delivery = content is a little dryer than Jeremy's at CBTN, that said we are talking IT after all where most subjects can be sleep inducing

CBTN = $499! each on DVD (I just checked the price on that, unbelievable, guess they really want you to subscribe, though the 24hr subscription gives you a good feel for whats on offer),
    theory = skips some areas but then there is only so much you can squeeze into any CBT series, some things get missed,
    hands-on = good amount,
    delivery = Jeremy's delivery style is enthusiastic and engaging

IPExpert = $xxx streaming only (however with the right IE/Firefox plugin, you can download the mp4)
    theory = too much in the way of powerpoint like slides (from what I've seen)
    hands-on = too little
    delivery = content is a little dryer than Jeremy's at CBTN

Routehub = $375 downloadable (of their entire collection, less for just parts of it), free updates for 12 months
    theory = not so deep, but that is not the market they are aiming at
    hands-on = this is where they excel, they mostly aim at "walk-through" video labs, though do have some "walk-through" workbooks as well

Bowler Labs = $99 (DVD's 1 & 2) downloadable
    theory = not so deep, but that is not the market they are aiming at
    hands-on = this is where they excel, they mostly aim at "walk-through" video labs in GNS3

Overall, no CBT material will be all things to all people, delivery style differs and the amount of detail varies...use either the OCG or the FLG (and I've seen posts about their differing content and style), and use the CBT as a supplement to the written word. I stream my CBT to the TV in the loungeroom, so much more watchable in comfort.

Hope this gives people something to go on.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used CBT nuggets on my lazy days when I needed to be spoon fed a little and didn't have the mental stamina to fight my way through a chapter in the FLG or OCG. I'll probably use them again as a quick refresher before I take TSHOOT, but as others have said, they just don't contain the detail you are going to need to pass these exams. That comes from time spent in the lab doing it over and over....
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am using cbt nuggets but also have Chris Bryant's routing guides to help. Bowler's vids seem good too. I might get these
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I’m typically a CBT Nuggets fan but was very disappointed with their SWITCH series. The new Chris Bryant videos are really good – even more so when you consider the price for the download version of the CCNP series (only $200).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Having just completed the CCNP track my thoughts on this are to double up on CBT and INE. While Jeremy Ciaora's teaching style is very effective, he does not cover 100% of everything that is required on the test. I used it to get the jist of the concepts and theory. INE, on the other hand, Brian Mcgahan is VERY DRY... I mean on the level of Chris Bryant dry. That being said, Brian's course covers EVERYTHING you will need to know for the exam, given you are able to sit through it all.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    Thus far I haven't really used any video material in any of my network studies, but sort of like the idea of it as a supplement to reading.

When looking at various CCNA video offerings, I always find myself "scrubbing" through the video samples because the pacing just seems so slow to me. The one exception I found in the CCNA videos I looked at was Brian McGahan. I actually felt like I could watch those videos and I already have access to the free videos streaming on the web site.

My biggest problem is that apparently I am different than the rest of the world in the fact that I don't like to watch videos lasting more than a couple of minutes on the computer. (and definitely do not want to watch 20-30 hours of video on a computer)

I want to watch them on my big screen TV in the other room.

Anyone buy any of the videos above and watch them on TV?

I think I would be most interested in INE and/or Chris Bryant videos so specific info on those would be great.

Thanks

Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    Carl's Certification Journey | The road to getting certified can often be bumpy
    Carl S.

http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    vinbuck wrote: »
    That comes from time spent in the lab doing it over and over....

I floated that idea with my first girlfriend. I was soon back doing it with the videos. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I haven't used any CCNP (only CCNA) video's but I hear INE has good material.
  • Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□

CBT Nuggets, Laptop, HDMI cable, 46" widescreen LCD TV, recliner, remote control and mouse.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Geek1969 wrote: »
    CBT Nuggets, Laptop, HDMI cable, 46" widescreen LCD TV, recliner, remote control and mouse.

I tried that one time found myself passed out on the couch
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I like INE just because I don't have to listen to all Jeremy Cioara's stories. Don't get me wrong, he's a good instructor but I just want the facts and not hours of blah blah blah!
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Carl_S_901 wrote: »
    Thus far I haven't really used any video material in any of my network studies, but sort of like the idea of it as a supplement to reading.

When looking at various CCNA video offerings, I always find myself "scrubbing" through the video samples because the pacing just seems so slow to me. The one exception I found in the CCNA videos I looked at was Brian McGahan. I actually felt like I could watch those videos and I already have access to the free videos streaming on the web site.

My biggest problem is that apparently I am different than the rest of the world in the fact that I don't like to watch videos lasting more than a couple of minutes on the computer. (and definitely do not want to watch 20-30 hours of video on a computer)

I want to watch them on my big screen TV in the other room.

I think I would be most interested in INE and/or Chris Bryant videos so specific info on those would be great.

Thanks

Carl S.

Carl's Certification Journey | The road to getting certified can often be bumpy

I have issues with how slow the videos are as well, I just use a video player that lets me double the play speed...makes Jeremy sound like he is on crack but it also saves a lot of time and is still comprehensible
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like Jeremy's teaching but he does kinda rush over some stuff. His labs are good. I'm a big fan of Chris Bryant,Rene Mollenar and Steve Bowler. I like Chris because he explains things well and goes into good detail. Steve Bowler has some very high quality labs and he is also a very thorough and likes to take things nice and slow. Suits me fine.
    So far I haven't read any Cisco books(OCG FLL etc) and I'm going to keep it that way. I aim to study without the use of any of this because they make things over complicated than they probably are.

I used to watch vids on the big screen by connecting up my laptop but stopped doing that. I find it better to watch on PC as I sometimes copy the labs or write stuff down as go along.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am just now cracking into CBT nuggets, about 6 videos in covering the EIGRP concepts for the route test. I really like Jeremy's teaching style and enthusiasm. I was probably going to dip into Chris Bryant next before I hit the books hard. I don't think there are any videos out there that are going to give you everything you need. I think it is still very important to use the books and practice from that as well. Videos will give a good introduction and visual to how the technology works but using the books as a technical resource and implementing it yourself will allow you to gain the knowledge you need. Just my $.02.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    INE's videos really go deep and looking back at them now, they really prepare you for the exams. CBT Nuggets will always be my go to when I want to refresh on concepts because JC's method is very easy to absorb. He's just not as thorough as Brian McGahan.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess me being a newer guy to the field I have never heard of Brian McGahan. Very impressive person. I will have to check out his video material as well. Thanks for the input.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    I guess me being a newer guy to the field I have never heard of Brian McGahan. Very impressive person. I will have to check out his video material as well. Thanks for the input.

he's a 3xCCIE (R&S, Security, and SP). the founder of Internetwork Experts and of the "Brian's" (the other being 5xCCIE Brian Dennis)... got his first CCIE when he was 20. Really sharp guy. youtube has a few of his lectures online.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I think the whitepapers and technotes on cisco.com are a good resource along with the OG
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    has anyone successfully used CCIE ATC (INE) to do the NP as well?
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    I have the advanced tech ccie series. I have found it very beneficial for ccnp. I used to for ROUTE a fair bit and whilst i didnt pass with flying colours I did pass. Not sure how much influence the vids had on the exam but for personal knowledge I find them good. In comparison i find the ccnp vids to generally go for a longer duration per vid covering on the core basics which is what you want. Then the ccie vids zoom in on features within the different topics. Like for example goes into detail on spanning tree toolkit and all the other intricate features of all the technologies.

• Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Jeremy has ADHD he's fun and get sidestracked lol.

Brian McGahan means serious business he has to pay his employees, he will break down the whole story to you.

CBT = Primer
    INE = To get down to the bottom of it.
  • Options
    EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    I would go for INE's CCIE ATC. It does go beyond CCNP, but there's nothing wrong with that.